Ploughman’s Lunch

Ploughman’s Lunch- popular British pub fare, its name based on the simple offerings eaten by a ploughman or farmer while in the field, consisting of but not limited to crusty bread, butter, cheese, relish or what Brits call pickle- usually Branston Pickle or Piccalilli, cheese, cold meat, and fruit such as half an apple.

Big Red Kitchen’s Ploughman’s Lunch:
1. Cornichon Pickles
2. Branston Pickle 520g
3. Heinz Piccalilli (Chutney) 280g ( Pack of 2)
4. Sliced Apple
5. Butter
6. Grape Tomatoes
7. Horseradish Cheese from my trip to Lancaster County, PA
8. Sweet Bologna from my trip to Lancaster County, PA
9. Pickled Beets
10. Olives
11. Turkish Flat Bread, 15 inches wide- look how I used it as the platter! Clever girl that one.

Now that you get the idea, go make you own- be unique.
And don’t forget the cold beer, it’s pub food remember.

1. Fallon
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 10:07 AM | Permalink

In Germany I remember we use to eat like this for breakfast. Fresh bread, cheeses, meats, pickles and vegetables. All spread out, fresh and delicious!

2. Sweet P
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 10:26 AM | Permalink

This is how I pack my lunch to take to work. I never knew there was a name for it. I always thought of it as "snack" lunch.

3. Karen
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 1:53 PM | Permalink

Every now and then, my gardener and I will make up a cheese/cracker/ goodie platter, add a glass of wine and there's a nice weekend mid-afternoon snack while we're waiting to grill for dinner. This 'platter' looks great!

4. Joan Nova
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 5:42 PM | Permalink

I love meals like this. In Italy, they'd call it an antipasta. And, yes, you are a clever one!

5. oneordinaryday
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 5:45 PM | Permalink

I love meals where you feel like your eating appetizers/snacks. I like this idea.

6. Tonya
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 8:15 PM | Permalink

My Swedish Grandma used to make platters like this. sans olives. You would find some smoked salmon, bread, and lutvisk……

7. Mimi
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 10:59 PM | Permalink

Looks delicious and I love the fact that I get to have beer with my lunch!
    Mimi

8. the domestic mama
    Posted March 24, 2010 at 6:55 AM | Permalink

oh how fun it would be to nibble on that with a cold pint! 🙂

9. EAT!
    Posted March 24, 2010 at 9:30 AM | Permalink

My favorite way to eat and eat and eat and drink.

10. The Cooking Photographer
    Posted March 24, 2010 at 11:50 AM | Permalink

Robin Sue this is awesome! I love eating like this, and now I know somewhere in the world this is acceptable.

Laura

11. Ingrid
    Posted March 24, 2010 at 3:03 PM | Permalink

It's a perfect idea for a weekend lunch for the kids.
    ~ingrid

12. biz319
    Posted March 24, 2010 at 3:40 PM | Permalink

My daughter and I LOVE eating like that – a little bit of everything!

I'll have to make that for us soon – thanks for the reminder!

Are your kids on spring break yet? I always look forward to your creative ideas – even though my kids are almost grown ups!

13. Lori
    Posted March 24, 2010 at 9:44 PM | Permalink

My daughters and I love this kind of meal. Never knew of Ploughmans lunch. interesting.

14. Barbara
    Posted March 27, 2010 at 10:37 AM | Permalink

What a super platter! We'd love that on a hot day…easy on the cook too!

15. Penny
    Posted March 28, 2010 at 12:36 PM | Permalink

We had a meal like this with friends recently. It is a fun way to eat together. Love your choices.