Super Fast: Ham Steak Apple Skillet

IMG_4230.JPG

I am still making dinner for breakfast, well except for last week when we were off of work and school due to blizzard conditions and record snowfall. The mornings I do cook, I am finding that I have to be very organized and fast. Vegetables need to be roasted at very high temperatures and cut into smaller peices in order to get done in less than 30 minutes and most of my cooking techniques need tweaking to get food on the table in very little time without sacrificing taste or texture. This recipe gets it all done in a flash. Meat and fruit in one pan while the cauliflower roasted, this dinner was on the table in less than 30 minutes.

Ham Steak Apple Skillet
2 ham steaks
3 T. butter
1 T. Dijon mustard
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups diced apples

In a large skillet melt butter, add sugar and mustard and bring to a simmer. Add apples and cover. Let simmer for 5 minutes then top with ham steaks. cover with lid and let simmer 10 minutes more or until apples are soft but not mushy. Remove ham to a platter and top with apples and sauce. You may also use maple syrup in place of the sugar. Spices such as cinnamon or allspice may be added as well. Be creative by adding nuts or other fruits like pineapple. Serves 4-6.

1. Maria
    Posted February 16, 2010 at 1:24 PM | Permalink

Fast is always good:) I love the apple topping!

2. Eliana
    Posted February 16, 2010 at 1:33 PM | Permalink

I love fast, easy dinners. This one looks amazing and like its so full of flavor.

3. HoneyB
    Posted February 16, 2010 at 2:24 PM | Permalink

fast & yummy!!

4. Mimi
    Posted February 16, 2010 at 4:05 PM | Permalink

Fast, easy and delicious just the right criteria for a week night dinner.
    Mimi

5. Sabrina
    Posted February 16, 2010 at 6:20 PM | Permalink

that sounds soooo good. I am putting the ingredients on my shopping list now.

6. Ingrid
    Posted February 16, 2010 at 9:29 PM | Permalink

Hi, Robin Sue! I've had ham steaks before and didn't care much for the taste. Is there a brand you recommend?
    ~ingrid

Posted February 16, 2010 at 9:37 PM | Permalink

Ingrid- Smithfield always has good hams, try them if you have their brand where you live.

8. grace
    Posted February 17, 2010 at 7:37 AM | Permalink

excellent. this is appropriate for any meal, and it's down-home cooking at its best. pig in any form + apples = awesome.

9. EAT!
    Posted February 17, 2010 at 8:21 AM | Permalink

Not much of a morning person, but I am inspired to start making better breakfasts besides bagels or cereal.

I would gladly get out of bed if someone made this for me!

10. Karen
    Posted February 17, 2010 at 1:25 PM | Permalink

Apples and ham/pork go so good together. I bet you''re a busy bee in the mornings!

11. noble pig
    Posted February 17, 2010 at 6:09 PM | Permalink

I'm amazed you are still oing it. This sounds perfect, I eat it as breakfast too!

12. oneordinaryday
    Posted February 17, 2010 at 7:53 PM | Permalink

I was just sharing your dinner for breakfast brainstorm with my sister. I still think it's smart, but I can't get myself organized to do it!

I'm passing a blog award onto you, Robin. Stop by to find out about it. : )

~Michelle

13. pigpigscorner
    Posted February 18, 2010 at 8:03 AM | Permalink

Simple and delicious!!

14. gfe--gluten free easily
    Posted February 27, 2010 at 10:43 AM | Permalink

Oh, this is an awesome quick dish, Robin! Hard to go wrong with ham and potatoes, and then some apples added to sweeten the deal–great idea! 🙂

Shirley

15. Hannah
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 11:16 PM | Permalink

This is one meal BOTH of my picky eaters wanted more of 🙂 It was easy to follow, quick, and YUMMY! Thank you!