Blog Revival Week: Monday- Miss Susan’s Pineapple Sheet Cake

We all need revival every now and again, whether it be physical, mental, or spiritual. I think Big Red Kitchen needs a revival, she’s been a bit back-slidden of late. So I thought a revival would boost the kitchen soul. Kind of like a good old-fashioned Southern Baptist Tent Revival minus the long hell-fire sermons, women fanning themselves, and the occasional blurt of “Amen” and “Preach on Brother.” All eyes were on the Southern lady dessert parade.So to revive BRK, I am offering a week’s worth of delicious dessert dishes I remember enjoying as a young girl attending tons of church potlucks where the ladies set up tables inside the church basement laden with generous offerings of their labors. Pies, cakes, cookies, bars, brownies, and puddings. The men and children not missing what was carted in from car to church, always offered to hold the door, carry a dish, or set up chairs in hopes to spy the visual ambrosia of sweets. All eyes were on the Southern lady dessert parade. Most of the time I couldn’t hardly concentrate on the sermon as I was plotting which dessert I would choose- Miss Doris’ Banana Pudding, Miss Susan’s Pineapple Sheet Cake, Miss Jean’s Peach Cobbler, Miss Mary’s Velvet Almond Fudge Cake, or Miss Valerie’s Drippy Cake– I even prayed the preacher would hurry it up, cuz dessert was awaitn’.

Miss Susan’s Pineapple Sheet Cake
2 cups AP flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs
20 ounce can (about 2 cups) crushed pineapple, in juice, don’t drain
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup nuts- I left out due to allergies

Mix all together until smooth. Pour into greased 9×13 inch baking dish and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. PLEASE SEE UPDATE BELOW!

Icing
8 ounces cream cheese
4 T. butter
3 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup nuts- optional

Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Add Vanilla. Slowly add sugar and blend after each addition. Fold in nuts if desired. Ice cake while still a bit warm. Serves many as this cake is rich and sweet, so cut the pieces small as you can always have seconds.

UPDATE: 5/28/2012-
Some folks have commented that this cake has given them trouble, so I quickly made another and here are some tips that may help…
1. For high altitude baking help, go to highaltitudebaking.com.
2. I did mix all the ingredients together at once on medium speed for about 45 seconds. I used PAM on the dish.
3. Clear glass 9x 13 inch baking dishes, try lowering the heat to 325 and bake for 25 minutes- some have even reported up to 40 minutes in a clear glass dish- remember oven temps can greatly differ. Metal pans (which I used the first time) handled the 350 for 25 minutes- but I think clear glass is the best choice for this cake. Dark glass takes even longer than clear glass, so try 325 for a few minutes longer.
4. The texture of this cake has a coarse sticky sponge-like crumb. It is very rustic and may remind one of a less dense fruit cake.  It is very different than any other cake texture I have tried. Even lovely without the icing and served warm with vanilla ice cream!
5. Please add the nuts if you can, I can’t- allergies. Also some said they added cinnamon or coconut too, give that a try, be creative. Some even made these into cupcakes!
6. If you have any questions, read through the comments first, I may have answered it already!

I feel terrible when folks say a recipe did not work out for them. I do my best to give the best instructions. Thank you all for your honest reviews and being kind with your critiques! This is a really nice cake, so give it a try with my updated tips. I hope this helps.

Ya’ll come back all week as Big Red Kitchen highlights a new dessert every day during Blog Revival Week. It’ll do your sweet-tooth soul some good. Bring your friends. Do I get an AMEN!

Happy Birthday Little Brother Rob!! Schplickitee-Schplaka Lagga Ding! Ding!

Posted January 11, 2012 at 10:09 PM | Permalink

Debora- Thank you! Nope not fat needed for this one, the eggs and sugar do their fair share I guess!

2. Debora Cadene
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 10:24 PM | Permalink

Thank you for replying so fast. I am in Canada and our cans don't come in ounces…would you or anyone here, know what size can I need to equal the 20 oz can needed? I was also wondering if this cake could be made into two small 8x8s and one tossed into the freezer? with our with out icing if the answer is yes…
    Sorry for all the questions….but I can't wait to make this..

• Ramona
      Posted April 5, 2012 at 6:39 PM | Permalink

It is 567 grams…For a 20 oz can

• Robin Sue
      Posted April 5, 2012 at 6:43 PM | Permalink

Posted January 11, 2012 at 10:30 PM | Permalink

Deborah- Ha! You are in luck, I had a 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple on hand and dumped it out into a liquid measuring cup and it came up to a tad over 2 cups. Yes you can bake these up in 2 8×8's but watch the time, it may go faster and these do freeze well with or without the icing. Just wrap up well. Enjoy!

4. Debora Cadene
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 10:36 PM | Permalink

Robin thank you for doing that for me…..now you're gonna have to make another cake. (darn) 🙂

Posted January 11, 2012 at 10:53 PM | Permalink

Debora- I did the happy dance when I opened the can!
    (darn is right;-)

6. Bridget
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 7:28 PM | Permalink

I'm a bit confused.. It's a sheet cake but baked in a 9×13?

Posted January 16, 2012 at 8:57 AM | Permalink

Bridget- Yup, Miss Susan baked it in a 9×13.

8. Anonymous
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 8:17 PM | Permalink

I am about to make this cake, can the cake be flipped out after baking to frost or is it best to frost in the dish? Also, would these work as cup cakes?
    -Darla

Posted January 25, 2012 at 9:45 PM | Permalink

Darla- I have never flipped it out before. It is very moist, so be very careful if you try it. But then again if it breaks, it would be a lovely layered trifle;-)

For cupcakes? Hmmm? I am wondering if much of it would stick to the cupcake papers. Try the cake and pull out a tiny bit of batter to make one cupcake and see how it does. I must make this cake again and see if any of your ideas work. I do have some pineapple…

Thanks!!

10. tom | tall clover farm
    Posted February 1, 2012 at 9:17 PM | Permalink

I don't know Miss Susan, but I suspect she is remiss for not adding coconut to this recipe, say a cup to the batter before baking. And no doubt when Miss Susan feels really flush, she sprinkles chopped macadamia nuts on the top before serving.

11. Denise L
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 11:53 PM | Permalink

Made this after finding the recipe on Pinterest. It is so good! I, too, wondered whether I should drain the pineapple and ended up draining about half of the liquid off. The cake turned out great and I will definetly be making it again. Thank you for sharing!

12. Anonymous
    Posted February 11, 2012 at 5:47 AM | Permalink

Robin Sue, I was able to flip it out and I trimmed the edges to make it look nice and clean for presentation like the picture. I used the cut strips to make small trifuls for my FI, looked cute and tasted great. Thanks for the idea on the triful! I am doing a desert table and havent decided what to put in the triful dish. I think this will be great!

Posted February 11, 2012 at 9:33 AM | Permalink

Darla- so glad it flipped out and tiny trifles is a great idea! I have only made big ones but like the idea of small ones. Thanks!!

14. Debora Cadene
    Posted February 21, 2012 at 9:19 AM | Permalink

I have another question for ya…. I was wondering if you could do 1 c. of white sugar and 1 c. of brown sugar instead of all white???? Gonna make another cake and curious minds wanna know.
    Debbie.

Posted February 21, 2012 at 9:43 AM | Permalink

Deborah- yes I think brown sugar would work, giving it a little deeper flavor, maybe a bit more dense? I don't think it could hurt. Let us know how it goes!!

16. Anonymous
    Posted March 10, 2012 at 6:29 PM | Permalink

Do you suggest pineapple in juice or in syrup for the recipe? I wasn't sure, so I bought one of each. Thanks!

Molly

Posted March 10, 2012 at 6:41 PM | Permalink

Molly- my can says 100% juice, but I am sure either will work, the syrupy one being a bit more sweet. Enjoy the cake!!

18. Anonymous
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM | Permalink

Made this cake over the weekend and it was a hit. However, the recipe doesn't call for any butter or oil. Is that correct? Thanks much, Liz E.

19. Patty Shadrick
    Posted March 25, 2012 at 8:35 PM | Permalink

I made this cake today!!!! Although I did not drain the pineapple as I didn’t see where the recipe says to do so. The middle of my cake was very soupy???? So I baked it a bit longer and it helped a little bit.

Do you suggest to drain the pineapple???
    Thanks
    Can’t wait to have some here real soon!
    Patty

• Robin Sue
      Posted March 26, 2012 at 8:13 AM | Permalink

Hi Patty,
      I think some people are draining it a little bit and it helps decrease the cooking time. It is such a yummy cake. Enjoy!!
      Robin Sue

20. Kelsey
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 7:29 PM | Permalink

Made this just now and it’s amazing!! The icing is a little sweet for me… Might add 1 cup less confectioners sugar… I think it would work in cupcakes too… And sooooo easy! You could easily make this with dinner as a yummy treat. YUM

• Robin Sue
      Posted March 26, 2012 at 7:35 PM | Permalink

Thanks Kelsey! I think others have made cupcakes with this too!

21. krysten
    Posted March 29, 2012 at 5:39 PM | Permalink

Do you by chance know how to adjust recipe for high altitude baking?

Thanks so much, looks amazing!

• Robin Sue
      Posted March 29, 2012 at 5:58 PM | Permalink

Hi Krysten,
      I don’t know how to adjust this, but found this link that may be helpful.
      Altitude Basics
      I hope that link helps outs.
      Thanks!
      Robin Sue

22. Judi
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:05 PM | Permalink

Question, are you using regular flour or cake flour for this recipe? Sound delish and I can’t wait to try it!!

• Robin Sue
      Posted March 31, 2012 at 7:59 PM | Permalink

Judi, I am using regular AP flour. Enjoy!

23. Ashlyn E
    Posted April 1, 2012 at 2:34 PM | Permalink

I never drain the pineapple. My family has been making this cake for over 25 years and we always include the juice. If you loved the cake with the juice drained out, I can’t imagine how much more you’ll love it with all the pineapple goodness!! My hint is to make the cake a full 24hrs before you plan on serving it. The longer it sits the better it tastes!

24. Jana
    Posted April 2, 2012 at 1:15 PM | Permalink

How about using fresh pineapple. Just measure out the same amount. You think it work the same or would I need to add more juice?

• Robin Sue
      Posted April 2, 2012 at 1:18 PM | Permalink

I think maybe once you puree it, it should make plenty of juice, especially if it is ripe. If you try it, please come back and let me know!
      Thanks,
      Robin

25. Angie
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 10:35 AM | Permalink

Does this need to be refrigerated???

• Robin Sue
      Posted April 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM | Permalink

Angie-
      I would because of the cream cheese frosting.
      Enjoy!