Super Fast: Homemade “Pop Tarts”

It’s not like these are exactly “Pop Tarts”, the crust is not crispy, they are a bit floppy, the filling isn’t neatly tucked inside, the icing goes to the edges and gets all over ones fingers, they’re even thinner, but they are- EASY. Oh and delicious. And not sopped with a ton of preservatives. And inexpensive. I have seen homemade “Pop Tarts” flaunted around the blogishere and even bookmarked a few recipes myself but me oh my, the labor involved with mixing, rolling, and cutting that crust. All that work to make eight? Pishaw. Is not the whole point of a “Pop Tart” instant gratification, I-don’t-feel-like-making-breakfast-so-why-not-let-Kelloggs-do-it-for-me? So in good ole Robin Sue fashion, I simplified the entire process and came out with a “Pop Tart” that makes my children swoon. That is good enough for me.

Secret Weapon- Lavash Bread, rectangular flat bread sold at Middle Eastern markets or…Trader Joe’s. Score!

Spread three sheets with 1/2 cup each of your favorite jam. I made my own, hey something has to be homemade, right?

Spread the jam to the edges.

Cover each with another piece of Lavash and cover with icing and a sprinkle of colored sugar. Cut in 8 pieces.

Look at that, jam and icing all the way to the edges, the way it should be. Freeze on trays for about 30 minutes or until the icing is hard. While you are waiting, toast up a few to eat now. That’s the instant gratification part.

Transfer tarts to a zip top bag and store in the freezer. When ready to eat, pop these into your toaster oven and toast for about 2-3 minutes or until icing just starts to bubble on the edges. If you overcook these, the icing will bubble off and make a mess all over your toaster oven. These are not for regular toasters, only toaster ovens or ovens, that’s the downside I guess.

Jam for “Pop Tarts”
1 pound bag of frozen fruit- I used TJ’s berry medley
1/4- 1/3 cup sugar -depending on fruit you use, not too sweet if using icing
3 T. corn starch
1/4 cup water
juice of 1/2 lime

In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, cook and stir all the jam ingredients until thickened. Very thickened. Simmer about 7-10 minutes. I like minve thick. Use an immersion blender to puree the fruit mixture, this makes it easier to spread. Cool slightly before spreading 1/2 cup evenly over each of the three Lavash breads. Top with a second piece of Lavash. Then spread each with icing. Recipe below.

Note- you can use your favorite purchased jam to make this even faster. You will need 1 1/2 cups.

Icing for “Pop Tarts”
3 cups powdered sugar
6 t. light karo syrup
6 t. milk
1 t. vanilla
2 t. lime juice- optional but good, replace with milk
zest of one lime- optional but good

Mix all together. Mixture will be thick and shiny. If too thick for spreading add a few drops of milk at a time. Do not get it too thin or it will not set up. Once it is spread over the Lavash, cut each Tart into 8 pieces using a pizza cutter and freeze on trays. When ready to eat one, toast in toaster oven for about 2-3 minutes, or until edges start to bubble slightly.

Makes: 24, mmm hmm 24. 8? Pishaw.

Note– I have also made these without icing them and stored in a sealed container on my counter. My kids would toast them and then spread the icing on them while warm from the oven. Either way.

1. the domestic mama
    Posted April 27, 2010 at 6:27 AM | Permalink

They look yummy- once again you inspired me! Yay- I love your blog- keep it up, I know I'm not the only one. Have a great day.

2. 12th Man Training Table
    Posted April 27, 2010 at 7:50 AM | Permalink

No Trader Joe's around here, so will have to make my own flatbread.

(Funny … read recently that there are more "Bring a Trader Joe's to _____" Facebook fansites than any other corporate entity. Just about every city that doesn't have a Trader Joe's has a "bring us one" group.)

3. marty
    Posted April 27, 2010 at 10:40 AM | Permalink

I'm going to give this one a try! Looks Great!!!

4. Natalie
    Posted April 27, 2010 at 11:15 AM | Permalink

These are so much healthier…and yet so authentic looking! Love it!

5. dawn
    Posted April 27, 2010 at 11:26 AM | Permalink

no way. love it. must try this. you are genius sue.

6. Roasted Garlicious
    Posted April 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM | Permalink

ohhhh those look soooo good… i'm betting i have a couple of grandbrats who'd love to eat them!!! i wish we had a Trader Joe's sooooooo many good things from there!!!

7. Lori
    Posted April 27, 2010 at 12:39 PM | Permalink

Cool idea. I wonder if my kids will like them. Hmmm I think I must try.

8. oneordinaryday
    Posted April 27, 2010 at 4:24 PM | Permalink

I might be the only person who prefers her pop tarts w/o icing, but your version could change my mind.

9. Karen
    Posted April 27, 2010 at 6:09 PM | Permalink

My first thought was gee, won't those make a mess in the toaster? So, I'm glad you mentioned toaster oven. LOL That jam looks really yummy and it's nice to be able to freeze them.

10. grace
    Posted April 27, 2010 at 6:42 PM | Permalink

i like that fact that the filling is the predominant part of your pop tarts. frankly, i find the store-bought ones to be dry, and that definitely wouldn't be the case here! well done, robin sue!

11. Mary at Deep South Dish
    Posted April 27, 2010 at 7:10 PM | Permalink

Yeah, I've seen these all over too and wanted to try them, cuz, I'll confess… I LOVE strawberry and blueberry pop tarts, I do!! Nice twist with the Lavash bread. Looks pretty darned yummy to me!

12. Cindy Rowland
    Posted April 27, 2010 at 7:39 PM | Permalink

Wow. I've been making pop tarts with pie dough lately in an attempt to learn how the heck pie dough is supposed to work. But I deeply appreciate the genius that is this recipe. I bet my kids would pick these over the ones I make. The pink sugar crystals would win them over instantly.

13. Velva
    Posted April 27, 2010 at 8:40 PM | Permalink

My hat is off to you! Those are some creative pop-tarts. My kids love pop tarts ( i love pop tarts too) and this is a great way to make them easy to prepare. The use of lavash floors me-awesome.

14. Sabrina
    Posted April 27, 2010 at 8:55 PM | Permalink

Those look great. I will have to try.

15. tasteofbeirut
    Posted April 27, 2010 at 11:51 PM | Permalink

Very clever! and a heck of a lot healthier than the real things!

16. Mimi
    Posted April 28, 2010 at 12:44 AM | Permalink

As always you have a great shortcut to homemade pop tarts.
    Mimi

17. Grumpy and HoneyB
    Posted April 28, 2010 at 11:13 AM | Permalink

We can count on you figuring out the easy way for us! :0)

18. Greg and Donna
    Posted April 28, 2010 at 11:33 AM | Permalink

Yeah! No hfcs in these. We will be trying this!

19. Nirmala
    Posted April 28, 2010 at 12:37 PM | Permalink

I may have to try this. I know of the non short cut recipe and decided not to make. I was too tired after reading the recipe. Thanks for sharing.

20. Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted April 28, 2010 at 1:59 PM | Permalink

Holy Moly, what a great idea! I'm totally going to try this with my kids and see if they like it.

As much I cook healthy, I do buy pop tarts! This would be such a great alternative too and the different flavor combinations are endless!

Awesome Robin!

21. biz319
    Posted April 28, 2010 at 4:42 PM | Permalink

Hey – my sister was your last commenter!

You are so fricken creative!! And yes, my sisters kids do eat Pop Tarts almost every day!

22. Abby
    Posted April 28, 2010 at 11:06 PM | Permalink

Great idea! And you're right. So much easier than the rolled kind. I think there's a spot in my kitchen for BOTH kinds!

23. Julie
    Posted April 28, 2010 at 11:43 PM | Permalink

Wow, what a great idea. I've never tried lavash bread, looks pretty versatile.

24. Dan
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 12:37 AM | Permalink

Yeah, these look amazing. Great idea. I love these types of recipes that are at-home remakes.

25. Kathleen
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 5:19 PM | Permalink

On man these look beautiful and delicious