Bake Sale: Doggie Treats, Acorn Cupcakes, Candy Corn Cookie Bars, and More!

Here we go! The Bake Sale Recap from last week. I baked six different treats from 9 am to 11 pm last Thursday- not sure if I will do that again as it took 4 days to clean Big Red Kitchen. Maybe I will stick with 2 or 3 items next time. My friend Sheila made 5 different cupcakes plus two other items. You have to to see her Sweet and Tart Cupcakes! For my items, I will start you off with the Giant Candy Corn Sugar Cookies.

Bake one recipe Sugar Cookie Bars in an 11×17 inch jellyroll pan. Make up one batch Butter Cream Frosting and dye 1/3 orange, 1/3 yellow, and leave 1/3 white. Frost a 5 inch wide rectangle in the very center of the bars. Then frost a 3 inch ribbon on each side of the white, yellow. Finish the edges with orange.

After cutting a line down the center of the bar, start at the bottom edge and measure 4 inches over. Cut a triangle. Follow the picture above to cut the others. Your cookies will measure 4 inches at the base and 5 inches tall. I got 14 cookies plus scraps for my belly.

Wrap in plastic wrap and sell. We sold these for $2.00 a piece- a bargain!

Now for the cute Acorn Cupcakes. I think from the photo you can see I “glued” a mini Nilla Wafer to a Hershey Kiss using a bit of frosting then topped them with a mini chocolate chip. Very easy and cute. Next time I think I will use melted chocolate so that it looks a little better. These sold for $2 a piece. See how I wrap cupcakes for bake sales.

Instead of scooping out cookies individually, I find it is easier to bake up a batch of regular Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies in a jellyroll pan. You can press in any color of M&M you would like, such as school or team colors. I think I got 16 bars from one pan, then wrapped them in a layer of plastic wrap and sold them for $2 a piece, they were huge!

We can’t leave out the Puppaduppollis’s now can we? Doggies need a treat too. These Chicken Dog Bones are a cinch if you have a giant dog bone cookie cutter. I wrapped these in cellophane bags with a twisty tie and sold them for $1 each.

Chicken Doggie Bones
4 cups flour
3 cups old fashioned oats, not the quick kind
2 T. brown sugar
4 T. veggie or olive oil
1 egg
1 cup hot water, plus a bit more if dough is too dry
1 chicken bouillon cube

Dissolve the bouillon cube in the water then mix all ingredients until it forms a dough. Add a bit more water if dough feels dry (1 tsp at a time), but do not get it too sticky. Press into a large rectangle, you can use a jellyroll pan so that the dough is about 2/3 inch thick. Press out bones using a large bone-shaped cookie cutter or shape into bones using your hands. Continue rolling out and pressing until all the dough is used up. I got 15 large bones. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour. You may make various sizes according to the size of the dog being fed these treats. We used to have a Rottie so hers were BIG.

Another treat I made was giant Rice Krispie Treats on a stick. And the final treat I made was Garlic Ranch Pretzels which I will share later this week. The pretzels, although savory, have a very sweet story, so come on back and see.

For more bake sale ideas click here and scroll through all of my bake sale posts.

1. Barbara
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 6:21 AM | Permalink

The candy corn sugar cookie idea is really cute!
    Glad you did well at the bake sale.

2. Amy K
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 6:57 AM | Permalink

I am in love!!! Those candy corn sugar cookie bars are AWESOME! Hands down, this is the treat I'm making for my daughter's class party! Thanks so much for sharing these Robyn Sue.

3. Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes]
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 8:17 AM | Permalink

Love all the treats. Nothing like a good bake sale 🙂

4. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 9:42 AM | Permalink

These all look wonderful! I love all of them. Candy corn and acorns are so cute! Bars look delicious and of coarse the doggy treats 🙂 I will have to try those too for our 2 puppies. Very fun!

5. CAW
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 10:19 AM | Permalink

You are awesomer than the chocolate chips in my muffin!!
    Thanks for sharing- class parties coming around the corner- I love the secret to wrapping cupcakes- So many good recipes- so little time-

6. Kelly
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 11:19 AM | Permalink

Ack! Dying from cuteness! The candy corn sugar cookies are… well I could kiss you for how simple yet AWESOME these are. You're a life saver.

And the acorns?? *swoon* love love LOVE.

7. Lauren at KeepItSweet
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 12:37 PM | Permalink

love the candy corn cookies, so cute!

8. oneordinaryday
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 1:12 PM | Permalink

I don't know what I like the best – the people treats or the doggie treats. 🙂 Great idea with the sugar cookie bars!

9. Mary at Deep South Dish
    Posted October 13, 2010 at 1:22 AM | Permalink

Wow! You did have a marathon baking session, but everything looks great!! Maybe next time you can make some of it ahead?

10. Anonymous
    Posted October 13, 2010 at 8:25 AM | Permalink

Robin, What was under the acorn cupcake? Was it frosting that was swirled? Mom

11. High Plains Drifters
    Posted October 13, 2010 at 10:04 AM | Permalink

great collection! the candy-corn cookies are too cool.

are the garlic ranch pretzels in the little bags, lower left pic on the first pic at the very top?

cheers!

12. Sabrina
    Posted October 13, 2010 at 2:35 PM | Permalink

those sugar cookies look soooo tasty. And I will have to try the doggy treats for my mutty mutt.

Posted October 13, 2010 at 4:21 PM | Permalink

High Plains Drifters- yup those are the pretzels, recipe coming soon.

Ma- it is frosting with a little karo to make it a bit shiny.

14. Ashlee
    Posted October 13, 2010 at 4:33 PM | Permalink

What a great IDEA. I cannot wait until our next small group at our house so I can serve these. I know they will be a hit. I love this time of year because I feel as if I can put pumpkin in everything. Just the other day I made a Pumpkin Green Monster smoothie. It was amazing. http://ashandlewplus2.com/2010/09/27/pumpkin-green-monster/
    Have a great day Ashlee

15. Mimi
    Posted October 14, 2010 at 12:57 AM | Permalink

Fun fall treats.
    Mimi

16. Ingrid
    Posted October 14, 2010 at 12:31 PM | Permalink

🙂 You know in all the years my children have been attending school & participating in sports there has never been a bake sale.

All your treats look delish, Robin Sue.
    ~ingrid

17. Biz
    Posted October 14, 2010 at 3:59 PM | Permalink

Everything looks amazing Robin Sue! You are so talented – and yes those candy corn cookies are a steel at $2!

Can't wait to try the dog treats!

18. Kristen
    Posted October 17, 2010 at 10:27 PM | Permalink

You were one busy gal. Oh my!
    I never even thought to put dog treats out at a bake sale. What a fantastic idea!

19. Alison
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 3:00 PM | Permalink

I think I will make the dog treats for the dogs at the humane Society for Thanksgiving and Christmas!!

20. Shannon
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 5:01 PM | Permalink

These all look great! I can't wait to try the dog treats. I just made Mac, my yellow lab, some peanut butter boo bites this morning. Check them out http://delectalicious.blogspot.com/2010/10/peanut-butter-boo-bites.html

21. Amy K
    Posted October 27, 2010 at 12:25 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue, you are my daughter's hero for posting these candy corn sugar cookie bars, and I'm her hero for making them to take for her party today.
    I just had to tell you how easy they were to make (I did make mine smaller considering the kids would have other sugary treats as well), and what a huge hit they were. Thanks again for the awesome idea – Victoria thanks you as well!!