Advent Day 22: Christmas Brunch Part 1- Sausage Apple Ring

Christmas Morning in Big Red Kitchen is a delicious time. While we are opening gifts, enticing aromas drift from the kitchen, like Wassail, Hot Fruit Salad, Scotch Eggs or Eggs Benedict, and New Jersey Coffee Cake. Opening gifts last year took about 2 hours, not because there were many gifts but because we stopped to have coffee and pick on Ma’s famous fudge and Italian cookies, play with a toy, dance to Daelyn’s Dance Mix CD, and build a Lego set or two. After a while we decided to have our brunch. I have made Hot Fruit Salad every Christmas since Himself and I married 17 years ago. I have alternated the main dish and coffee cake each year and this year I am making Sausage Apple Ring and Too-Easy-To-Be-Good-Coffee-Cake.

Sausage Apple Ring
2 pounds breakfast sausage, I used Jimmy Dean’s All Natural
1 1/2 cups buttery cracker crumbs
1 medium apple finely diced
1/2 sweet onion finely diced
1/2 cup white wine or apple cider
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 eggs
——

8 eggs whisked with a bit of milk, salt and pepper
sliced chives

In a large bowl mix first 7 ingredients until well blended. In a plastic wrap-lined bundt pan, firmly pat sausage mixture and cover over with the edges of the plastic wrap. (I laid out 3 pieces of plastic wrap side by side to make one huge piece.) Flip out into a plate and refrigerate overnight or for at least two hours. When ready to bake, remove from plastic and place on a foiled lined jellyroll pan with sides and bake for 50-60 minutes in a 350 degree oven until browned. In the last 10 minutes of baking scramble eggs. To serve, carefully remove the sausage ring to a pretty plate and fill center with scrambled eggs, garnish with sliced chives. Serves 6-8.

NOTE- If scrambled eggs is not your thing, then fill the center with roasted vegetables or baked apples. Even hashbrowned potatoes would work nicely.

Come back tomorrow for Day 23 and Too-Easy-To-Be-Good-Coffee-Cake.

1. Anne @ Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy
    Posted December 22, 2010 at 10:08 AM | Permalink

I've been looking for a Christmas Eve brunch recipe that everyone in my little family can eat – I might try this with some kind of wheat-free crumbs and just skipping the eggs. (do it all the time with meatballs and meatloaf, so it should work for this, too, I think). At any rate, this looks like something special we could potentially all enjoy!

2. Kristen
    Posted December 22, 2010 at 6:54 PM | Permalink

The meat eaters in my family would do the happy dance if I brought that to the breakfast table!

3. Anonymous
    Posted December 22, 2010 at 7:55 PM | Permalink

We have the most wonderful Christmas Brunch at Robin's Big Red Kitchen. It gives us, mother and daughter,a chance to cook together.
    When we lived in the area, Robin would bring us Christmas breakfast that we would just need to warm up. It was hot fruit salad, Scotch eggs, N.J. coffeecake. It also came with red plastics forks, red plates and Christmas napkins. Now that we live a distance, we get to spend Christmas at Robin's and we get to cook together. That's special. Ma

4. oneordinaryday
    Posted December 23, 2010 at 5:00 PM | Permalink

What a creative dish to add to breakfast.
    Have a wonderful time cooking with your special Ma, Robin. Merry Christmas!

5. grace
    Posted December 24, 2010 at 2:14 PM | Permalink

i LOVE this concept! sausage rocks the buttons off my shirt. bravo.

6. vanillasugar
    Posted December 24, 2010 at 3:48 PM | Permalink

i remember those scotch eggs! vividly! ha
    i love the idea of a sausage ring, i would love to put a glaze on it.
    how do you stay so thin?

7. Robostir
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 11:47 AM | Permalink

This sausage apple ring looks like a wonderful idea. Thanks for the great recipe.