Cashew Pâté a Vegetarian Pâté

And now for something completely different. I have held on to this recipe for years and years and it wasn’t until about a few weeks ago that I thought of the perfect opportunity to try it out. The Oh! Nuts company shipped me a generous amount of nuts and dried fruits for me to try and spin out a few recipes. I can go through several pounds of pecans during Thanksgiving and Christmas which means I was very happy to find this company. Cashew Pâté is a vegetarian version of the famous liver pâté, so no livers were harmed in the making of this recipe. The cashews give a buttery, nutty, and sweet flavor to this spread AND I was able to eat more than just one bite, which is all about what I could handle with the real deal liver version.

Cashew Pâté
1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) cashews
1 clove garlic, sliced
1 T. butter
3 T. heavy cream
4 ounces cream cheese
kosher salt
ground black pepper

In a medium sized skillet, over medium heat, toast cashews being sure to shake the pan every minute until the nuts are golden and fragrant. Pour into a food processor. In the same skillet melt butter and add garlic, cooking it for about 30 seconds. Add to the nuts and process until smooth. Add cream and cream cheese and process more. Salt and pepper to taste and process one last time until the mixture is smooth. Line a small, one cup bowl with plastic wrap. Decorate with herbs if desired, I used 3 parsley leaves. Then press pâté over the leaves and seal with more plastic wrap. Chill for at least 2 hours. Unmold and serve with sliced baguettes or crackers. Makes about one cup.

Oh! Nuts supplied me with one pound of cashews to make this recipe. Now you may think this is minor, but I was very pleased that the nuts and fruit come in hefty resealable bags. Verra nice indeed. Check out their website for all kinds of healthy treats and more guilty pleasures!

1. Fallon
    Posted July 22, 2010 at 1:29 PM | Permalink

MMM This sounds really good. I use to eat liver when I was younger.. I didn't know what my dad was feeding me til I turned 13. LOL

I love cashews and I know they do amazing things. I'm bookmarking this for a special day.

2. oneordinaryday
    Posted July 22, 2010 at 2:07 PM | Permalink

I'll be honest that I would never want this if it was real liver pate, but I truly can't pass up a cashew. I'm gonna bookmark this one and bring it out over the holidays. Thank you, Robin Sue.

BTW – I dedicated a piece of Mack & Manco's pizza to ya last week. : )

3. Alison
    Posted July 22, 2010 at 2:52 PM | Permalink

This sounds yum! I am going to have to try it. Thanks!

4. biz319
    Posted July 22, 2010 at 3:32 PM | Permalink

I never even thought to use nuts to make pate – you are so smart!

Do you think any kind of nut would work? I have brazil nuts in my pantry and was wondering what I was going to do with them.

Hope you are doing well Robin Sue!

5. vanillasugar
    Posted July 22, 2010 at 4:40 PM | Permalink

oh that sounds soooo good! i love it. very clever you!

6. Ingrid
    Posted July 22, 2010 at 9:13 PM | Permalink

Hey, Sista! How are ya? Kids and summer keeping you busy? Hope all is well with you and the family.

I love nuts. (Okay, that sounded weird.) So, this is definitely something I would enjoy.
    ~ingrid

7. pigpigscorner
    Posted July 23, 2010 at 4:16 AM | Permalink

This sounds so good! I made something similar but without the heavy cream and cheese. Yours sound so delicious!

8. grace
    Posted July 23, 2010 at 6:43 AM | Permalink

when i hear 'pate,' i think 'vomit in mouth.' no, i don't care for the traditional version. your version here, however, is very appealing!

9. Karen
    Posted July 23, 2010 at 8:00 PM | Permalink

This looks very pretty and it must be delicious – I mean, who can pass up cashews?! I love liver… given the chance I would eat way too much liver pate 🙂

10. Penny
    Posted July 25, 2010 at 8:39 AM | Permalink

This would be my go to pate. Can't stand liver. What an unusual recipe! Love it.