Chorizo Stuffed Dates Wrapped in Bacon

More Food-on-Sticks, Because Food-on-Sticks Rule:
Chicken Satay
Andouille and Sweet Potato Kebabs
Cream Cheese Sheet Cake
Leftover Ice Cream Cake

We attended a Martini Party the other night and needed to bring an appetizer. Knowing that about every flavor of martini would be served, I wanted a food that would compliment each drink- sweet or savory. So I went for the 3 S’s- Sweet, Spicy, and Smokey. I also wanted something on a toothpick so that the consumers of the appetizer could easily eat while holding a drink all the while retaining clean fingers. After perusing Foodgawker I spotted Andrea’s Chorizo Stuffed Dates Wrapped in Bacon– 3 ingredients that matched my criteria and all on a toothpick.

This appetizer comes together very quickly once you prepare each ingredient. Slice the bacon in thirds, remove the casings from about 3 chorizo, and using a scissors, cut one side of each pitted date open so that you may stuff them. I am sure that any sausage will do, but be sure that it is spicy. Although my chorizo had an excellent flavor, it could have been a bit hotter. So know your brand of sausage first.

These were excellent little bites with big flavor. I was really surprised how sweet the dates came through once they were caramelized. I will be making this again and would love to try it with andouille sausage as well.

Chorizo Stuffed Dates Wrapped in Bacon
10 ounces pitted dates
1 pound bacon, sliced in thirds
about 6 ounces chorizo, raw, casings removed

Using a scissors, cut one side of each date open and stuff with a scant teaspoon of chorizo. Wrap the stuffed date with bacon and secure with a toothpick. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake in 400 degree oven for about 15-18 minutes. Watch closely as the bottoms can burn easily due to the natural sugars in the dates. Makes about 45 pieces.

1. Fallon
    Posted March 1, 2010 at 12:06 PM | Permalink

Oh my this reminds me of my favorite tapa at my favorite restaurant. Bacon wrapped blue cheese almond stuffed dates with a balsamic glaze reduction.. mmmm!

The spiciness of the sausage and the sweetness from the date, yum! These types of party foods are always a hit with crowds!

2. dawn
    Posted March 1, 2010 at 12:25 PM | Permalink

oh those sound so good. what kind of martini's were served? would love to know and try. lol

3. grace
    Posted March 1, 2010 at 3:31 PM | Permalink

classic! and you're so right–there's something about food on a stick that's completely appealing. i guess it's the barbarian in me coming out to play. 🙂

4. Joan Nova
    Posted March 1, 2010 at 3:54 PM | Permalink

There's another S that you omitted. The bacon could be 'smokey' and 'salty'. Whatever the lettering, it's a delicious combination.

5. biz319
    Posted March 1, 2010 at 6:00 PM | Permalink

I've made something similar before, but I split open the fig and schmered goat cheese before wrapping in bacon – loved the tanginess of it!

Sounds like a great time, although I am not much of a martini girl – just red wine! 😀

Happy Monday!

6. stepehn
    Posted March 1, 2010 at 8:43 PM | Permalink

yum.. and how about a date, smoked bacon tart with formage blanc. smoky sweet and tangy.

7. ArchaeologyAnna
    Posted March 1, 2010 at 8:54 PM | Permalink

This sounds delicious! I had something similar to this at a wedding but without the chorizo. Definitely think the chorizo would make it phenomenal. I will have to try this at my next party!

8. Peter M
    Posted March 1, 2010 at 8:54 PM | Permalink

Appetizers like these are dangerous. I would hover around this plate or follow the waiter walking around the room offering them.

9. Mimi
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 12:27 AM | Permalink

Great combination of flavors. The kids would love to have a diner where all of the food was on sticks.
    Mimi

10. JadeLD
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 6:51 AM | Permalink

Wow these sounds so weird and amazing at the same time! I think I'll have to give these a try.
    Jade

11. Talia
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 11:23 AM | Permalink

I never would have thought to put these items together. It sounds so yummy!

A must-have at my next Open House/Cocktail Hour.

Thanks for sharing!

12. Karen
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 3:27 PM | Permalink

I bet these are really delicious. I love dates 🙂

13. HoneyB
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 8:53 PM | Permalink

I'm betting the sweet from the date, the spicy from the Chorizo and the salt from the bacon is a mixture of pure heaven!

14. grahamstravelblog
    Posted March 3, 2010 at 11:28 AM | Permalink

Those look really good. As a big proponent of bacon, I wholeheartedly approve of this usage. Now if my wife's boss didn't keep Kosher then I could make these at our next gathering.

15. Mary
    Posted March 3, 2010 at 5:28 PM | Permalink

A spiced up devil on horseback! I like it!!

16. Christina and Jacob
    Posted March 7, 2010 at 6:47 AM | Permalink

These look so yummy and delicious. I have to try it sometime!

17. pigpigscorner
    Posted March 7, 2010 at 4:41 PM | Permalink

This is so good! Love date and sausages combo!

18. Ingrid
    Posted March 7, 2010 at 9:47 PM | Permalink

Looks really good!

I've never had dates before but I bought some the other day to make sticky toffee pudding. If I have any left over I'll give this a try.
    ~ingrid

19. gfe--gluten free easily
    Posted March 8, 2010 at 9:44 PM | Permalink

These look and sound phenomenal, Robin! I hate bacon-wrapped dates at our special dinner at the POM blogger harvest festival. No stuffing in the dates, but they were still wonderful. Some would say that just anything you wrap in bacon is good, but I think dates and bacon are a great combo. Will pass this on to a chorizo and bacon loving blogger friend and hope she makes some for me. 😉

Shirley

20. Debbie
    Posted March 8, 2010 at 11:10 PM | Permalink

I've always wanted to try dates wrapped in bacon…and we love chorizo, so I think these would be a great appetizer for us.

21. Diane-The WHOLE Gang
    Posted March 9, 2010 at 6:21 PM | Permalink

Shirley-gfe just shared this with me. She knows what a nut I am for chorizo and for bacon. These sound great. Can't wait to give them a try.

22. Jebba
    Posted March 26, 2010 at 2:54 PM | Permalink

This is very similar to a popular tapas we had all the time in Spain. Next time stuff some blue cheese or gorgonzola and an almond in there – you will not be disappointed.