Layered Stuffed Cabbage Bake

IMG_5039.JPG

Here is a fast version of a classic: Stuffed Cabbage. This recipe is hassle free and I would say, very healthy. My children even ate it and they hate cabbage. This is barely a recipes, you can fudge on it if you want, or even add chicken instead, if that would float your boat. I bet you could make it in a crockpot. So have a great weekend and do yourself a favor and make this Super Simple Simon Supper.

Layered Stuffed Cabbage Bake
10 oz. bag shredded cabbage, like for coleslaw
1 pound lean ground beef, raw
3/4 cup jasmine rice, uncooked
2 T. dried minced onion
seasoning of choice- I used smoked paprika, garlic salt, and black pepper
28 oz. jar favorite pasta sauce- I used Trader Joe’s Arrabbiata Sauce- spicy!
1/2 cup water

Extra sauce and Parmesan cheese when serving- optional

In a greased 9×13 inch baking dish layer 1/2 bag cabbage, rice, ground beef broken in bits, then generously season with your favorite seasonings being sure to get at least 1/2 tsp salt in there- in my case the garlic salt. Top with remaining cabbage and pour sauce and water evenly over all. Cover and seal then bake at 350 degrees for 90 minutes. Serve with extra sauce and Parmesan cheese. Serves 6-8.

Note- I enjoyed the texture of the cabbage in this dish. Although it did cook through, it kept its texture- I did not want soggy cabbage- which was perfect with the tender, flavorful rice.

1. Peter M
    Posted April 23, 2010 at 7:04 AM | Permalink

I must admit that I too didn't like cabbage as a boy but I do love it now.

You're a crafty mom to be able to get your children to eat cabbage!

2. Lisa
    Posted April 23, 2010 at 7:53 AM | Permalink

Love this recipe! I love stuffed cabbage but it is too time consuming to make. This is perfect!

3. oneordinaryday
    Posted April 23, 2010 at 8:18 AM | Permalink

I love when recipes aren't really recipes, but guides. You come up with some of the best!

4. 12th Man Training Table
    Posted April 23, 2010 at 8:31 AM | Permalink

Almost went overboard on cabbage this winter. But forgot that cabbage goes in posole and fish tacos and a bunch of other spring / summer dishes, so guess I need to pick up two more heads today!

5. FOODalogue
    Posted April 23, 2010 at 9:20 AM | Permalink

Call it cabbage lasagna – that's what it looks like to me. That'd be a good way to get the kids to eat it too.

6. dawn
    Posted April 23, 2010 at 9:55 AM | Permalink

genius! i am so tired of stuffing cabbage–i must try it this deconstructed way!

7. Fallon
    Posted April 23, 2010 at 10:05 AM | Permalink

It been forever since I had stuffed cabbage. A friend of the family makes the best stuffed cabbage with pork and beef.

I should try this in the crockpot, simple enough!

8. Karen
    Posted April 23, 2010 at 11:40 AM | Permalink

I made stuffed cabbage rolls a while back and it was too much fuss. This is a great way to have the wonderful taste of stuffed cabbage without all the work!

9. grace
    Posted April 23, 2010 at 11:45 AM | Permalink

this floats my boat and rocks my canoe just the way it is. delicious work, robin sue!

10. noble pig
    Posted April 23, 2010 at 5:01 PM | Permalink

I adore food like this.

11. Mary at Deep South Dish
    Posted April 24, 2010 at 12:05 AM | Permalink

Yum! One of my favs – wish I could get The Cajun to eat it! Have a great weekend!!

12. Denise in PA
    Posted April 24, 2010 at 9:14 AM | Permalink

This is great! I'm going to make this one. I've been making myself stuffed cabbage with lean ground beef and brown rice for healthy lunches (DH does NOT like cabbage!) and you are right, this will be so much easier. Yum!

13. Carla and Michael
    Posted April 25, 2010 at 8:15 AM | Permalink

Easy peasy is right. I have such a hard time of not having a few torn "rolls" when I make this the old school way. What a great idea, thanks.

14. zoom yummy
    Posted April 25, 2010 at 10:56 AM | Permalink

Mmmmm ,that looks wonderful. Yum!

Cheers!

Petra

15. Dan
    Posted April 25, 2010 at 5:03 PM | Permalink

I'm not big on cabbage, but this recipe looks really good.

16. biz319
    Posted April 26, 2010 at 12:07 AM | Permalink

I might actually get my family to eat this!! I just won't tell them there's cabbage in it!

Hope you had a great weekend!

17. Insolvency advice
    Posted April 26, 2010 at 4:20 AM | Permalink

That looks mouth-watering! Thank you so much for sharing.

18. Grumpy and HoneyB
    Posted April 28, 2010 at 11:13 AM | Permalink

This looks so good – I am definitely going to be trying this one out!

19. sharon
    Posted January 28, 2013 at 3:38 PM | Permalink

Hi Robin! This is cooking in the oven as I type. I paleo-tized it. I left out the rice and filled the 9×13 with shredded cabbage and diced onions. I also added a 32-oz jar of pasta sauce and a can of diced tomatoes in addition to copious shakes of Red Hot sauce and other various seasonings. Depending on how it turns out, and my family’s response, I can see many repeats of this meal with various sauces–salsa, curry/coconut milk, homemade BBQ. Let the games begin! ~Sharon