Advent Day 20: Sticky Asian Chicken

Let’s think past Christmas for just a moment, OK? Like New Year’s Eve. Many of our NYE celebrations have included Chinese food, it seems that way for many folks around here as the Chinese restaurants are bustling that night, and their takeout business is over the moon busy. So here is a delicious dish that is easy to make and feeds a crowd. But the best part, no reservations needed.

Sticky Asian Chicken
1 cup butter, yes butter
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
3 eggs, whisked
3.5-4 pounds boneless/skinless chicken thighs, excess fat removed
12 ounces plus 1 cup teriyaki marinade and finishing sauce**
1/2- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes, optional
1 bunch green onions, sliced, green only
3 cups of basmati rice, cooked according to package directions

Dip thighs in eggs then flour, shaking off excess flour. Fry in butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Fry each side until golden. Drain on paper towels. Pour 12 ounces of teriyaki sauce in a bowl and stir in pepper flakes then dip each fried piece of chicken in the sauce coating each side well. Shake off excess sauce. Place each piece of chicken on a well greased foil-lined large jelly-roll pan. Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and slice each piece and plate over a bed of rice. Heat one cup teriyaki sauce and pour over chicken, sprinkle with green onion slices and serve immediately. Serves 12.

**Your teriyaki sauce must be thick like a barbecue sauce. I used a pineapple ginger teriyaki marinade and finishing sauce, thick, glossy, and delicious.

For an appetizer, make Crab Rangoon. And for your side dish, make Broccoli Ramen Salad, come back tomorrow for its recipe.

Come back tomorrow for Day 21.

1. Gloria (The Little Red House with the White Porch)
    Posted December 20, 2010 at 10:39 AM | Permalink

YUM!!!!! This is my first time at your blog (I have a red kitchen too, but I'd have to call mine "Tiny Red Kitchen!) and I thank you for sharing this recipe because it looks delicious. And you are right, this would be perfect for New Year's Eve. Happy Holidays and have fun!
    Best regards,
    Gloria

2. oneordinaryday
    Posted December 20, 2010 at 4:41 PM | Permalink

Looks like a great dish for a crowd!

3. Susan
    Posted December 20, 2010 at 5:01 PM | Permalink

For years I find it necessary to eat Chinese food on New Year's Eve.

4. hannahbananalee
    Posted December 21, 2010 at 1:21 AM | Permalink

This was absolutely delicious on Sat!! =) Btw, my roommate sent me a recipe for sour cream muffins and low and behold, it was yours!!!

Posted December 21, 2010 at 8:47 AM | Permalink

Hannah- Thanks, Sat night was fun! Now that is funny about the muffins. See you at CF tonight!

6. Margaret
    Posted December 23, 2010 at 11:01 AM | Permalink

Did this last night when I had my own family to feed, and later on the Murphy boys showed up and I knew they'd be hungry. Terrific! And not hard to do. This is an absolute keeper. Looks pretty, too.

Posted December 24, 2010 at 12:02 PM | Permalink

Margaret- That's a whole lot of people to feed! Glad you liked the chicken!

8. Anonymous
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 8:45 AM | Permalink

made this last night for hubby and I…it was FANTASTIC! Served with a side of steamed broccoli..we couldn't stop eating it! Thank you so much for sharing!

9. Joey
    Posted August 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM | Permalink

Love the looks of this recipe! Any idea if this wouls still work with cornstarch? I have a 4 year old celiac in the house. Love your recipes and many of them are naturally gluten free or easily adapted! Thanks for posting all these fabulous recipes!

• Robin Sue
      Posted August 12, 2012 at 7:04 PM | Permalink

Yes cornstarch will work fine for this. Thank you!!
      Robin

10. Jillian
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 5:11 PM | Permalink

Can this be made with chicken breast? Is there an alternative to the butter?

As is this recipe is 532 calories per serving including 25.9g total fat (12.5g saturated, .8g polyunsaturated, 4.5g monounsaturated, 0g trans), 186mg cholesterol, 1645mg sodium, 35mg potassium, 45.2g carbs, 29.2g protein.

I know this isn’t perfectly accurate as the flour isn’t used in it’s entirety and the marinade isn’t, either. The calories are in the butter, chicken and marinade. I can figure a more accurate calorie count after I have made it the first time.

Overall, under 500 for a meal isn’t bad! I might try this a few different ways to see if I can get it any lower.

• Robin Sue
      Posted December 8, 2012 at 5:23 PM | Permalink

Yes you can do this with chicken breasts, fry it in olive oil, there are always good ways to decrease the calories. This is why I only make this once a year;-)

One Trackback

1. By » Asian Lacquered Sticky Chicken Recipe on February 21, 2014 at 6:09 PM

[…] Asian Drumsticks, 15 Spatulas Sticky Chicken, Big Red Kitchen Sticky Asian Chicken, Full Bellies, Happy Kids Spicy Sticky Chicken, […]