Advent Day 10: Date Nut Bread

This is my favorite Christmastime bread. Dark, dense, sticky-sweet and with a big schmear of cool cream cheese over top makes the perfect breakfast with my morning coffee. Ma makes it for me every year. She will call and say, “I’m making the Date Nut Bread!” This year I am making it for you. It is very simple to do and I will type out the recipe just as Ma had written it out for me. I can’t remember when Ma started making this bread around Christmas, it always seemed to be right from my beginning, I can’t remember a year without it. Maybe Ma can fill us in on where it came from and when she started making it. Ma?

Date Nut Bread- Ma
Mix together 1/2 pound chopped dates, 2 1/4 cup boiling water, 2 tsp. baking soda.

Stir until foamy. Let cool. Add 1 3/4 cups sugar, 1 egg beaten, 2 3/4 cups. four, 1/3 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 cup chopped walnuts.

Pour into 1 greased 9×5 inch loaf pan plus one more smaller loaf pan. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 45 minutes. (I filled one 9×5 inch loaf 3/4 of the way full and poured the rest of the batter into a 5×5 inch pan- the small loaf finished in 45 minutes, the large in 60 minutes.)

This freezes well.

Come back tomorrow for Day 11.

1. Coconut
    Posted December 10, 2010 at 7:18 AM | Permalink

Date nut bread is one of my all-time favorites, and this recipe is so simple, quick.

I bet, too, that I could easily substitute coconut flour (increasing the egg content to compensate) in this one, in addition to making it for others with regular flour.

Thanks to you, and to "Ma," Robin Sue.

2. Barbara
    Posted December 10, 2010 at 5:59 PM | Permalink

Ohhhh….sticky, gooey date bread. I love it! And with cream cheese? Sheer heaven.
    Thanks, Mom!

3. Biz
    Posted December 10, 2010 at 6:34 PM | Permalink

That looks just like a bread my grandma used to make – the smell of it literally takes me back to her kitchen!

Have a great weekend Robin Sue – hope the temps warm up for you!

4. Velva
    Posted December 10, 2010 at 11:11 PM | Permalink

This would be my favorite morning bread too with a smear of cream cheese, and a really good hot cup of coffee.

Happy Holidays to you.

Velva

5. Anonymous
    Posted December 12, 2010 at 6:22 PM | Permalink

I got this recipe from a neighbor when we lived in Burlington, Ma. We moved there before Robin was born. I always loved datenut bread and when my neighbor who then became my friend gave me the recipe, I have made it ever since. So I have had this recipe for about 35 years. My neighbor and friend was Helen Dyer. Thanks Helen, wherever you are. Ma

6. Dianne Taylor
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 8:45 PM | Permalink

This is delicious! I had to bake the large loaf for 1 hour 20 minutes. Thanks for sharing with us, Ma!

7. Betsy Carey
    Posted October 3, 2014 at 7:45 PM | Permalink

This is my ultimate favorite Date Nut Bread recipe ! My friends and family request it every holiday or get together 😉

8. Linda
    Posted October 4, 2014 at 9:38 AM | Permalink

I just put this in the oven…I can’t wait for it to come out. From the picture it looks just like the Date Nut bread I ate as a child but I have not had since. My family seems to reminisce about this delicious bread frequently but no one knows where the recipe went. I hope this is it! Fingers crossed, I’ll let you know.

• Robin Sue
      Posted October 8, 2014 at 9:56 AM | Permalink

Yes, let me know! We love this recipe, especially schmeared with cream cheese or thick gobs of butter.

• Linda
      Posted October 11, 2015 at 7:18 AM | Permalink

Haha!! This is it! That wonderful date-nut bread from my childhood. Only problem with this recipe is my family adores it…they ask me to make it constantly! Good thing its easy.

9. Dee
    Posted December 30, 2014 at 11:08 AM | Permalink

This is the 1st time I tried this it is so good I will make it a must so very good reminds me of what we use to have when I was a little girl. And that was a long time ago.

10. Jackie
    Posted January 21, 2015 at 6:35 AM | Permalink

Please clarify. Are you using pre-chopped dates or chopping up whole, pitted dates? They are quite different. And, if using whole, did you measure them out before or after you chopped them? Thank you.

• Robin Sue
      Posted January 21, 2015 at 7:13 PM | Permalink

Pre- chopped. I hope you enjoy the recipe! My Ma makes this for me every year!

11. LBS
    Posted December 1, 2016 at 10:52 AM | Permalink

An excellent date nut recipe. I add 2tsp. instant coffee to kick it up a notch. It reminds me of Hess’s department store in Allentown, Pa. special with their chicken salad. Thanks