Sara Lee’s “What’s Your Lunchtime Challenge?” with Alex Guarnaschelli: Part 1

My three children are back in school and like every other parent, I face Lunchtime Challenges. I did the math and realized that I have packed 3200+ school lunches for my children over the years. My challenges may sound like some of yours: food allergies, picky taste buds, texture issues, two kids like it, one doesn’t, one likes it and two don’t. Then there is the time factor, boredom, and unpreparedness. Are you all nodding your heads yet? I thought so. Here enters Sara Lee’s “What’s Your Lunchtime Challenge?” a community based Facebook page created by Sara Lee as a place where parents can find the latest tips on packing some creative and healthy lunches. To make things more exciting, Alex Guarnaschelli host of Food Network’s Alex’s Day Off and The Cooking Loft, Chopped’s most critical judge, frequent contributor on The Best Thing I Ever Ate, Executive Chef of Butter, and Mom to 3 year old Ava, has joined Sara Lee as their Lunchtime Expert.

While interviewing Alex, I discovered her “keep-it-simple” approach to packing lunches. I must let you know that this is the first formal interview I have ever conducted in my entire life and it happened to be with a celebrity- that in itself is completely humbling and I am extremely grateful for this opportunity. Since the interview is 16 minutes long, I divided it into two parts. In today’s episode Alex shares how parents can add variety to their children’s lunchboxes.

Come back tomorrow to view Part 2: Time Saving Tips.

Will Food Network’s toughest and most critical Chopped judge poo-poo one of Robin Sue’s ideas? Will Robin Sue get Chopped? Will there be eye rolling? Ooh, you’ll have to tune in tomorrow and see…

PS- I have contracted with bobblehead.com to be their next bobble-head. Not many “umms”, but way too many head-nods. Sigh.

See you tomorrow!

1. High Plains Drifters
    Posted September 16, 2010 at 8:00 AM | Permalink

3200+? Wow! Never thought about that before. So, more than likely, that's 6,000 slices of bread?

2. Sheila
    Posted September 16, 2010 at 10:35 AM | Permalink

I like the tip about adding the Italian seasoning with oil and vinegar on the side. My family loves Italian subs but can't add the dressing for lunch; I should have thought of that!

3. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted September 16, 2010 at 11:11 AM | Permalink

Congrats on your interview! Great questions 🙂 I love how you estimated lunches…so funny. I have tried to get a bit more creative yet simplify this year too.

4. Fallon
    Posted September 16, 2010 at 11:50 AM | Permalink

That is a lot of lunches to pack!!! But well worth it I'm sure.

Love the interview. How cool is that!

5. scottnjoyce
    Posted September 16, 2010 at 1:29 PM | Permalink

I think if you breathe once in awhile, your head will stop bobbling! You did great! Not easy to talk to anyone over web cams-and then to do it with a celebrity! Wow!

6. oneordinaryday
    Posted September 16, 2010 at 1:41 PM | Permalink

Oh wow – I've never stopped to count up how many lunchboxes I've packed. Yikes – it's a lot!

You did a great job with your interview, Robin. 🙂

7. Ingrid
    Posted September 16, 2010 at 11:00 PM | Permalink

Very nice, Robin Sue! You did a great job. I didn't notice to many head bobs.
    ~ingrid

8. Peter M
    Posted September 17, 2010 at 2:20 AM | Permalink

R-Sue, nice interview and good catch! You have to share how you managed to get the split-screen interview…it's very Larry King! lol

9. schvin
    Posted September 17, 2010 at 11:00 AM | Permalink

very cool stuff!

10. Anonymous
    Posted September 20, 2010 at 12:05 PM | Permalink

Well done Robin. Enjoyed the interview and you had some thoughtful questions.

Ellen