Thanksgiving Bûche de Merci

IMG_3233.JPG

Why not a Thankful Log for Thanksgiving? I came up with this idea last year as I was making my pumpkin rolls. I knew the children would out-number the adults, so I wanted a dessert that would make them feel special and would still be enjoyed by mature palates. I cut a one inch slice off the end of the pumpkin roll, placed it on top as you would a Bûche de Noël or Yule Log and decorated the roll with mushrooms. The mushrooms were made simply by pushing the end of a toothpick through a mini marshmallow then through the bottom of a Hershey Kiss. Sprinkled with powdered sugar. Cute. And Done.

Pumpkin Cake Roll
3 eggs
1 C. sugar

Beat for 5 minutes then add:
2/3 C. pumpkin
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
3/4 C. flour

Grease and flour a standard jelly roll pan. Mix batter together, pour in pan. Bake 15 minutes a 375°. Take out of oven and remove from pan. Put on towel that has been sprinkled with powdered sugar. Roll up in towel. Beat until creamy:
8 oz. Cream cheese
4 T. butter
1 C. powdered sugar
1/2 t. vanilla

When cake is cooled, unroll and spread with filling. Re-roll. Refrigerate or may be frozen. When ready to serve sprinkle with powdered sugar. Makes one roll that serves about 10.

More Thanksgiving Day Recipes:
Cream of Peanut Soup

1. Alanna Kellogg
    Posted November 8, 2010 at 7:45 AM | Permalink

Love this idea!

2. oneordinaryday
    Posted November 8, 2010 at 8:45 AM | Permalink

What a great idea, Robin. This dessert would definitely dress up the kids' table!

3. Greg and Donna
    Posted November 8, 2010 at 10:00 AM | Permalink

Great idea! Love the Candy Corn kisses!

4. Denise in PA
    Posted November 8, 2010 at 11:22 AM | Permalink

I just made a pumpkin roll for a baby shower yesterday and it was devoured! This is my third year making these awesome rolls (so easy and SO good!) from you when posted about the assembly-line pumpkin roll making day for the bake sale. Thank you for this great recipe!

5. High Plains Drifters
    Posted November 8, 2010 at 11:54 AM | Permalink

can't do too much with pumpkin this time of the year, for my money!!

6. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted November 8, 2010 at 1:14 PM | Permalink

I love this idea, love the cute "mush-beams", my family would get a kick out of those!

7. the country cook
    Posted November 8, 2010 at 2:31 PM | Permalink

That is gorgeous! I love your little mushrooms. 🙂 I'm one of the hosts for a blog party called This Week's Craving…this week's craving is Thanksgiving Treats and Sweets. You should definitely link this up! It's brilliant! – http://www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

8. Biz
    Posted November 8, 2010 at 4:59 PM | Permalink

My husband and I just discovered its only going to be us for Thanksgiving! His family and my family are all going somewhere else!

I still have a feeling that he'll want a 20 pound turkey though!

Hope you had a great weekend!

9. Lori
    Posted November 8, 2010 at 9:28 PM | Permalink

Hey sounds like a mighty fine idea to me.

10. Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING
    Posted November 8, 2010 at 10:29 PM | Permalink

Thanks a million for linking up to This Week's Cravings!

11. crustabakes
    Posted November 9, 2010 at 10:25 AM | Permalink

What a cute idea! thanksgiving log. i love it!

12. Karen
    Posted November 9, 2010 at 12:15 PM | Permalink

Very cute!

13. April@The 21st Century Housewife
    Posted November 9, 2010 at 12:17 PM | Permalink

This looks beautiful, and it really is a great idea! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

14. Kristen
    Posted November 9, 2010 at 1:28 PM | Permalink

Beautiful and tasty! What a clever idea!

I am one of the This Week's Cravings hosts – thanks for joining us!

15. Lewis
    Posted November 9, 2010 at 9:30 PM | Permalink

Love the idea.. love it.. My wife uses pumpkin during this time of the year a whole lot. The other day she made me a pumpkin green monster smoothie (http://ashandlewplus2.com/2010/09/27/pumpkin-green-monster/). It was amazing.. Have a great night
    Lew

16. Ingrid
    Posted November 11, 2010 at 12:09 AM | Permalink

This reminds me I've been meaning to make your red velvet rolls for FOREVER!
    ~ingrid

17. Mimi
    Posted November 11, 2010 at 5:41 PM | Permalink

Cute and festive idea.
    Mimi

18. Lady Katherine
    Posted November 12, 2010 at 12:09 PM | Permalink

Simply Love it! What a wonderful idea! Love to have a piece now!

19. grace
    Posted November 13, 2010 at 6:22 AM | Permalink

cake-roll-making is definitely an art, and you did a fantastic job! i love the name, too–very proper. 🙂