Advent Day 13: Pool of Butter Biscuits

Perfect for Christmas Morning, a quick side with hot soup, or a snack with afternoon tea. Serve with honey butter or jam.

Now don’t click away yet. I found this recipe on thekitchn called Butter Dips. I love making biscuits on weekend nights and serving them with ham, honey butter, and various jams. The thing about biscuits that I do not like is rolling them out- such a big mess- flour everywhere. Although thekitchn rolls theirs out, I figured I could simply spread the dough out in the dish over that big pool of melted butter. You see, in this recipe you do not cut the butter into the biscuit dough, you melt it in the dish then bake the biscuits in that golden pool of goodness. I adapted the recipe and technique to suit my needs, click here to see how they do it. You will find these to have a lovely golden crust on the bottom as seen in the photo above. The center is incredibly light and fluffy. The BRK gang loved these! I have made these twice, one plain and one with cinnamon sugar sprinkled over top. It’s easy, follow along…

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Slice up 1/2 stick of butter and place it on the bottom of an 8×8 inch dish.

When the oven reaches 450 degrees place dish of butter in oven to melt for one minute. Meanwhile mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, slowly pouring buttermilk into mixture until just blended. Remove the baking dish of melted butter from oven and spread biscuit dough over melted butter with floured fingers.

Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.

Enjoy with honey butter, ham, and jams. So light and fluffy!

Pool of Butter Biscuits– adapted from thekitchn
1/2 stick butter
1 1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
2/3 cup buttermilk- thekitchn used regular milk, either are great

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Slice up butter and place it on the bottom of an 8×8 inch dish. When the oven reaches 450 degrees place dish of butter in oven to melt for one minute. Meanwhile mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, slowly pouring buttermilk mixture until just blended. Remove melted butter from oven and spread biscuit dough over melted butter with floured fingers. Using a dough cutter/scraper that had been dipped into the melted butter and then in flour, cut the biscuits into 9 even squares. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden. Makes 9.

Note- Recipe can be doubled and baked in a 9×13 inch dish for 13-15 minutes.

Come back tomorrow for Day 14.

1. Coconut
    Posted December 13, 2010 at 7:37 AM | Permalink

Just looking at the pictures is making my mouth water. I love, too, that the dough goes right into the pan.

There is very limited counter space in my tiny kitchen, so I don't do much baking of the kind that requires rolling. As you said, the flour gets all over the place, as well.

Can't wait to try this recipe!

Thanks, Robin Sue.

2. The Santimaw's
    Posted December 13, 2010 at 2:19 PM | Permalink

Robin:

They turned out yummy!!! Thanks for the recipe!!!

Love Ya!!
    Lori

3. Karen
    Posted December 13, 2010 at 3:27 PM | Permalink

Mmm, these look so fluffy – and so easy!

4. Mindy
    Posted December 13, 2010 at 5:05 PM | Permalink

These look delicious! I hate the rolling and cutting, too, but these just make it too easy!

5. Missy
    Posted December 13, 2010 at 9:14 PM | Permalink

Hi…I made these tonight and they turned out yummy…but they stuck to the bottom of my glass pan. Any suggestions? Thanks 🙂

6. Jaz_Cooks
    Posted December 13, 2010 at 9:32 PM | Permalink

Biscuits are something I rarely eat anymore because most recipes call for shortening, and I don't eat any hydrogenated fats. THANK YOU for this recipe – I can't wait to try it with some nice hot apple cider over a scrabble game, lol.

Posted December 13, 2010 at 9:40 PM | Permalink

Missy- I had a small section in the middle stick a bit and I think when I dropped the dough down in the middle the butter pooled to the sides. So try tilting the pan back and forth and jiggling the biscuits to make sure the butter is even under all of them. They are yummy! Thanks!

8. grace
    Posted December 14, 2010 at 2:20 AM | Permalink

with a name like that supported with images like those, i'd be a fool not to bookmark this page and make these immediately. and i'm no fool. 🙂

9. Ingrid
    Posted December 14, 2010 at 8:08 PM | Permalink

Ooo, I can't wait to try these! Lazy baker biscuits.
    ~ingrid

10. Anonymous
    Posted December 14, 2010 at 8:49 PM | Permalink

Perfection! Had them with honey tonite!

11. Kelly
    Posted December 15, 2010 at 9:05 AM | Permalink

I immediately starred this in my reader and had to show my husband. I knew he'd be all over these. Can't wait to try them – they look amazing! (and super simple, which is a huge bonus!)

12. High Plains Drifters
    Posted December 16, 2010 at 12:24 PM | Permalink

that looks simple and brilliant at the same time!

Best to you and yours this holiday. Cheers!

13. Kristen Bieber
    Posted December 16, 2010 at 6:43 PM | Permalink

Tonight is the 2nd time I have made them this week, the kids requested them tonight. Thanks for a great recipe!

14. schvin
    Posted December 17, 2010 at 9:37 PM | Permalink

made these tonight with meatball stroganoff! delicious, thank you!

happy holidays!

15. Biz
    Posted December 23, 2010 at 11:52 AM | Permalink

How did I miss this one? Definitely making these for our Christmas dinner!!

And I imagine they will be delicious with turkey sammies for leftovers – can't wait!

16. White Tiger
    Posted December 29, 2010 at 7:57 PM | Permalink

I can't wait to try these. Goodbye rolling pin!!!!!

17. Danielle S
    Posted January 4, 2011 at 10:37 PM | Permalink

Yummm! They were amazing. I have tried so many different recipes and disappointed. I just subscribed to your blog today and had to try these right away. Thank you BRK I can't wait to try more.

18. Kathy
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 3:50 PM | Permalink

Oh-wow! These would be perfect to take to Bible study!!! The only thing is… I would need to double this recipe! Do you think a 9X13 pan would be too small? Should I use a 11×15 instead? Just wanted your thoughts!!! Thanks for sharing :O)

Posted January 26, 2011 at 5:51 PM | Permalink

Kathy
    I had doubled the recipe and made them in a 9×13 so if you want to double it from there then yes I would use the bigger pan! Enjoy!

20. Regina
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 12:24 PM | Permalink

These are definately getting made soon! How can I diet with so much good food to be tasted! One question…did you sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar before baking or after? If after, I guess on the butter side?

Posted February 2, 2011 at 4:42 PM | Permalink

Regina- These are so good and easy to make, I hope you enjoy them. I sprinkled the cin/sugar on before baking. Thanks!

22. Lauren
    Posted February 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM | Permalink

When I went to buy buttermilk all they had was reduced fat. Should I use that or just whole milk? THANKS!

Posted February 11, 2012 at 2:30 PM | Permalink

Lauren- Yes that will work! I have even used whole milk. Happy cooking!

• Sharon Russell
      Posted October 5, 2015 at 10:55 PM | Permalink

I keep canned powdered buttermilk in my pantry. Very convenient. Just add water. Instructions on the can.

24. Daddy_Doc
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 12:02 PM | Permalink

I love biscuits, but hate making them and they never turn out….but these.are.amazing! We had them for breakfast with homemade rasberry jam… In heaven on a Sunday morning. Thanks for this recipe.

Posted February 22, 2012 at 9:00 PM | Permalink

Daddy Doc- Yay! So glad ya'll liked them!