Advent Day 6: Hurry Up Pepper Jelly

If you have been following Big Red Kitchen for a while you know that Robin Sue likes to cut corners. Her Ma calls her lazy- and Robin Sue heartily agrees! She enjoys day-dreaming. She procrastinates. She would rather do anything than clean house. Well Robin Sue does not like to can as in putting up, preserving, or making jams and jellies. Her favorite things to purchase at Farmer’s Markets are the jams and jellies just so she does not have to make them herself. But here’s the rub, Robin Sue loves Pepper Jelly and it can be hard to find during the winter months unless she is willing to fork over 6 bucks for a thimble-sized jar of Harry and David’s. So she put her thinking cap on and found a recipe using apple jelly. It didn’t work as the recipe had prescribed, so she went to work and two jars later had a successful lazy Pepper Jelly that is super fast, inexpensive, and easy. Himself was in charge of naming this jelly. Pretty good huh? He also knows that his wife is always in a hurry.

Hurry Up Pepper Jelly
18 ounce jar apple jelly
1/2 red pepper sliced
1-2 heaping tablespoons chopped jalapeno peppers, RS used jarred, gasp!
1 drop red food color, optional but nice

Place all ingredients in a medium sized pot and over medium heat bring to a simmer. Once it begins to simmer set your kitchen timer for ten minutes, allow to simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from heat, using tongs pull out the red pepper strips and pour jelly back into apple jelly jar. Place lid back on and refrigerate. Once cool, pour over cream cheese or use it as a dip for tortilla chips.

Note- Do not simmer longer than 10 minutes or you will have a jar of solid goo, yes, you can trust me on this one. The jar of hot jelly may seal, but because you are NOT using a sterile jar, this is NOT canning! You must refrigerate jelly and use within 10 days. If you want to can this, then you will have to use a sterile jar and lid. OK?

Other than pouring this over a brick of cream cheese, you may also like…
Pepper Jelly Ham

Have you missed the previous Advent Days? Click here and scroll through.

Come back tomorrow for Advent Day 7.

1. oneordinaryday
    Posted December 6, 2010 at 9:05 AM | Permalink

hehe
    You're kind of freaking me out by referring to yourself in the third person for the whole post. LOL
    My mom would love this, so I'll bookmark to try it out on her.

On another note, I made your garlic ranch pretzels and linked back to you. They're awesome!

2. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted December 6, 2010 at 12:18 PM | Permalink

I love Pepper Jelly, I have never made it but looks like I could pull it off. What a wonderful thing to make quick before a gathering or bring as a gift/ dish to someone. BTW- loving your Advent countdown!

3. Mimi
    Posted December 6, 2010 at 12:23 PM | Permalink

I like the way you think! shortcuts are always welcome in my kitchen.
    Mimi

4. Anonymous
    Posted December 6, 2010 at 2:21 PM | Permalink

It's easier buying Harry & David's and now the grocery store is carrying it. The brand is Reece. How easy and lazy is that? Ma

5. tamilyn
    Posted December 6, 2010 at 3:37 PM | Permalink

What a great gift idea! On a tag with the ideas how use-great Robin Sue 🙂

Posted December 6, 2010 at 4:34 PM | Permalink

Ma, you gettin lazy on me?

7. pigpigscorner
    Posted December 7, 2010 at 6:18 AM | Permalink

I'm lazy too =P I've never seen pepper jelly, I might have to make some myself too!

8. grace
    Posted December 8, 2010 at 6:52 AM | Permalink

the facts are these:
    -pepper jelly is my favorite jelly.
    -i'm a lazy bum.
    -you are now one of my favorite people in all the land. 🙂

9. Jane
    Posted February 26, 2011 at 8:21 PM | Permalink

I had a hankering for cream chees & pepper jelly over townhouse crackers last night. Alas, I coiuld not find a single brand offered at my grocery store hereb in NH. Then I remembered this post! It worked great & my family loved it. Thanks Robin Sue!