How to Eat a Topkuss or Dickmann’s the Grown-Up Way

Warning: This is a clean post, so if the title has made you giggle then you think just like me.

Have you ever heard of people talking about various and quirky ways they like to eat something, for example, my Dad likes to eat his cornbread crumbled in a glass of milk, my friend likes beans on toast with a poached egg on top, some of our family eats rice crackers over their popcorn and popcorn on their clam chowder, and I like to eat my cupcakes with the bottom ripped off and placed over the frosting so it is like a cupcake sandwich. One time while eating a Dickmann’s (yes the name always gives me a good chuckle), one of Himself’s German co-workers introduced to me a way to eat them “grown-up” style. I don’t know if all Germans eat them this way but this is how his family enjoyed them. Watch the video to see the grown-up version of eating a Dickmann’s. Dickmann’s or Topkuss can be found in some European grocers here in the States or you can get them here. Nabisco’s Mallowmars would work too.

Do you have a quirky but yummy way to eat something? Share.

PS- I also like to eat PopTarts toasted and smathered in butter. I probably should go get help for that one.

1. Lori
    Posted March 29, 2010 at 9:47 AM | Permalink

Giggle, never heard of these, giggle. My husband thinks no one should be named Dick cause thats just cruel.

I have to say I eat my cupcakes the exact same way you do. Love it that way!

2. Fallon
    Posted March 29, 2010 at 10:40 AM | Permalink

haha nice post!! If I eat a cupcake I love to eat the top part first and then I'll pick at the rest of the cupcake. I'm all about the frosting!

I'm trying to think if I eat anything in a different way and I can't really recall if I do. I know people who use ranch for everything like tacos, burritos, and even pizza.

3. Barb, Diabetic Snacker
    Posted March 29, 2010 at 11:00 AM | Permalink

Your cupcade idea sounds very interesting. I'm gonna have to try that! I'll only eat plain poptarts no frosting on them but I like them with scrambled eggs.

4. Mimi
    Posted March 29, 2010 at 11:17 AM | Permalink

This looks yummy to me.
    Mimi

5. dawn
    Posted March 29, 2010 at 11:39 AM | Permalink

OMG pop tarts with butter? girl i need to try that! WOW. what i like is on my blog and everyone hated it. but i think because not many of them are true foodies (or NY'ers LOL)

6. Karen
    Posted March 29, 2010 at 11:43 AM | Permalink

Yes, I giggled and thought "Oh, my… how to eat a Dickmanns on BRK???" LOL

When we were kids and would have ice cream, I always wanted to mash it up, swirl it around and make 'soft' ice cream out of it. I was always told not to play with my food. So now, just because I can, I always smash and swirl my ice cream. 🙂

7. grahamstravelblog
    Posted March 29, 2010 at 12:16 PM | Permalink

I am totally going to try this as soon as I'm done typing. I got some knock of Malomars for an article I'm writing and they are pretty good. We only have 7 real Malomars left in the house and my wife would kill me if I did this with them so I'll experiment with the knock offs. Hopefully this will make them edible. Thanks.

8. Alison
    Posted March 29, 2010 at 12:35 PM | Permalink

When I eat red velvet cake, I always eat around the layers of icing. This is mostly because I love the icing and save it for last. I do this with cupcakes as well. I rip the bottom off and eat it first, then eat the top. Also, when it comes to Samoas,I will stick it on my finger and eat around the whole. I am weird. I have never have had a Topkuss before, they look great!!!

9. Kari
    Posted March 29, 2010 at 2:03 PM | Permalink

I like to eat my biscuits with ketchup! And chicken wings with a fork. 🙂

10. Maria
    Posted March 29, 2010 at 3:39 PM | Permalink

We all have our favorite ways to do things, keeps things fun and interesting:)

11. Anonymous
    Posted March 29, 2010 at 3:44 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue,

I think we have the same quirky sense of humor– you know the kind where it's just part of your natural, every-day dialog. Anyway, I really enjoy your fun-ness! 🙂 As far as what I eat in a unique fashion?!? Well,…. let's just say I have plenty of "isms", as we call them around here. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! ~Sharon

12. Otis
    Posted March 29, 2010 at 4:08 PM | Permalink

I do the cupcake sandwich thing too! I thought I was the only one.

13. grace
    Posted March 29, 2010 at 4:34 PM | Permalink

for the record, cornbread in milk is awesome. also, i've never witnessed anyone eating cupcakes as you've described, but you'd better believe i'll be testing your method. 🙂

14. Kelly
    Posted March 29, 2010 at 9:07 PM | Permalink

I totally tee-hee'd at the title. I have confess that I've only heard of Mallowmars in the last year of so and I still had no idea what they were. I think they're a regional thing? Anyway, love the idea of boozing up dessert.

I've never heard of making a "sandwich" out of a cupcake – interesting. The only quirky things I can think of are more OCD than anything. I always eat broken chips and pretzels first and I always divide colored candy by color and eat them until there are equal numbers of each. Then I eat them in rotation, red always last. It's my fave. Mmmm…red.

15. the domestic mama
    Posted March 30, 2010 at 7:14 AM | Permalink

I have never seen those- they look good. I guess I eat my rice and potatoes weird. With ketchup on both. I'm sure there is more- but it's early now!

16. Ingrid
    Posted March 30, 2010 at 11:54 AM | Permalink

Um, I used to pour milk in my soda. 🙂

Never heard of these…very interesting.

Butter on pop tarts? Are they the plain or frosted ones? Frosted? EW! 🙂
    ~ingrid

17. oneordinaryday
    Posted March 30, 2010 at 2:06 PM | Permalink

I like your cupcake-eating procedure, Robin. Smart lady!

My quirky thing is a Reeses cup. You have to eat all around the edges first, then enjoy the middle. : )

18. Grumpy & HoneyB
    Posted March 30, 2010 at 4:26 PM | Permalink

Oh yeah, that looks YUMMO!

I like to microwave my cheesecurd just a little bit til it starts to melt then eat it (makes it squeaky). I also will eat the chocolate around the ouside of a twix, then eat the caramel, then the cookie. 😉 I kind of do that with all chocolate bars.

19. Sabrina
    Posted March 30, 2010 at 9:13 PM | Permalink

I don't think I eat anything in a weird way. But my best friend growing up smeared butter all over her toasted pop-tart too.

20. Lisa Rittel
    Posted March 31, 2010 at 7:22 AM | Permalink

My family and I have been living in Germany for 10 years now. The kids, of course, love Dickmanns. Their favorite way to eat them is smashed between two halves of a broetchen which is a crunchy roll.
    I usually eat the chocolate and the marshmallow and throw away the waffle part. LOL I don't like them.

Lisa
    p.s. I love toasted and buttered pop tarts. I thought I was the only one to eat them that way.

21. scottnjoyce
    Posted March 31, 2010 at 5:21 PM | Permalink

These look great!
    You do need some help with the poptart thing though! Never buy them!! We all need you around to keep writing such great blogs!
    Joyce