Blog Revival Week: Monday- Miss Susan’s Pineapple Sheet Cake

We all need revival every now and again, whether it be physical, mental, or spiritual. I think Big Red Kitchen needs a revival, she’s been a bit back-slidden of late. So I thought a revival would boost the kitchen soul. Kind of like a good old-fashioned Southern Baptist Tent Revival minus the long hell-fire sermons, women fanning themselves, and the occasional blurt of “Amen” and “Preach on Brother.” All eyes were on the Southern lady dessert parade.So to revive BRK, I am offering a week’s worth of delicious dessert dishes I remember enjoying as a young girl attending tons of church potlucks where the ladies set up tables inside the church basement laden with generous offerings of their labors. Pies, cakes, cookies, bars, brownies, and puddings. The men and children not missing what was carted in from car to church, always offered to hold the door, carry a dish, or set up chairs in hopes to spy the visual ambrosia of sweets. All eyes were on the Southern lady dessert parade. Most of the time I couldn’t hardly concentrate on the sermon as I was plotting which dessert I would choose- Miss Doris’ Banana Pudding, Miss Susan’s Pineapple Sheet Cake, Miss Jean’s Peach Cobbler, Miss Mary’s Velvet Almond Fudge Cake, or Miss Valerie’s Drippy Cake– I even prayed the preacher would hurry it up, cuz dessert was awaitn’.

Miss Susan’s Pineapple Sheet Cake
2 cups AP flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs
20 ounce can (about 2 cups) crushed pineapple, in juice, don’t drain
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup nuts- I left out due to allergies

Mix all together until smooth. Pour into greased 9×13 inch baking dish and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. PLEASE SEE UPDATE BELOW!

Icing
8 ounces cream cheese
4 T. butter
3 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup nuts- optional

Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Add Vanilla. Slowly add sugar and blend after each addition. Fold in nuts if desired. Ice cake while still a bit warm. Serves many as this cake is rich and sweet, so cut the pieces small as you can always have seconds.

UPDATE: 5/28/2012-
Some folks have commented that this cake has given them trouble, so I quickly made another and here are some tips that may help…
1. For high altitude baking help, go to highaltitudebaking.com.
2. I did mix all the ingredients together at once on medium speed for about 45 seconds. I used PAM on the dish.
3. Clear glass 9x 13 inch baking dishes, try lowering the heat to 325 and bake for 25 minutes- some have even reported up to 40 minutes in a clear glass dish- remember oven temps can greatly differ. Metal pans (which I used the first time) handled the 350 for 25 minutes- but I think clear glass is the best choice for this cake. Dark glass takes even longer than clear glass, so try 325 for a few minutes longer.
4. The texture of this cake has a coarse sticky sponge-like crumb. It is very rustic and may remind one of a less dense fruit cake.  It is very different than any other cake texture I have tried. Even lovely without the icing and served warm with vanilla ice cream!
5. Please add the nuts if you can, I can’t- allergies. Also some said they added cinnamon or coconut too, give that a try, be creative. Some even made these into cupcakes!
6. If you have any questions, read through the comments first, I may have answered it already!

I feel terrible when folks say a recipe did not work out for them. I do my best to give the best instructions. Thank you all for your honest reviews and being kind with your critiques! This is a really nice cake, so give it a try with my updated tips. I hope this helps.

Ya’ll come back all week as Big Red Kitchen highlights a new dessert every day during Blog Revival Week. It’ll do your sweet-tooth soul some good. Bring your friends. Do I get an AMEN!

Happy Birthday Little Brother Rob!! Schplickitee-Schplaka Lagga Ding! Ding!

1. shari pica
    Posted April 5, 2012 at 5:56 PM | Permalink

Should I adjust anything for high altitude?

Posted April 5, 2012 at 6:44 PM | Permalink
    • Ro Cisneroz
      Posted May 16, 2012 at 8:18 PM | Permalink

I cant wait to try this recipe, my mouth is watering just reading the ingredients!Thank you for posting this cake recipe, I will let you know how it turns out for me.

2. Posted April 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM | Permalink

Think I could bake these as cupcakes?

Posted April 6, 2012 at 6:13 PM | Permalink

I think another reader did, with less time though. Give it a go! Enjoy

• Posted April 7, 2012 at 11:14 PM | Permalink

Gonna try tonight. I made the cake for a party and it was the talk of the party!!! Everyone LOVED it!

3. Lannie Kaul
    Posted April 7, 2012 at 8:40 AM | Permalink

This recipe was a BIG ‘OL fail for me!! And I would consider myself a pretty decent baker….will not be wasting my time on this again. sorry.

4. Lori
    Posted April 7, 2012 at 1:38 PM | Permalink

This recipie was a big hit, made it 3 times in one week…

Posted April 7, 2012 at 10:47 PM | Permalink

Wow! That is awesome!

5. Sheila
    Posted April 7, 2012 at 2:26 PM | Permalink

Hello!
    This sound so yummy! Making the cake for my family on Easter. I can’t wait… wish me luck! 🙂

6. Diane
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 9:49 AM | Permalink

I am interested in knowing the nutritional facts of this cake. I made it for Easter and really enjoyed it, however I am trying to pace myself as far as calories. TY

Posted April 10, 2012 at 10:13 AM | Permalink

You could try something like caloriecount.com to find out. I have no idea myself the calorie content of this cake. Thanks!

7. Rachel
    Posted April 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM | Permalink

I found this on pinterest and gave it a try!! I used a 20 ounce can of pineapple chunks that I turned into crushed in the food processor. This cake turned out FANTASTIC! It’s frosted, and still warm on the counter. The edges are the best part, the sugars kind of crystalized so it’s got a little bit of a crunch. I’m a big fan! Also, that cream cheese frosting is the best I’ve ever made!!! I can never get frosting right, but it turned out perfect!

Posted April 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM | Permalink

Rachel- so happy you liked the cake and frosting! Makes me want to get up and make one now!
      Thanks,
      Robin Sue

8. linda
    Posted April 15, 2012 at 3:35 AM | Permalink

Made this cake and it was super rubbery did I do something wrong. I followed the recipe to the tea, even made it twice,still not luck. Any suggestions?

Posted April 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM | Permalink

Linda the only thing I can think of is that it may be overcooked? I have once left it in the oven too long, forgot to set the timer, and the edges got chewy and tough.
      Thanks,
      Robin Sue

9. Posted April 16, 2012 at 1:32 PM | Permalink

You really need to double your icing recipe for this size cake, it is a very good cake….
    this is my second one in 2 weeks.(this one is for someone birthday)

Posted April 16, 2012 at 3:58 PM | Permalink

Maybe someone will make me one for my birthday!! That is one lucky person!

10. Lori
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 1:48 PM | Permalink

Saw this on Pinterest and made today because had all the ingredients on hand-boy, am I glad I did! Delicious! Thanks-I know I will be making again soon!

Posted April 16, 2012 at 3:59 PM | Permalink

Thank you, so glad you enjoyed it!

11. Posted April 17, 2012 at 6:20 AM | Permalink

Do you drain the pineapple before adding it?
    I want to try this but am scared of messing it up and wasting precious ingredients.
    Thanks.

Posted April 17, 2012 at 1:14 PM | Permalink

You can drain it a little, or use it all. Read through the comments to see all the different things everyone has done with this recipe. Lots of great ideas! Hope you try it. Enjoy!
      Robin Sue

12. Dianne
    Posted April 17, 2012 at 10:16 PM | Permalink

Can I use almond flour and/or all purpose flour for this recipe?

Posted April 18, 2012 at 7:09 AM | Permalink

Dianne
      I do use AP flour but have never tried it with almond flour.

• Diane
      Posted June 13, 2012 at 12:27 PM | Permalink

Let me know how it turns out if you make it with almond flour. I would love to try this recipe but I don’t eat any grains. I was thinking almond flour or coconut flour. I haven’t done any baking with alternative flours yet. I just started this new diet. I miss my treats already.

Posted June 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM | Permalink

I make this cake for my kids and one has nut and coconut allergies. I think I may try it on a smaller scale with almond or coconut flour to see how it does. I think I may have to add an egg though. I have not done much with these flours, so I am in the same boat as you are! I must learn especially if I ever want a treat!! May be a good challenge for me!

13. Dora
    Posted April 21, 2012 at 10:01 PM | Permalink

No butter for the dough?

Posted April 22, 2012 at 10:56 AM | Permalink

Nope, the sugar and eggs do the work!

14. Jennifer
    Posted April 23, 2012 at 12:54 PM | Permalink

I have the same recipe but I call it Chop Suey Cake.

• Lila Bro
      Posted May 22, 2012 at 9:21 AM | Permalink

Lol why do you call it chop suey cake?

15. Peg
    Posted April 24, 2012 at 4:57 PM | Permalink

Can I use fresh pineapple? I have one sitting on my counter and it needs to be used. Thanks! Can’t wait to make this!

Posted April 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM | Permalink

Peg
      I think you could certainly use fresh pineapple for this recipe. Puree it first and measure out 20 ounces or a little over 2 cups. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.
      Thanks!
      Robin Sue

16. Sara
    Posted April 27, 2012 at 11:44 PM | Permalink

I usually don’t bake but this is the easiest and the best cake ever. I have made it twice now and it is sooo good. Directions are simple and it takes very short time to make it. Thank you. Love it!

17. Gloria Hoeft
    Posted May 3, 2012 at 10:57 AM | Permalink

I’ve made this several times, it is delicious !!!

18. LeeAnne McGirt
    Posted May 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM | Permalink

Found this on pinterest, just made it. Excellent! I did add the nuts, this is a keeper! Thanks for sharing!

19. Kristen
    Posted May 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM | Permalink

Found this on Pinterest and am a big fan! I used whole wheat flour (what I had on hand), pineapple chunks pulsed in the food processor (didn’t drain), and cut the sugar in half. Two thumbs up!

20. onesoldiersmom
    Posted May 16, 2012 at 1:09 AM | Permalink

My friend makes a version of this cake. She adds shredded carrot, but her surprise ingredient is a 1/2 to a cup of mayo. It makes the cake incredibly moist and adds a bit of richness that truly is a surprise.

21. Carolina
    Posted May 16, 2012 at 8:50 PM | Permalink

Found this on pinterest. Such an easy cake to make! Tastes delicious! Will definitely make thus again!

22. Posted May 20, 2012 at 2:33 PM | Permalink

Followed the recipe to the letter but it was awful. Glad to see Im not the only one.

23. adrianne
    Posted May 27, 2012 at 10:19 AM | Permalink

I made this cake…didn’t add nuts before baking, then felt like it needed something else so I caramelized pecans and topped with the nuts and fresh pineapple. YUM!

24. Natalia
    Posted May 27, 2012 at 12:26 PM | Permalink

I m sorry but this receipe sucks big time. I stare at it for about a week before I decided to try it. I feel bad for all ingredients that I wasted, cause the cake went straight to the trash. Every 2 good comment i saw a bad comment and I thought, well maybe they really did not have luck, however I dont think is a matter of luck. First of the preparation for the cake said, mix all together and then stick it on the oven… no mix this and that first, then add this and at last that… just mix all together?. I think the order of the ingredients does affect the case, it does not even said if the pinapple needed to be drained. Then she does not say what type of cake mold to use, how deep? nothing, I think that is pretty important too, cause I used a round 22.9×3.6 mold and the center took for even to cook (additional 15 minutes) and the edges burned.. Not to mention that the cake ended up like a piece of rubber… If it falls from my counter I m sure it will probably bounce right back into it. Nevertheless I m removing this from my pinterest. I dont want my friends making the mistaka I made. In regards to the recipe the picture looks delicios. Maybe it will be worth it to elaborate that recipe and make it a decent recipe with all the steps for a yummy cake.

Ps: The frosting was good, but anything with half of stick of butter, a container of cream cheese and sugar should taste good.

Thank you.

ID USA 2012.

Posted May 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM | Permalink

Natalia, thank you for your honest review. The recipe does state the size of the pan to be 9×13 inch baking dish. And no need to drain the pineapple or I would have stated to do so. Other bakers have drained off a little of the juice without trouble. Sorry you had such bad luck. You are right, I don’t know why some have good luck with this and others not so much. I guess that is one of the mysteries of baking.
      Warmly,
      Robin Sue

One Trackback

1. By Pineapple Loaf Cake « Leslie the Foodie on April 27, 2012 at 3:50 PM

[…] inspiration for this recipe came from Miss Susan’s Pineapple Sheet Cake recipe, which I found on Pinterest.  From this recipe I decided to make a few changes.  I decided […]