Advent Day 18: Gift Boards

At this time of year many gift baskets, towers, and tins are filled and given. I love them. So pretty and full of lovely things. Himself’s office is full each Christmas with amazing baskets and I always tell him to snag the smoked salmon.

I wanted Big Red Kitchen to have her own special gift that was sentimental and really represented my traditions, background, and experiences. I love small meals of crackers and bread with various cheeses, meats, spreads, fruits and nuts, and olives. Many cultures have names for these kind of tiny meals such as the British Ploughman’s Lunch, the Bavarian Brotzeit or “Bread Time,” and the Italian Antipasti all of which are served on a platter, plate, or wooden board. I went with the rustic look of a board. Any wooden cutting board will do.

How to create your gift board…

1. Choose a nice cutting board that you think the recipient may like.

2. Run a piece of waxed paper down the length of the board and tuck under the board, overlapping underneath, tape together. This will protect your board from being scratched by any of the packaged items you place on the board.

3. Place your chosen items over the board and tape in place with a large piece of clear packing tape, this is so everything does not slide around. Be sure the tape only touches the waxed paper and not your beautiful board.

5. Wrap with clear cellophane and secure with tape under the entire package.

6. Top with a label and bow.

Need ideas for your serving board? Try small packages of…
nuts
seeds
dried fruits
chocolate
spreads
cheese
meats
jams
crackers

For this serving board, I created an Italian Theme to include a garlic and herbed goat cheese, Italian truffle cheese, salami, and almonds with rosemary. I also included a box of crackers under the board and gifted it all with a bottle of Rosa Regale. Oh, and its really cool if your name is stamped into the board.

Come back tomorrow for Day 19.

1. oneordinaryday
    Posted December 18, 2010 at 8:36 AM | Permalink

Excellent gift idea, Robin. I LOVE that you stamped right into the side of the board!!!

2. High Plains Drifters
    Posted December 18, 2010 at 9:20 AM | Permalink

I think exactly once in my life I've found a pre-packaged, store-bought gift basket that didn't make my stomach curl with the mark-up. (Wine Library usually does a good one around this time of the year.) It's too easy to buy a bunch of things you really like and make your own basket. And yet, I never thought of attaching it to a cutting board. I don't care who you are, you always need another cutting board!
    Cheers!

3. High Plains Drifters
    Posted December 18, 2010 at 9:21 AM | Permalink

Another thing … because it's relatively flat, I'll bet they slip into those flat rate USPS boxes pretty good.
    Cheers!

4. FOODalogue
    Posted December 18, 2010 at 10:46 AM | Permalink

Oh, no you don't. Great idea but the best part was the branded board. How did you do it?

5. Velva
    Posted December 18, 2010 at 9:17 PM | Permalink

What a great idea to create a gift board. It's too late for me now but, I have written this idea down as a gift idea.

6. the domestic mama
    Posted December 19, 2010 at 7:52 AM | Permalink

Oh Robin!!!! I am so loving the gift ideas!!!!

7. BigBearswife