Advent Day 5: Long Lasting Hot Buttered Rum

It shocks me that I have yet to post on this recipe. While living in Germany it was tradition for the military folks to travel all over Europe to visit the various Christmas Bazaars. Spangdahlem AFB always did an exceptional job especially those 22 Stinger Spouses. Every year they sold Glühwein- hot spiced wine, and Hot Buttered Rum. They did have the biggest following. One thing they did that was really neat was that they sold this Long Lasting Hot Buttered Rum in small jars, or you could purchase their cookbook and make it yourself. I bought the book.

Just a spoonful or two of this batter added to hot water and a splash of rum will definitely warm the cockles of your heart for the evening. You will feel it go all the way down! We also serve it sans rum and call the drink Toffee Steamers. A scoop in our morning coffee for a Toffee Coffee has been found to be delicious too.

Long Lasting Hot Buttered Rum- adapted from the 22 Stinger Spouses
1 pound light brown sugar
8 ounces honey
2 sticks salted butter
7 ounce jar marshmallow creme
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, I used fresh
1 T. vanilla

In a large bowl using your stand mixer or hand mixer, beat all ingredients until well blended. Pour into a one quart jar and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Stores for 3 months. To serve, place one or two tablespoonfuls in a mug of boiling water. Add a splash of rum and top with whipped cream. Also good as a virgin drink topped with whipped cream and we like a scoop every now and again in our coffee. This makes great gifts, simply give in smaller jars with a gift tag stating…

“Long Lasting Hot Buttered Rum- Store in refrigerator up to 3 months. To serve, place one or two tablespoonfuls in a mug of boiling water. Add a splash of rum and top with whipped cream. Also good without rum topped with whipped cream called a Toffee Steamer. Try a scoop in your coffee for a Toffee Coffee.”

Come back tomorrow for Advent Day 6.

1. Karen
    Posted December 5, 2010 at 1:59 PM | Permalink

This sounds so good – I like the idea of putting it into coffee!

2. tamilyn
    Posted December 5, 2010 at 2:16 PM | Permalink

Sounds yummy. It is definately cold here, so that would warm me right up!

3. Rebecca (Foodie With Family)
    Posted December 5, 2010 at 2:19 PM | Permalink

Oh my. I have everything I need to whip this up and I'm going to do it as soon as I hit "comment" here. Hot Toffee Steamers sound divine!(The Hot Buttered Rum ALSO sounds wonderful, but for gift giving, I think I'll go the Hot Toffee Steamers direction!)

4. Coconut
    Posted December 5, 2010 at 5:16 PM | Permalink

It's a balmy 27 degrees Fahrenheit now here, with a wind chill of 15. Winds are gusty, at around 21 mph.

This is nothing for this mountain region, and I love it, but I sure wouldn't mind having a nice hot mug of this drink in my hand right this second.

Another winner/keeper from Big Red Kitchen. Thanks, Robin Sue.

5. Kelly
    Posted December 6, 2010 at 9:26 AM | Permalink

I've always been intrigued by the name "hot buttered Rum". It just SOUNDS good – and I love the butter rum lifesavers. Remember those? Do they still make them? *flashing back*

I'll have to give this a try!

6. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted December 6, 2010 at 12:17 PM | Permalink

Ohhhh I need to try this in my coffee!

7. Mimi
    Posted December 6, 2010 at 12:20 PM | Permalink

Something for everyone…perfect for our Christmas neighborhood sing along.
    Mimi

8. grace
    Posted December 7, 2010 at 6:06 AM | Permalink

this is not what i thought buttered rum was–it's a million times better! what a great set of ingredients.

9. Sheena
    Posted December 8, 2010 at 4:30 PM | Permalink

This sounds super good! Also, speaking of Spangdahlem that's where I live right now!

10. April
    Posted December 23, 2010 at 3:19 PM | Permalink

This recipe is wonderful and thank you for posting it. I have lost my recipe book I purchased while stationed in Spangdahlem. For the 4 years we were there, we attended the Bazaar faithfully if only to enjoy a cup of their wonderful Hot Buttered Rum. The first few years back in the states I made sure to share a batch during the holidays but let the tradition go sadly. This year, I'm bringing it back! Highly recommended. 🙂

11. Amy K
    Posted December 28, 2010 at 7:56 AM | Permalink

Once again Robin Sue, you hit it out of the park. I made a batch of this for our Christmas gatherings, and to say it was a hit is an understatement! I passed your recipe along to soooo many people.
    Thanks for all the awesomeness you share here!

12. Christina G.
    Posted November 7, 2011 at 11:13 PM | Permalink

I last had this at the Christmas 2005 bazaar. I've been searching for the recipe ever since! I found one that tasted very similar that had vanilla ice cream instead of marshmallow fluff that tasted pretty good. I can not wait to try this and be flashed back! Thank you so much!!

13. Fantasy G.
    Posted December 5, 2013 at 3:22 PM | Permalink

Thank you for posting this… I loved having this every year while stationed there. Think I might have to whip up a few batches and hand them out to the neighbors 🙂

14. heidi
    Posted December 6, 2016 at 6:51 PM | Permalink

love hot.buttered rum..cant wait to try this