Advent Day 8: Eggnog Muffins

I created this recipe after seeing Ice Cream Bread on I figured if one could make that bread using ice cream, then why not use eggnog in place of ice cream- it’s eggs, sugar, and milk too. These little muffins are a breeze to make and a serendipitous discovery as well. Have you ever had a French Cruller? Well, let’s just say this is Muffin meets French Cruller. The texture is fantastic and the flavor is clearly Eggnog. The Eggnog Icing is a must so that you are set for an easy and delectable muffin with your morning coffee or afternoon tea. Simple for the little ones to join in and make too.

Eggnog Muffins
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour**
2 cups regular eggnog, not lite or lowfat

In a large liquid measuring cup, measure 2 cups eggnog. Add flour and whisk until well blended. Pour evenly into a well greased regular muffin tin. Bake in 350 degree oven for 12-13 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Drizzle with Eggnog Icing. Makes 12 muffins.

Eggnog Icing
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 1/2 tsp. eggnog
fresh ground nutmeg for sprinkling, optional

Mix well. Will be thick. Drizzle over muffins. Sprinkle each with a little nutmeg if desired.

**If you do not have self-rising flour, for every one cup of all purpose flour add 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder and 1/2 tsp. salt. Whisk well.

Note- I made the first batch of muffins in cupcake liners and felt they were a bit difficult to release from the paper. I suggest you bake these directly in a well greased muffin tin. After removing from oven, run a knife around each muffin to remove from pan.

Can also be baked up in one dozen greased, 4 ounce jelly Mason Jars in 18 minutes! To go made nice.

Come back tomorrow for Day 9.

1. Anonymous
    Posted December 8, 2010 at 11:03 AM | Permalink

Okay, dilemma on what treat to bring to our daughter's piano recital has been solved! This recipe is simple and seasonal! Thanks!

2. Janel
    Posted December 8, 2010 at 11:04 AM | Permalink

You can't get any easier than this! I'm off to buy some eggnog . . .

3. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted December 8, 2010 at 11:48 AM | Permalink

Thanks for the tip on self-rising flour. I have always wondered if it really worked well. Muffins look delish!

4. Kristen
    Posted December 8, 2010 at 12:35 PM | Permalink

Oh wow – is that it? Eggnog and Flour! So simple and yummy!
    Hope you are having a happy holiday season!

5. oneordinaryday
    Posted December 8, 2010 at 3:37 PM | Permalink

I'm wishing I liked egg nog, because this texture sounds really interesting. Have you seen the pumpkin flavored egg nogs that are in the stores now?

6. tamilyn
    Posted December 8, 2010 at 7:21 PM | Permalink

I have never tried eggnog, mainly since I don't like ice cream-knowing the same ingredients are prominent in both. Love milk, hate ice cream. I may have to pick up a small carton to try these tho…

7. Ingrid
    Posted December 14, 2010 at 9:54 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue, we're friends, right?! Because we're friends I'm willing to be a guinea pig. I think you should mail me some of these muffins to see how well they travel. You need to send me atleast three separate batches so I can tell you for sure if they do or do not travel well.

8. Anonymous
    Posted November 8, 2011 at 12:16 AM | Permalink

Can someone tell me what I did wrong? Flavor is great, but muffin is more like an overcooked custard. Made a second batch and same thing. Will they be different after they cool?

Posted November 8, 2011 at 10:22 AM | Permalink

Anon- When I heard you were having trouble I quickly made another batch of these this morning- yes I actually had eggnog in the fridge! I think you are not cooking them long enough- be sure to bake until the toothpick comes out clean. I did mine in 4 ounce mason jars this morning and they took 18 minutes, since it was glass. They cooked much quicker in the paper liners but stuck to them, so best to bake in greased muffin tins or in jars as I just did! Best wishes- happy baking!

10. Laura
    Posted August 31, 2012 at 7:16 PM | Permalink

Why can’t you use the light version of eggnog?

• Robin Sue
      Posted August 31, 2012 at 9:31 PM | Permalink

I have only tested this with the full fat eggnog so I am not sure how well the lower fat ones would do. It could be worth a try, but only make half the recipe in case they bomb.

11. Jay Behr
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 4:02 AM | Permalink

These sound amazing, BUT I am on a gluten free diet. Any chance you’ve tried oat flour, almond flour, etc.? Would these flours “rise” to the occasion with the additives stated in the recipe to create self-rising flour? Thanks for your time, and recipe. If worse comes to worse, I can make them for the family and just vicariously enjoy them through their appreciative moans of pleasure!

• Robin Sue
      Posted October 29, 2012 at 12:04 PM | Permalink

I have not made these with the flours you have mentioned but my guess is oat flour might be nice. If you do try it always make a small amount just in case they go belly up. Enjoy!

12. Kyle Minaglia
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 4:53 PM | Permalink

When you bake them in the jar do you just place the jar on the rack?

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM | Permalink

You can place them on a jelly roll pan. Makes it a bit easier. Enjoy!

13. Tina
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM | Permalink

Everyone’s talking about how great the recipe LOOKS, but has anyone other than Anon actually tried it.

I could tell right away from the photo that this recipe is going to make the muffins very dense and over-moist–like Anon’s came out….I’ve suffered this problem with a recipe for Mug Cakes that I found online and it took several tries to fix.

I haven’t actually tried this recipe, but to fix the denseness I suggest adding LESS eggnog, and a bit more flour and just a little Baking powder…..The liquid makes the cake dense, the flour makes it fluffy and the baking powder, or soda, makes it light and airy.

14. Gina
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 9:50 PM | Permalink

I just made these to bring in as a treat for my co-workers tomorrow. They are gonna looooove me! I love egg nog and I *really* love French Crullers, so this recipe intrigued me. The comparison to the texture of a cruller is right on the money. They aren’t as sweet as I expected, so I’m grateful for the addition of the icing. My oven tends to run a bit cool, so I just baked ’em a bit longer until my toothpick came out clean.

SO simple. SO delicious. Can’t wait to share these and I’ll definitely make them again and again!

15. Shawna
    Posted November 17, 2012 at 12:25 PM | Permalink

These are wonderful. I literally just finished making them and eating one. They aren’t very sweet, as Gina said, but the icing is good and provides good balance. I used paper cups, and they do stick to them, but they cook in the time specified. They came out moist and fluffy, slightly dense, but not overly moist as Anon’s came out. For me, they came out perfect. I am definitely going to make them again.

16. Mel
    Posted November 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM | Permalink

I made these this weekend and I found parchment paper cups which work perfectly and they don’t stick to them. I did have to cook them about 5 min longer than the suggested time but oh my, they are delicious!!

Thanks for sharing!

17. Elly
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 6:21 PM | Permalink

I just made a batch of nine earlier. The muffins taste more like flour than eggnog, and the frosting is just pure sweetness. The nutmeg added an unusual but not unpleasant touch.
    I was intrigued when I found a home-bake recipe that had ingredients that didn’t require a bunch of special shopping. This recipe calls for further, personal experimentation, perhaps with nuts and cinnamon.

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 26, 2012 at 8:19 AM | Permalink

Thanks Elly- I did notice that different eggnogs changed things for me too. Really good full fat eggnogs did best for me. Fun to experiment!!

18. Nicky
    Posted December 2, 2012 at 10:32 PM | Permalink

Just made these tonight! Turned out fantastic! Great texture and just the right amount of sweet. Though I didn’t have powdered sugar on hand so I just mixed regular sugar with eggnog till I got a nice glaze like consistency.
    Thanks Robin Sue for this recipe which after eating my boyfriend exclaimed “FINALLY! You made something off a blog that was worth eating!” Can’t wait to try some more of your recipes 🙂

19. Katie M
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 5:14 PM | Permalink

Ugh mine has been in the oven for 25 minutes and its not done yet. I put some foil over the top because they are browning.

20. Lisa
    Posted December 18, 2012 at 4:06 PM | Permalink

Just made a batch. It came out delicious but not as eggnoggy as i had hoped.
    Does anyone have suggestions on brands they used? I used lucerne. Thanks!!

21. Shellie
    Posted December 21, 2012 at 8:27 PM | Permalink

These haven’t worked for me at all. I think that the Aussie version of eggnog might be a lot blander and have a lot less sugar than USA type. They came out doughy and needed 40 minutes to cook. I kept putting them back in for five minutes more. Maybe my nog to flour ratio was off.

I ended up pouring hot cinnamon glaze on them to add some flavour.

22. Kat
    Posted December 23, 2012 at 7:40 PM | Permalink

Made these this evening and they were great! Needed maybe 5 extra minutes in the oven compared to the recipe, but I put them in the pan with no liners so maybe that made a difference. Interesting texture that I really liked, not too dense or moist, really good. Kind of springy (I don’t know how to describe them haha). The icing was a bit too thick, I might do 3 tsp next time instead of 2.5 (and yes there will be a next time, these were good!). These didn’t have a very strong eggnog taste, which surprised me, but I liked it. I think eggnog is too strong anyway, so these were perfect.

23. Sara
    Posted December 31, 2012 at 1:14 AM | Permalink

Hmm, great texture and baked up perfectly, but I too found these to be lacking in flavor. I even added some nutmeg to the batter. I might try using this batter as pancakes and use a thinner version of the icing for syrup!

2 Trackbacks

1. […] want to be eating these this winter. […]

2. […] this much closer to Moon Pies. 5. Not gonna lie, I about lost my mind when seeing this recipe for TWO INGREDIENT Eggnog Muffins. TWO. Big love for this brand of easy cooking. 6. Penny Pincher Fashion has her Winter Survival Kit […]