Blog Revival Week: Tuesday- Miss Doris’ Banana Pudding

“All the single ladies, all the single ladies.” I think we should change Beyonce’s “Single Ladies” lyrics to “All the Southern Ladies” because the Southern Ladies’ Dessert Parade continues. Yesterday there was Miss Susan’s Pineapple Sheet Cake and tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day after that I will bring you more fantastic desserts. As we enter picnic and potluck season, bookmark a few of these for your next event.

This recipe is super easy and quick to throw together. It is sweet, creamy, and very tasty. I don’t often use Cool Whip or boxed pudding mixes but on occasion I think it is fine. Don’t sweat the small stuff, right? And for a potluck, this dish will be the first to go. I promise.

Miss Doris’ Banana Pudding
In a large bowl, mix together until smooth:
3 cups milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 large box instant vanilla pudding
1/2 large container (16 ounce size) Cool Whip

Now you will need:
6 bananas- not too ripe
1 box vanilla wafers- put 3 aside
remaining Cool Whip

In a 9×13 inch dish place a layer of vanilla wafers then a layer of sliced bananas. Top that with 1/2 of the pudding mixture. Make another layer of vanilla wafers and sliced bananas and top with the remaining pudding mixture. Top the pudding mixture with the rest of the Cool Whip and sprinkle 3 crushed vanilla wafers over top the of the entire creation. Chill for at least 2 hours. Serves about 10-12.

While this recipe is super fast, I also like this one…
Old-Fashioned Banana Pudding by my friend Sheila.

1. Amy
    Posted May 18, 2010 at 6:49 AM | Permalink

I've got to try this. My husband LOVES banana pudding, but I've never tried one with sweetened condensed milk. Thanks for sharing this.

2. 12th Man Training Table
    Posted May 18, 2010 at 8:43 AM | Permalink

Lots of picnic / potluck items are regional and don't make sense to others. Not everyone likes ambrosia or jello salads, for inst.

But north, south, east, west … nobody but nobody doesn't like banana pudding!

• kelly
      Posted June 7, 2012 at 8:36 PM | Permalink

my sister n law absolutely hates banana’s

3. Alison
    Posted May 18, 2010 at 9:01 AM | Permalink

That Beyonce song has been stuck in my head for the last day and a half and I don't know why.

I am not a fan of nanners but my mom would love this!

4. leftfoot
    Posted May 18, 2010 at 9:32 AM | Permalink

No offense to Doris, but Paula Deen's is the best Nana Puddin out there. Honestly, for a richer, creamier, elevated version, please try hers. It's to die for.

• Miss D.
      Posted February 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM | Permalink

No offense to anyone in particular ~ but how can you actually say this is a SOUTHERN recipe – when it includes INSTANT PUDDING mix ?? No southern gal I know would EVER be caught with instant pudding in her kitchen – much less her Banana Pudding !! Doris – where exactly are you from ??? Signed Miss D. from DALLAS .

5. Sophie
    Posted May 18, 2010 at 10:42 AM | Permalink

What an apart & special dessert!! I have never tasted a georgous pudding like this before,..I will try this tasty endresult!

mmmmmmmmmm,..I hope your mom is doing better!!

6. Maria
    Posted May 18, 2010 at 11:29 AM | Permalink

This pudding looks super rich and super delicious!

7. pigpigscorner
    Posted May 18, 2010 at 3:16 PM | Permalink

wow this is really sinful but I love it! Looks amazing!

8. Ingrid
    Posted May 18, 2010 at 3:43 PM | Permalink

Your post title could also have been Ingrid, make this for your Dad so you can secure your (top!) spot in his heart. hee-hee!

I remember my dad lovin' this whenever it was served. My mom's from the NYC and didn't see the fuss over it.
    ~ingrid

9. grace
    Posted May 18, 2010 at 4:05 PM | Permalink

banana pudding is one dessert for which i have no qualms about using boxed mixes and cool whip–the made-from-scratch stuff is good, but it's just not the same. 🙂

10. Sabrina
    Posted May 18, 2010 at 8:51 PM | Permalink

I remember this was a staple at the Wednesday night church dinners. I just ate the cool whip off of my serving. I love cool whip. But you already knew that.

11. Karen
    Posted May 20, 2010 at 3:48 PM | Permalink

Banana pudding isn't one of my favorites, but there are SO many people who just love it! I could lick the whipped cream off the top 😛

12. Mimi
    Posted May 25, 2010 at 12:42 PM | Permalink

Childhood memories in a dish.
    Mimi

13. Sheila
    Posted June 4, 2010 at 4:26 PM | Permalink

I will have to try this one; banana pudding is such a great treat in the summer. (Thanks for the link, too:)

14. tori
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM | Permalink

i tried this on easter this year and it was GONE! the whole family loved it, gonna make it again for my sons preschool dinner event! thanks!

15. fran
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 9:25 PM | Permalink

Ok why is my banana pudding soupy what did i do ronge?

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 4, 2012 at 11:40 PM | Permalink

Be sure to use the big box of instant vanilla, not the cooked kind. Is that maybe what you did, used the smaller box, cooked kind?

16. tori r
    Posted November 21, 2012 at 5:46 PM | Permalink

Great recipe but do not use generic brand cool whip as I have come to find out the mixture will not thicken. I have made this many times with huge success but when I had no choice but to use a no name brand cool whip, it didn’t turn out right. Very runny.

17. Michelle C
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 7:30 PM | Permalink

If you’ve never tried it heat the milk first to very warm then add the pudding. You won’t believe the difference in the texture!!! It’s yummy!!!!

18. Deb
    Posted December 18, 2016 at 10:42 AM | Permalink

Do you make the vanilla pudding with the 3 cups of milk, then add the condensed milk and cool whip?

• Robin