Blog Revival Week: Wednesday- Miss Jean’s Peach Cobbler

Don’t worry, the chocolate is on the way. I thought to fill you up on all the “yellow” creamy desserts first and give you the chocolate dessert for dessert on Friday, so hang in there. This is my go-to Peach Cobbler recipe. It has never let me down. This dish is very moist, super fast to make, and wonderful served warm with vanilla ice cream, perfect for summer cook-outs. Come to think of it, Butter-Pecan Ice Cream is even better with this cobbler, but I’ll let you be the judge of that.

Miss Jean’s Peach Cobbler
4 cups fresh peaches sliced* or 29 ounce can sliced peaches in heavy syrup
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour**
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
1 stick butter, melted

In a 9×13 inch dish pour melted butter. Mix flour, milk, and sugar to make a smooth batter. Pour batter over melted butter. Put fruit on top, syrup and all. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes. Let set 10 minutes before serving. Serves about 10.

* if using fresh fruit, add extra sugar to the fruit, about 1/2 cup
** if using plain flour, add: 2 tsp. baking powder and 1/4 tsp. salt to the flour.

Southern Lady Dessert Parade:
Miss Susan’s Pineapple Sheet Cake
Miss Doris’ Banana Pudding
Miss Valerie’s Drippy Cake
Miss Mary’s Velvet Almond Fudge Cake

1. Amy
    Posted May 19, 2010 at 7:03 AM | Permalink

Peach-anything won't last in this house. Mmmmmm…can't wait to try this recipe! TFS.

2. the domestic mama
    Posted May 19, 2010 at 7:54 AM | Permalink

Yum- my mom used to make one with (eeek) cake mix- but it was sooooo yummy. 🙂 I need to try this one.

3. Barbara
    Posted May 19, 2010 at 8:16 AM | Permalink

You can leave the chocolate for a while and concentrate on peaches! This looks wonderful.

4. Ingrid
    Posted May 19, 2010 at 10:02 AM | Permalink

LOL, No not chocolate! I'm assuming this would taste terrific with any berry…Sam's here I come for those glorious berries.
    ~ingrid

5. biz319
    Posted May 19, 2010 at 12:07 PM | Permalink

Believe it or not, I've never had a peach cobbler before! It looks delicious, like everything you make!

6. tamilyn
    Posted May 19, 2010 at 1:07 PM | Permalink

Peach Cobbler is one of Dude's favorites. Can't wait for the fresh peaches to come in and I can try it.

Happy Birthday tomorrow (I think I remember from last year we have the same birthday!)

7. Sandy
    Posted May 19, 2010 at 3:05 PM | Permalink

I have a similar recipe and I love it.

Of course, I could eat a peach every day and be happy. A pear, too!

Hope you're having a great week!

8. Kirstin
    Posted May 19, 2010 at 3:46 PM | Permalink

That sounds so yummy!!!

9. grace
    Posted May 19, 2010 at 7:32 PM | Permalink

i know this recipe by heart (which, i admit, isn't that impressive) and love it dearly. butter pecan ice cream? yes please!

10. Karen
    Posted May 20, 2010 at 3:50 PM | Permalink

Wow, can't get any easier than that! I like that you can use the canned peaches in this.

11. Mimi
    Posted May 25, 2010 at 12:44 PM | Permalink

Fast, easy and delicious. My peach should be ripe soon.
    Mimi

12. Kathryn
    Posted August 6, 2010 at 1:43 PM | Permalink

That cobbler looks amazing! You should submit the recipe to the Recipe4Living Fall Cobbler Recipe Contest here!

13. Melissa
    Posted March 25, 2012 at 7:55 PM | Permalink

We tried this tonight, and it was wonderful! Added a little vanilla ice cream… yummo!

• Robin Sue
      Posted March 25, 2012 at 8:00 PM | Permalink

Melissa,
      Yay! So happy you tried it, and vanilla ice cream is the perfect addition!

14. Glenda
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM | Permalink

Do you have a recipe for cherry cobbler? I have a few cherry trees and I usually make pies with them, but I would like to try a cobbler. If you don’t have fresh or frozen cherries, do you just use pie filling? Sorry for all the questions!

• Robin Sue
      Posted March 28, 2012 at 3:47 PM | Permalink

Hi Glenda,
      I think you can use cherries for this recipe in place of the peaches being sure to add the extra sugar. I would let the sugar and cherries sit so that it makes its own liquid then add to the recipe- if that makes sense. You are so lucky to have cherry trees! Have you tried making different things with the cherries like salsa, jam, or hand pies. I think it would be fun to have fruit tree!
      Robin Sue

15. Nicole
    Posted April 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM | Permalink

Maybe it’s just not enough experience with the baking, but kind of irked that the noted **plain flour instructions were at the very end of the recipe.
    I’m sure my cobbler will still taste delicious but seriously.
    Easy recipe should also include easy instruction!

Thank you for sharing anyhow! 🙂

• Rich
      Posted January 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM | Permalink

It does say “self-rising” flour….not “all purpose”. >.<

• Bular
      Posted April 6, 2014 at 3:58 PM | Permalink

Nicole, you’re incredibly rude. It’s common knowledge to read a recipe all the way through BEFORE you start it. Irked? No how about idiotic and RUDE. It’s very easy recipe and very simple instruction, someone with half a brain could figure it out.

16. Posted April 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM | Permalink

I’ve been making this cobbler for years and it’s fantastic. I use a big can of peach pie filling for mine.

• Judy
      Posted May 14, 2014 at 6:49 PM | Permalink

I made it and it doesn’t look done to me. Does it jell up or what?

• Robin Sue
      Posted May 16, 2014 at 10:19 AM | Permalink

It will come together more when it cools but you may have to bake it a little longer if it is really wiggly.

17. molly
    Posted April 5, 2012 at 10:16 AM | Permalink

This batter seemed too thin. Are the milk and flour amounts right? 1 1/2 flour and 1 1/2 milk.

• Robin Sue
      Posted April 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM | Permalink

Yes the amounts are correct. It will seem thin. Enjoy!

18. Rachel
    Posted April 6, 2012 at 6:48 AM | Permalink

My family has been making this for generations. The only difference is that we mix the butter with the self rising flour mixture and pour it over the peaches. We also have found that it works well with almond milk for vegans or nondairy eaters! Yum.

19. Posted April 6, 2012 at 8:08 PM | Permalink

Found you on Pinterest and my cobbler is currently in oven. My kids help me put it together – we are all so excited, my hubs will be thrilled I’m sure too! =) Thanks!

20. Mockgriffin
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 11:37 AM | Permalink

I used canned plums…AMAZING!!!

21. Ginnie
    Posted April 21, 2012 at 11:14 AM | Permalink

Just wanted to say I have made this recipe about 6 six times finding this post on Pinterest a few weeks ago. It is the best cobbler recipe I have ever made. I’m a big-time baker, and I’ve made a lot of desserts. This one can’t be beat for flavor or ease! I have used peaches, mixed berries (blueberry, raspberry, blackberry), and cherries. I’ve also altered the recipe for my mother-in-law using Splenda instead of sugar. Thank you SO MUCH for posting this! (And my family thanks you, too!)

• Robin Sue
      Posted April 21, 2012 at 12:07 PM | Permalink

Thank you so much Ginnie for coming back and telling me that you enjoyed this recipe, and so many diffrent fruits too! We have made this one for years and years, have tried others, but keep going back to this one- I can’t wait until peach season!
      Warmly,
      Robin Sue

• Delane
      Posted June 7, 2013 at 2:16 PM | Permalink

Wonderful recipe. My mom spells her name Ginnie too! Funny!

22. Cheri
    Posted April 22, 2012 at 1:55 AM | Permalink

I found this recipe on Pinterest – I am so glad that I did!
    I made it for my family this evening for dessert. It was absolutely delicious. I made a few subtle changes (used a bag of frozen peaches, added some vanilla, cinnamon and about a 1/4 cup of brown sugar) and will make this again and again.

Thank you for such a wonderful recipe!

• Robin Sue
      Posted April 22, 2012 at 10:56 AM | Permalink

Thanks Cheri!
      Glad you liked it!!

23. Posted May 6, 2012 at 4:03 PM | Permalink

ive had this recipe since i was in high schol i am now 30 ive changes that played withthis recipe an make several diferent creations with this recipe it is very good and quick no fuss makes fora quick dessert for dinner when times is tight

24. Michelle
    Posted May 8, 2012 at 6:35 PM | Permalink

This is fabulous!! So yummy!

One Trackback

1. […] original article: Blog Revival Week: Wednesday- Miss Jean's Peach Cobbler | Big … This entry is filed under […]