Boston Marathon of the Eating Kind

As you read this, I will be in Boston eating my way through my favorite haunts, mostly in the North End or Little Italy. I have a few important things to do, one, compare Regina Pizzaria to Santarpio’s and second, do a Half Moon (Black and White Cookie) Throwdown, and third, do a repeat cannoli throwdown between Mike’s, Modern’s, and Maria’s. After that first throwdown, I had a few people chime in for Maria’s, so to be fair, I will repeat. I am always happy to take one for the team.

I really like Santarpio’s Pizza but have just recently learned that Regina’s ages their dough which Santarps does not. I will compare sauce, crust, and cheese. That’s funny there really isn’t anything else to compare, it’s pizza for goodness sakes. I am hearing that Santarp’s is opening a new location, Peabody?

And for that Half Moon throwdown, I will be comparing Lyndell’s, Bova, Maria’s, Mike’s, and Modern’s. In Boston we call them Half Moons which are frosted and more cake-like, the NYC version is called a Black and White Cookie which is topped with a fondant glaze and has a drier texture. So why the Half Moon? When I was a little girl my Grandma used to take me to Mass, then to the bakery for a Half Moon, then on to her girlfriend’s house for coffee and all the latest gossip, which I never got because it was all in Italian. I was to sit quietly, take my cheek pinches an “how bella I was,” and eat my cookie. I always ate the chocolate frosted side first. So who has the best Half Moon? We’ll see.

More BRK’s Boston Travel Stories
Newbury St. and Fenway Park
Faneuil Hall and The Italian North End
East Boston to Revere and Beyond
Good Food Hunting in Revere
Food Shopping in the North End
Mike’s V. Modern’s Cannoli Throwdown

1. the domestic mama
    Posted October 28, 2010 at 8:27 AM | Permalink

OOOO! I wish I could go with you! Sounds like fun with a YUM. !!!!!

2. Fallon
    Posted October 28, 2010 at 11:13 AM | Permalink

All this talk on pizza, half moon cookies and cannolis is making me very hungry!! Sounds like a lot of fun, can't wait to hear to results.

3. Alison
    Posted October 28, 2010 at 12:58 PM | Permalink

I think I would be really awesome at this kind of marathon! Enjoy!

4. Lisa
    Posted October 28, 2010 at 1:14 PM | Permalink

Those are the marathons I like. Have fun!

5. Biz
    Posted October 28, 2010 at 1:34 PM | Permalink

I am so jealous – would love to go to Boston some time – I've never been!

And I just saw Michael Symon's new show on food network that showed those two pizza places – the crust on both of them was amazing – although one let their dough proof for a minimum of 24 hours, while the other one only let it proof for an hour.

And I think one put the sauce on the top too which I had never seen before.

Have fun!

6. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted October 29, 2010 at 11:31 AM | Permalink

How fun! Eat a slice for all of us, hahah.

7. Mimi
    Posted October 30, 2010 at 3:06 PM | Permalink

Waiting for the results of your eating adventure.

8. stephen
    Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:01 PM | Permalink

sounds right up my alley. I love food focused activities! Today in SF I am having a cooking adventure of my own. Crab bisque, pork shoulder with fennel and pear tarts.