Fire Pit Supper

Our evenings have been beautiful of late so we took advantage of the warm night and ate outside. My brother and his family were over last night and we decided to make our dinner over fire. We served brats, red cabbage, homemade Spätzle, and of course S’mores.

It was very enjoyable sitting around the fire, chatting, and laughing while cooking our brats and roasting marshmallows. I kept it all very simple, why not when we are eating off sticks?

Prior to roasting our brats, I made the Spätzle using a pastry bag instead of the scrape method which worked just as well. I tossed the Spätzle with browned butter.

Our Boy Scout was pleased to help with the fire and carving our cooking sticks. Boys sure do love sharp objects. Sheesh.

We increased our brats’ surface area by quartering the ends for extra charred pleasure.

Oktoberfest Biergarten Fare.

This guy lived his first three years in Germany. You should have seen him in lederhosen. What a doll. And now he is almost all grown up. Time is a thief!

What do you like to cook in your fire pit?

1. Fallon
    Posted October 25, 2010 at 10:25 AM | Permalink

The food looks great!!

I did a fire pit once and of course roasted marshmallows were my favorite!

2. Damaris
    Posted October 25, 2010 at 10:59 AM | Permalink

I would cook….pizza..grilled pizzas my fave.

3. Alison
    Posted October 25, 2010 at 11:44 AM | Permalink

Nothin' better than nice weather, good friends, a fire pit, and s'mores!

4. ~Molly~
    Posted October 25, 2010 at 1:22 PM | Permalink

Look at those blue peeps he's got! Wow!!!

Are the brats you cook already smoked or are they raw? That looks like the perfect outdoor meal for this time of year. My parents have a beautiful flagstone surrounded fire pit but we don't have anything at our house. I'm pushing for some of the menfolk to dig me one next weekend!

Posted October 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM | Permalink

Molly the brats are already smoked, so just need to be warmed through and charred!

6. Penny
    Posted October 26, 2010 at 8:59 AM | Permalink

It all looks great. I'm looking forward to cooking in the kitchen fireplace as soon as it gets a little cooler. We have a cast iron spider with lid in which we cook a pork roast.

7. pigpigscorner
    Posted October 26, 2010 at 2:44 PM | Permalink

So jealous! It's so cold here in the UK I have to use my hot water bottle day and night!

8. Karen
    Posted October 26, 2010 at 7:00 PM | Permalink

Family + good food + outdoors = a perfect evening.

I was raised in Mattapoisett, MA until I was 14. My Dad had a sawmill there, but in 1965 we all make a trek out west to visit relatives. An uncle was moving to Lk Havasu City the next summer and talked my Dad into it. In 1966 we packed up and drove to Havasu. Eventually I made it down to SoCal and now to Montana! We used to visit good friends in Somerville each year. It was about a 50 mile trip, but my Mom packed sandwiches and we took our pillows – it seemed so far from home!

9. grace
    Posted October 27, 2010 at 2:11 AM | Permalink

i've always wanted to try spatzle–thanks for showing us your technique. 🙂

10. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted October 29, 2010 at 11:33 AM | Permalink

I need to try the Spatzle, this will be fun….

11. oneordinaryday
    Posted October 29, 2010 at 5:39 PM | Permalink

We have definitely had some glorious Fall days, haven't we?

Boys love sharp objects AND fire, or at least my boy does. : ) He loves poking the logs around in the fire pit. Love your menu, Robin. Ours is usually just hot dogs and s'mores. We need to branch out a bit, I think.

12. Katherine
    Posted October 30, 2010 at 8:11 PM | Permalink

Wow, what a great looking meal! Thanks for the information on Spatzle. I had never heard of this and enjoyed the link to the post about it. I thought it was funny that most Germans think our US love for peanut butter is funny.

13. Anonymous
    Posted January 16, 2011 at 9:59 PM | Permalink

I am impressed! Blog information posted here is quite my friend. I justified thirst for to guess board up with comments and prominence work. IE browser bookmarks to your blog solely now, I l stumble upon back to drive my friends more in the unborn! The color of the layout is not rotten, it is effortless on the eyes.