How Robin Sue Does an Easter Egg Hunt

This post is not late, it is extremely early. Bookmark for next year.

About a week prior to Easter, Daelyn said to me, “Momma, are we going to hunt Easter this year?” “You mean hunt Easter Eggs Daelyn,” I said. But the correction did not stick. Daelyn still continued to call it hunting Easter. Hunting Easter. Interesting. I should probably listen to Daelyn and Hunt Easter more often than hunt eggs.

Crazy Robin Sue…

Is known for her Easter Egg Hunts. Not only does she fill eggs, she tapes a variety of treats to the outside of each egg too. This started when one year she purchased little cars and Fun Snaps to stuff in the eggs and realized that they would not fit even in the largest of eggs. So she thought “outside of the egg” and taped the toys to the exterior of the egg. She also assigned an egg color to each child so that young and old got the same amount of eggs by the end of the hunt. The tradition stuck.

It does get silly after a while trying to hide these not so incognito eggs.

So we do have to put them in out of reach places forcing the children to help each other.

Here’s How It’s Done…
1. For each child participating chose an egg color. If there are many children you will have to purchase primary and pastel colored eggs. You may even have to mix the colors by placing together a pink half and yellow half or blue and green, or orange and purple- you get the idea, right?
2. Each child will receive that same exact treats. Fill one egg from each color pile with the same candy and tape on the same treat. Continue until all the eggs are filled and treats adhered to the eggs.
3. Hide the eggs. Go easier on the younger children, while making it a challenge for the older ones.
4. At hunt time assign each child their own egg color.
5. Mark each child’s hand with the color egg they are to find. Tell them how many are out there for them to find.
6. Give each child a pretty gift bag or basket to place their found eggs.
7. Ready, Set, Go!

We had a great time watching the children dump their baskets to count how many more eggs they needed to find (some even sampled as they went!)

This small disaster cracked everyone up other than its owner of course. This bunny completely lost its head over the first HOT Easter we have had in years. Poor bunny.

You know what to put in eggs, but here are some ideas for the outsides…
microwave popcorn
small chips bags
small toys
Fun Snaps
nail polish
chapstick
movie gift card

Oh by the way, my children do not get filled Easter Baskets, but empty ones instead- they have to hunt for their goodies. Hee hee.

1. Alison
    Posted April 7, 2010 at 7:30 AM | Permalink

I love this idea! My family's tradition was to color Easter eggs together a couple of days before Easter. We always had a contest to see whose was the best. My dad nearly always won because he is so creative. One year he even melted crayons on a couple of his eggs for a very cool effect! Those are some of my favorite memories.

2. Penny
    Posted April 7, 2010 at 8:28 AM | Permalink

Great idea Robin Sue. I am going to pass this idea to my Son and DIL. Our Rachel hunts eggs with her cousins every year.

3. Joan Nova
    Posted April 7, 2010 at 8:53 AM | Permalink

You are the best-est! That's a great idea…so fair and a lot of fun.

4. Fallon
    Posted April 7, 2010 at 10:45 AM | Permalink

How awesome is that! I like that the kids get to search for their own color and everything is equal that way. I miss being that age again and enjoying all these holidays. Can't wait to have kids one day so I can enjoy the holidays once again 😉

5. Karen
    Posted April 7, 2010 at 12:04 PM | Permalink

Great idea! When we were kids (3 sisters) we hunted for our Easter eggs. Our 'Easter Bunny' hid everything in three's, so when we found one treat, we knew that if we came upon another one, it wasn't for us – it was for one of the other sisters. I only had one child, so hiding eggs for her was easy 😉

6. Ingrid
    Posted April 7, 2010 at 12:58 PM | Permalink

Great ideas. I really like color coordinating the eggs to the kids.

This year because my children are older, they searched for eggs filled with a dollar bill. (It's actually cheaper!) Joe and my brothers do a great job hiding the eggs and it takes (my three) some time to find them all. This year we surprised the "loser" of the egg hunt with a $5 bonus. (lol, next year they won't know if we're giving a "bonus" to the person with the most eggs or the least!) Now instead of getting candy, which I don't like them to have or a bunch of useless stuff they got some spending money. (It's spring break here.) Seriously this winded up being a money saving idea.
    ~ingrid

7. grace
    Posted April 7, 2010 at 6:23 PM | Permalink

you're an awfully clever lady, robin sue. i hope i remember this next year!

8. oneordinaryday
    Posted April 7, 2010 at 8:54 PM | Permalink

What a fun tradition!

My kids and I filled over 3000 eggs for the egg hunt at church this year, but I didn't get nearly as creative as you!! : )

9. Sophie
    Posted April 8, 2010 at 4:05 AM | Permalink

What a fun & great idea, Robin Sue!! Lovely eggs too!

Your kids are looking good!

10. Kristi (Turley) Jackson
    Posted April 8, 2010 at 9:42 AM | Permalink

Thank you for this idea! I'm going to use it next year when Presley is old enough to hunt. I'll let the big kids (both will be 12 next year) help her on their hunt!!

11. biz319
    Posted April 8, 2010 at 12:23 PM | Permalink

You are such a creative Momma! I miss the Easter egg coloring now that my kids are big! 🙁

I love the color coded idea so everyone gets the same amount of goodies – genius!

12. Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted April 8, 2010 at 2:04 PM | Permalink

I love the idea of hunting Easter! Your kids are so cute!

13. Me, Myself and Pie
    Posted April 8, 2010 at 9:24 PM | Permalink

What a terrific idea! I don't have kids yet, but I will surely be using this technique when I do! It's perfect!

14. Jamie
    Posted April 9, 2010 at 11:07 AM | Permalink

What a great idea…so creative!

15. Lisa
    Posted April 12, 2010 at 1:56 AM | Permalink

Such a great Easter Egg hunt! You are definitely fun. And that chocolate bunny disaster is hysterical.

16. noble pig
    Posted April 14, 2010 at 8:02 PM | Permalink

Complete awesomeness!

17. wireless ISP management software
    Posted April 26, 2010 at 4:58 AM | Permalink

It sounds like a lot of fun. It's amazing!

18. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 8:39 AM | Permalink

With 3 kids this is a great idea. One might be too old this year 🙁 but he will get treats anyways. I always have individgualized the hunts to the kids too. Picking there fave candys and little gadgets.

19. Anonymous
    Posted April 22, 2011 at 6:06 PM | Permalink

We are putting a new twist this year to the Easter Egg Hunt. As my children are getting older they still like the idea of hunting for eggs but feel a bit 'big' for the game. We were given this idea by one of my child's teachers So, we are doing our hunt Sat. night in the dark. We put a piece of reflector tape on each egg. Each child will get a flashlight to search for their eggs. In the past we have followed the color coding for each child, but this year they will be told how many they can gather. Enjoy time with family and friends. Happy Easter All!