Advent Day 17: Homemade Herbed Rice Mix

While we are on the topic of homemade mixes, I may as well toss this one your way. I think I have placed enough sweet recipes on here during Advent to choke a small village of horses. Here is a savory one, but not without a story first. A long time ago I planned a huge Make-A-Mix Party for the ladies at church, 75 to be exact. I chose to make this Herbed Rice Mix, Italian Dressing Mix, Hot Cocoa Mix, and a jarred mix called Cranberry Hootycreeks (the best jarred cookie mix ever!) Are you doing the math yet?

That is 75 Mason Jars and pounds and pounds of flour, sugar, rice, spices, vanilla chips, etc. Ma helped. She and I looked ridiculous at Costco with our huge trolley of ingredients- oh plus all the bins, measuring spoons, measuring cups, and funnels needed. She and I figured we had well over 500 pounds of goods in my SUV. 75 women made a total of 825 mixes in under 45 minutes I could not leave things well enough alone, oh no, not me! I had the ladies bag their Italian Dressing Mix in individual button bags, made material toppers for the jars, along with ribbons and had printed out hundreds of labels for all their mixes. So here is the run down- 75 women made a total of 825 mixes in under 45 minutes. You should have seen Ma. She was like the Food Gestapo, “No heaping, no heaping, it has to be exact! You heapin’ women you!” she shouted. Boy she and I had a good laugh later that night when we imagined that some of those mixes that went home were going to be awfully salty or sweet. You never saw so many women having so much fun, it was great!

Herbed Rice Mix– adapted from Taste of Home Dec/Jan/1995, pg 19.
3 cups basmati rice, jasmine is nice too
2 T. instant chicken bouillon granules**
1/4 cup dried parsley
1 T. dried minced onion
1/2 tsp. dried granulated garlic, not powder
1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves, not powdered

Combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container.

For gift-giving, include this label:
Combine 2 cups water and 1 T. butter in a saucepan, bring to a boil. Stir in 1 cup Herbed Rice Mix. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. 6 servings.
Store in cool, dry place for up to one year.

**If you have a sensitivity to MSG, which most bouillons contain, then omit and boil rice in natural chicken broth, then salt to taste.

Come back tomorrow for Day 18.

1. Jenn L in Chicago
    Posted December 17, 2010 at 8:54 AM | Permalink

Can you recommend a dry substitute for the bouillon granules if I can't find that? Like, can I use regular cubes, and if so, how much? Thanks!!

Posted December 17, 2010 at 9:04 AM | Permalink

Jenn- Granuales are common but just in case, you can use the cubes but would have to smash them up to a powder. 1 tsp. granules = 1 cube. So that would mean 6 cubes. Give it a go! Thanks.

3. oneordinaryday
    Posted December 17, 2010 at 9:38 AM | Permalink

Oh my gosh, I can just imagine that evening! Your mom must be a hoot~ I love hearing about her. I'm loving this recipe mix too. My kids hate regular, steamed rice, but they adore those mixes that come in a pouch from the store. I wonder if I could trick them with this. 🙂 I'm up for the challenge!

4. Ingrid
    Posted December 17, 2010 at 10:46 AM | Permalink

Robin Sue I think I love your Ma! I just wanna give her a BIG hug, have her feed me while listening to her stories. You have good ones but I bet hers are even better. Be sure to tell her she has a fan in FL!

Happy Friday!
    ~ingrid

5. High Plains Drifters
    Posted December 17, 2010 at 11:52 AM | Permalink

I hope no one called OSHA about your assembly line!

6. Karen
    Posted December 17, 2010 at 1:19 PM | Permalink

I'm tired just thinking about all the work it took for you to get all the mix stuff together! Sounds like a fun thing to do 🙂

Posted December 17, 2010 at 5:08 PM | Permalink

High Plains- Yeah they would have arrested me for no hair nets!!!
    Hahahahaha!

8. Biz
    Posted December 17, 2010 at 6:00 PM | Permalink

Oh my goodness Robin Sue – I can just picture you and your Ma organizing that – brave women you both are! 😀

I've been enjoying all these posts!!

Have a great weekend,

Biz

9. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted December 17, 2010 at 7:48 PM | Permalink

Delish! I am always looking for a good rice mix. I will be trying this soon, thanks.

10. Alysha @ She's on the Run
    Posted January 2, 2011 at 10:27 PM | Permalink

What an awesome gift ideal. This is my favorite type of rice a' roni. I can't wait to make this!