Advent Day 14: Quick Hollandaise Sauce

When a recipe states “Be careful not to let the eggs get too hot or they will scramble” that is usually code for “Robin Sue will scramble the eggs at least once while trying this recipe and will have to start over again.” “Careful” in a recipe spells disaster for me, mostly because I am always in a hurry. Oh I can do the fancy sauces that call for using the back of a spoon to test them, but on Christmas Morning when sugar plums are dancing in my head, I don’t want an “Iron Chef” challenge. I want a guarantee. You may argue that taste is sacrificed here, but you know what is not? Time with my family.

For the last 2 Christmas Mornings, Ma and I have made Eggs Benedict using greased silicone cupcake cups in a covered skillet filled with about 1/3 inch of water to poach the eggs, hence the ridges seen in the photo below. While the eggs cooked we placed Canadian Bacon and sliced English Muffins on a jelly-roll pan and placed in a 400 degree oven until the muffins are toasted. We also made this Quick Hollandaise Sauce and everything came together in under 15 minutes.

Quick Hollandaise Sauce– by Ma and I
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 mayonnaise
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. Dijon Mustard
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
2 pinches Kosher salt
dash Cayenne
1/2 T. Butter

Mix the first 7 ingredients until smooth. Heat in microwave for 45 seconds or until hot but not too much or you will “break” it. Add butter and mix until smooth. Serve over Eggs Benedict or roasted vegetables, great with asparagus. Makes 1/2 cup sauce.

Come back tomorrow for Day 15.

1. oneordinaryday
    Posted December 14, 2010 at 9:34 AM | Permalink

Ya know, I have never had eggs benedict before. This sounds totally do-able though, and looks great.

2. schvin
    Posted December 14, 2010 at 1:24 PM | Permalink

super clever! thanks very much, eggs benedict is one of my favorite dishes and i will certainly try this twist!

3. Heather (The Menu Mama)
    Posted December 14, 2010 at 3:22 PM | Permalink

Ooh, poached eggs are soooo hard to get right, what a great idea! And your Hollandaise Sauce looks delicious as well. Yummy!

• Posted December 13, 2012 at 10:17 PM | Permalink

Brekkie in baulkham hills dirstict – yummo! / I really like what you’re writing here. Keep making breakfast that way and no-one in Baulkham Hills will be eating brekkie at home anymore! lol Take care!

4. Big Dude
    Posted December 14, 2010 at 4:36 PM | Permalink

The breakfast looks delicious, and whether or not the sauce is Hollandaise, it only matters if you like it with the dish – I plan to try it.

5. FOODalogue
    Posted December 14, 2010 at 8:29 PM | Permalink

Looks great. I've used those molds to make egg muffins (scrambled eggs + stuff) but I never thought about using them for poaching.

6. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted December 17, 2010 at 7:51 PM | Permalink

I love how you make the eggs! I need to get those silicone muffins right away, I always make eggs benedict on Christmas Morning. I will give this sauce a try too since looks so easy 🙂

7. Jess
    Posted December 14, 2011 at 5:16 PM | Permalink

What a great idea using reusable cupcake liners to poach eggs! I just did it the old fashioned way last night and it didn't work out so well. It's always hit or miss for me so I'll have to try it your way!

8. Gwen0412
    Posted January 23, 2012 at 1:04 PM | Permalink

I have used this recipe and it is most delicious!!!! The only thing I have a problem with is how long to cook the eggs? I know a typical poach is 3 minutes, but mine were still raw. Also is it better with room temp eggs? Thanks!!!

Posted January 23, 2012 at 1:39 PM | Permalink

Gwen0412- I use my eggs cold right from the fridge. If you want a harder yolk, go a minute more. When I do a bunch in the pan like the photo, we start taking the soft cooked ones out first, then for the folks that like them more done, we give it a minute or two more. My hubby likes them hard, so his are more like 5 minutes!