Advent Day 9: Skillet Cookies

Another no-bake cookie for when you need a quick treat during this crazy, busy time of year. A delicious crunchy, nutty, gooey cookie rolled in dessicated coconut making it appear as a snowball. These look wonderful on a Christmas cookie tray. This recipe comes from my MIL and she wrote on the card “One of D*n’s Favorites.” So I asked Himself if that was him or his brother Don, we could not make out if it was an “o” or an “a.” So Himself said, “Make them and see if I can remember.” That guy is always up for a sweet treat! Well I don’t care who it was written on the card because the name is now “Robin Sue!”

Skillet Cookies- adapted from Mary Lou
1 stick salted butter
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup chopped dates
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups crispy rice cereal
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup dessicated coconut

In a skillet over medium heat add butter, sugar, and dates. Stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes together and starts to simmer, simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla, cereal, and nuts. Mix well and roll into one inch balls rolling each in coconut as you continue until all of the mixture is used. Makes about 2 dozen.

Note- 2 of my readers came back and said there was trouble with rolling the cookies. I made them again and for some reason had trouble as well even though the first time I did not. So if you are having trouble here is what to do. Roll cookies while they are still hot, as long as you can tolerate it, if not pour small amounts onto parchment paper to cool a few seconds then roll. To roll grab a small hand full and squeeze into a ball as if you were making a fist- be sure you hands are greased. They will be football shaped at first, but let rest while rolling the rest of the mixture. Then go back and press each cookie into a nice ball then roll in coconut. Also when cooking the butter, sugar and dates be sure the mixture comes together well. At first the gee of the butter will separate but it will come together then start simmering. At this point simmer for the 2 whole minutes. I also used whole dates in which I diced myself, so they we good and sticky. While cooking I did stir and press the dates using the back side of a spatula, this made them even stickier. The first day I made the cookies it was humid, no problem, the second time, it was cold and dry, so weather may affect this recipe. All in all if you still have trouble, press into and 8×8 inch dish and cover with coconut and slice into squares or bars- still delicious, and very much like a granola bar but crispier!!

Come back tomorrow for Day 10.

1. Coconut
    Posted December 9, 2010 at 7:26 AM | Permalink

Oh boy! Another yummy, easy to make treat.

Thanks, Robin Sue.

2. Anonymous
    Posted December 9, 2010 at 10:09 AM | Permalink

This was always on the cookie tray at our house growing up. I remember, though, that my mother used cornflakes as well as rice krispies. Thanks for the reminder!
    Melaka

3. vanillasugar
    Posted December 9, 2010 at 9:32 PM | Permalink

quick, easy and clever! love this sue.

4. grace
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 1:46 PM | Permalink

excellent. this is clearly a pretty special recipe, robin sue–i like the ingredients and the method.

5. Ingrid
    Posted December 14, 2010 at 9:33 PM | Permalink

This is a pretty cool cookie recipe. One that even a non cookie baking lover just might love!
    ~ingrid

6. Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes]
    Posted December 15, 2010 at 4:29 PM | Permalink

This looks soo simple, and yet so delicious! Yum! I think it's going to get a new name soon 🙂

7. Anonymous
    Posted December 17, 2010 at 12:04 AM | Permalink

I made these today and they are DIVINE! But….I could only get about 4 of them to stick together in a ball (and I really had to work at it). Any suggestions for what I might be able to do to salvage them? Did I do something wrong?
    Any help would be much appreciated! In the meantime, I will totally be eating the mixture with a spoon! Yum!

Posted December 17, 2010 at 12:18 AM | Permalink

Anon- eeks! That is too bad. When you first start to heat it all together the butter will melt and seem to separate, keep stirring until the mixture comes together, at this point it will start to simmer. Let it simmer real good for the 2 minutes. I worked quickly and rolled mine into balls using a firm pressure. What you have now is a good ice cream topping! Oh and make sure your nuts are chopped. I had a few bigger pieces and they were wanting to fall out. I will make these again to see if I can improve on the instructions in some way. Thanks for getting back to me.

9. Carrie
    Posted December 17, 2010 at 12:24 AM | Permalink

I made these this evening, and had the same problem-they just wouldn't roll into balls, even though I followed the recipe exactly! No problem, I just pressed the mixture into a baking pan, topped the whole shebang with coconut, and cut into squares. They taste and look fine!

10. Sophie
    Posted December 18, 2010 at 5:31 AM | Permalink

Waw, Robin Sue! These tasty & pretty balls cookies look so easy to make but yet they look stunning inside & out!

Great asdelectqble food gifts8