Blog Revival Week: Thursday- Miss Valerie’s Drippy Cake

I think I could drink Cream of Coconut right from the can, it is almost as good as sweetened condensed milk. This cake is over the top moist and creamy. If you pay attention to the recipe you will see that it is very much related to its cousin the Tres Leches Cake, but back in the early eighties we weren’t very foodie in our Southern Baptist Church and had no idea what a Tres Leches Cake was, so hence the name Drippy Cake. The original recipe calls for Cool Whip to be spread over top of the cake but I whipped up some fresh cream which is even better for this kind of cake.

The coconut flavor in this cake is not as forth-coming as I thought but does lend a nice aftertaste to the cake. I think you will enjoy how quickly this cake comes together and how very moist it is.

Miss Valerie’s Drippy Cake
Bake one yellow cake mix, as directed, in a 9×13 inch dish. While cooling, make holes all over the surface of the cake. Mix one 15 ounce can of Cream of coconut with one large can of sweetened condensed milk and pour all over the top of the cake. When cool, ice cake with whipped cream or Cool Whip. Refrigerate. Serves 15.

* Whipped Cream- whip together 1 cup whipping cream with 1 packet Whip It until thick. Whip It can be found in the baking isle, usually on the top shelf. Cream of Coconut can be found in the alcoholic drink mix isle or near the sweetened condensed milk.

Southern Lady Dessert Parade:
Miss Susan’s Pineapple Sheet Cake
Miss Doris’ Banana Pudding
Miss Jean’s Peach Cobbler
Miss Mary’s Velvet Almond Fudge Cake

1. Rindy R
    Posted May 20, 2010 at 6:35 AM | Permalink

What a great day to have a cake on your blog – A BIRTHDAY CAKE!!! Happy Birthday Robin – to one of the most creative, sweet friends I have!!! Hope your day is a wonderful as you!!!!

2. Amy
    Posted May 20, 2010 at 10:08 AM | Permalink

As much as I'm enjoying your blog revival week, I'm afraid it going to end up costing me a pants size!

It's your birthday today??? Happy Birthday to you!

3. robklause
    Posted May 20, 2010 at 12:04 PM | Permalink

Happy Birthday Robin!

4. pigpigscorner
    Posted May 20, 2010 at 3:42 PM | Permalink

Oh wow! Looks so moist and delicious!

5. Karen
    Posted May 20, 2010 at 3:51 PM | Permalink

Oh, my… this looks SO moist!

6. vanillasugar
    Posted May 20, 2010 at 8:46 PM | Permalink

now that's a cavity in the making. i could eat coconut everyday and i almost do. what is in coconut that makes me crave it so much?

7. grace
    Posted May 21, 2010 at 5:00 AM | Permalink

this is actually a new one to me–what a happy find! i, too, could drink cream of coconut directly–that's some powerfully good stuff. 🙂

8. Ingrid
    Posted May 21, 2010 at 10:32 AM | Permalink

It's YOUR birthday? Happy Birthday, Robin Sue! Hope this year is better than last year's and not as good as next year's!

I love everything about this cake except I have to bake it for myself and I'm at work until 4:30! 🙁

Happy Friday!
    ~ingrid

9. oneordinaryday
    Posted May 22, 2010 at 12:44 PM | Permalink

Your birthday?? Happy birthday, Robin! Hope it's wonderful!

My friend just told me coconut cream pie is her fave and I'm curious if you topped this with some toasted coconut, if it might do in a pinch…. What do you think?

Posted May 23, 2010 at 11:52 AM | Permalink

One ordinary day- Michelle I was thinking the same thing, that toasted coconut would be great on this cake to bring out the coconut flavor more. Try it and let me know!

11. Mimi
    Posted May 25, 2010 at 12:50 PM | Permalink

Happy Belated Birthday!. It is so amazing what you can do with a cake mix and a little imagination.
    Mimi

12. Miriam Leigh
    Posted May 26, 2010 at 12:02 AM | Permalink

Oh this cake looks so moist and… drippy! I wanna piece!

13. Anonymous
    Posted January 28, 2011 at 9:12 PM | Permalink

Good entry. I appreciate you for posting it. Keep up the fine blogging.

14. Lisa
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM | Permalink

I LOVE this cake!! It is just as moist and delicious as it looks!!

15. Lannie Kaul
    Posted April 23, 2012 at 6:18 PM | Permalink

Thanks a million for this recipe! Today is my birthday and I was browsing Pinterest and came across this recipe! And what are the odds that I had 2 cans of cream of coconut in my cupboard!

• Robin Sue
      Posted April 23, 2012 at 6:24 PM | Permalink

Happy Birthday! Make it delicious!!
      Robin Sue

16. Charlene
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 5:36 PM | Permalink

When pouring on the cream of coconut and the sweetened condensed milk, also add a small can of crushed pineapple (do not drain) and it is a Pina Colada Cake. I have made this for years and it is always a hit.

17. Cheryle Shepherd
    Posted April 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM | Permalink

What is cream of coconut and where do I find it.This sounds yummy

• Robin Sue
      Posted April 30, 2012 at 6:43 PM | Permalink

It is called Coco lopez for mixing drinks found in the alcoholic drink mix isle at your grocer. It is very thick and super sweet!

18. Posted April 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM | Permalink

Would coconut milk be the same as cream of coconut or if not, do you think in would work in place of the cream of coconut. I have 2 cans of it in pantry!

This cake sounds wonderful!

• Robin Sue
      Posted May 1, 2012 at 8:08 AM | Permalink

I am not sure if it would, I haven’t tried it. The coco lopez is very rich and thick. It would have to be the full fat coconut milk and it would not be as sweet. May be worth a try?

19. Cheryle Shepherd
    Posted May 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM | Permalink

Thank you I will see if I.can find some

20. pam
    Posted May 7, 2012 at 1:21 PM | Permalink

I use a white cake mix…and use only the egg whites making an all white display…its quite eye pleasing and delicious.

• Nancy Johnson
      Posted May 25, 2012 at 12:49 AM | Permalink

I did the same thing but traded 1/2 the water for coconut milk. Also did whipped cream (trading out 1/3 cup heavy cream for coconut milk) Not overwhelming, but nice coconut flavor. Extra whipped cream was great in coffee the next day.

21. Corin
    Posted May 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM | Permalink

Would it work with a regular chocolate cake? I am 8 months pregnant and loving anything Almond Joy(ish) I think I will try it with chocolate cake and top the whipped cream with toasted coconut and toasted slivered almonds (or add almonds to the cake and hey maybe add chocolate to the whipped cream…)

• Robin Sue
      Posted May 10, 2012 at 1:30 PM | Permalink

Corin,
      I bet chocolate cake would be great- good idea! Congratulations on baby being here soon.
      Enjoy!
      Robin

22. Elizabeth
    Posted May 11, 2012 at 1:52 PM | Permalink

I have made this cake many times in the past and used only cream of coconut – no sweetened condensed milk at all. Also added shredded coconut on top of the whipped cream or cool whip.
    Love this cake and have made another similar cake but was called a chocolate sundae cake.
    very good and easy recipes….

23. Posted May 11, 2012 at 4:31 PM | Permalink

I love cream of coconut! I use it as a marinade along with scallions for chicken. I can’t imagine how yummy this cake must be!

Budget Earth – Shopping List for Healthy Eating

24. Bobbie
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 7:15 PM | Permalink

I made this years ago… Add frozen coconut on top. Never heard of “Whip It” here, but we use “Dream Whip”. Probably the same thing. Taste like fresh coconut cake!

25. Kim
    Posted June 3, 2012 at 11:00 AM | Permalink

I have made this cake twice in 2 days, I absolutely love it!!! Second time I replaced the water with coconut milk (water called for in cake mix). Fabulous recipe, thanks for sharing!! I love tres leches and now this is my new favorite cake!!!