Today is National Wear Red Day®

CrossFit Tyson’s in RED

Update! New Recipes added…

Now that is one good looking group up there. This is a shot taken at the CrossFit gym where I work out. This group inspires me to keep in shape and work hard. Being physically active is one great way to stay fit and build a strong, healthy heart. Another way to insure good heart health is to put healthy foods in our bodies. Below are some recipes that have been sent in from my friends around the web, not only delicious but all heart healthy too.

Let’s start with soup from Chaya’s Comfy Cook Blog. Now I do love a good stuffed cabbage dish but Chaya has created this gluten-free Unstuffed Cabbage Soup. Very heart healthy and hearty. Visit her site for more gluten-free recipes. Chaya also has a blog called Sweet and Savory and shares a post with us that is called Meatless Monday which links us to so many more heart, healthy recipes. This is a wonderful place to start if you are ready to make some healthy changes in your eating habits.

Claudia all the way from Hawaii shares from her blog Honey from Rock– I love that name- a heart, healthy Chicken Salad with Olives and Carambola. Ooh carambola, now that sounds wonderful. I am happy to have met Claudia through this. Here I am under piles of snow and just when I am all tired of it all, here comes Claudia with her sunshine. I also think Claudia looks smashing in red!

Kristi of My Favorite Recipes sent me a touching and personal story of her mother’s own battle with heart disease and how a massive heart attack took her life. Kristi sends in her recipe for Heart Healthy Homemade Salsa, yes! we can have a spicy life on heart healthy foods. But more importantly I would appreciate it if you went over to Kristi’s blog and viewed the lovely picture of her mother. You see it is a very personal disease that robs our mothers, sisters, and wives all too young. Kristi and her daughter Presley, who was born on the one year anniversary of her mother’s death, look beautiful in RED. What a precious blessing!

Michelle from One Ordinary Day sent in a recipe for Sweet Potato with Kale and Ricotta. This meal in one gives us nutrients from deep green vegetables AND orange colored veggies. Talk about eating a rainbow in one meal. Hello antioxidants.

Jenn from Slim-Shoppin’ sends us a healthy cookie that won’t bust the calorie budget. Full of heart healthy grains these cookies can be made up ahead of time and frozen. That is why she dubbed them Freezer Cookies.

Jenn’s sister Biz from Biggest Diabetic Loser, who is only a loser in the sense of the weight she is losing but a huge winner in eating healthy, sends in her Glazed Tofu With Broccoli recipe. Weighing in at only 358 calories per serving this dish will not have you crying at the scale.

Yes you can eat pizza living a heart healthy life-style! Fallon of Fallon’s Cucina gives us her pizza recipe called Pita Pizza By Fallon. Using pita bread helps us whip up a personal pizza in no time. Read the rest of her post as she shares with us a super easy snacky-poo that I must remember to make for when I am out and about.

Catherine of The Unconfidential Cook sends us her very unique recipe for Roasted Radishes. I had never heard of roasting radishes before and was very happy to see a new way to serve them. This recipe caused quite a bit of converstaion on her blog and I was not the only one wondering how these little jems would taste roasted. Catherine writes, “Yes, the roasting did kill most of the bite. Interesting…they almost tasted like potatoes.” Well I will be trying this for sure.

From me right here in Big Red Kitchen is a recipe I did a while back but needs to be seen again is Grilled Rosemary Chicken and Peaches. If you do not care for chicken thighs then you may substitute chicken breasts. Grilling peaches is a wonderful way to caramelize their natural sugar, greatly enhancing their flavor.

After visiting the NHBLI website I was saddened to read some of the testimonies women wrote. I was so shocked to see women in their 40’s suffering from heart disease. It got worse, even women in their 30’s and some as early as their twenties all suffered from heart disease. Ladies know your risks, understand your body, and pay attention to symptoms. Get your RED on today and spread the word about women’s heart disease.

Michelle of One Ordinary Day is wearing RED today, are you?

1. Penny
    Posted February 5, 2010 at 7:48 AM | Permalink

Good for all of you! I love all of the recipes. We all need to get off the couch and start moving and eating better.

2. Ingrid
    Posted February 5, 2010 at 10:27 AM | Permalink

I'm the biggest loser! I wasn't able to make anything AND I didn't take a photo of us wearing red. I do have a good excuse though. It involved a baseball and my mouth and face. 🙁

FYI, Michelle's a show-off! And I'm gonna tell her too. :)LOL

Happy Friday, Robin Sue!
    ~ingrid

3. Sheila
    Posted February 5, 2010 at 11:33 AM | Permalink

What great looking recipes; I am all into that sweet potato and those freezer cookies, and. . . well all of them look tasty. I'll remember my red today; gotta look for a red workout shirt because I'll be working out most the day since I missed last night's workout and I ate waffles for breakfast!

4. biz319
    Posted February 5, 2010 at 11:43 AM | Permalink

What a great round up of recipes – thanks for doing this Robin Sue! Hope you have an awesome weekend – we are supposed to get more snow 🙁

5. Mimi
    Posted February 5, 2010 at 12:00 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue,
    Thanks for the nudge on women's heart health awareness. We need more of these.
    Mimi

6. grace
    Posted February 5, 2010 at 12:06 PM | Permalink

does a red face count? i totally meant to do this! ah well, you know what they say about the best-laid plans. 🙂
    great collection of recipes–thanks, robin sue!

7. Fallon
    Posted February 5, 2010 at 12:15 PM | Permalink

Wow how long have you been going to the Cross fit gym?

Some good recipes here, those cookies are whispering my name. 😉

This was a great idea Robin, and I'm glad I was able to participate!

8. Alison
    Posted February 5, 2010 at 12:55 PM | Permalink

I wish I could have been there for the pic!! Oh well:-) Thanks for the recipes. We may try some of those this weekend:-)

9. Karen
    Posted February 5, 2010 at 2:12 PM | Permalink

Great post! Love the look of those peaches!

10. Kristi (Turley) Jackson
    Posted February 5, 2010 at 6:57 PM | Permalink

Oh Robin…thank you so very much! Thank you for letting me be a part of your event!

11. DailyChef
    Posted February 5, 2010 at 7:47 PM | Permalink

Thanks for the awareness! And the recipes you put up look amazing. Too bad I can only try one for dinner tonight 🙂

12. Claudia
    Posted February 5, 2010 at 8:26 PM | Permalink

Nice job with this event and round-up, Robin. A lot of recipes I want to try.

13. 12th Man Training Table
    Posted February 5, 2010 at 9:01 PM | Permalink

Just stumbled onto this site looking for a roasted beet recipe. Spent about five minutes scanning your pages and knew I had to add you to my blogroll list. Cheers!

14. Sabrina
    Posted February 6, 2010 at 1:33 PM | Permalink

I wore my red coat shoveling snow today. It is a small step. The next step is to eat something healthy today. Now, the shock of something healthy might do my body in. Robin, you know I grew up on velveeta and bacon.

15. unconfidentialcook
    Posted February 7, 2010 at 12:17 PM | Permalink

Oh,no! I kept checking back all week because I wanted to submit my roasted radishes. I'm sorry….Any chance I can add them somehow?

16. comfycook
    Posted February 8, 2010 at 12:27 AM | Permalink

You got some really good recipes. I had no time, last week to really go through them so here I am.

There are a number, I want to make. Thanks for doing this. Hope it made at least, a dent and made others more aware.

17. unconfidentialcook
    Posted February 10, 2010 at 11:59 PM | Permalink

Thank you for including the radishes!!!