15 Minute Pierogi Soup

Do you remember my Kung Fu Panda Soup I made last year? I have served the Kung Fu Soup many times and guess what? I have one child that has decided that he does not like Potstickers anymore. Nice. Just when I think, “Good, I finally have something that ALL three kids like,” one changes his mind. Drives me nuts really. So it came to me that that certain child does like pierogi and as far I can remember the other two like them too. So I am creating this soup all over again with pierogi. A very simple soup that can be jazzed up with a dollop of sour cream, grated cheese, and bacon or served simply as is. Or try slicing kielbasa into it for a more complete meal, need vegetables? Add a bag of shredded cabbage and simmer for about 10 minutes. Either way it does make for a nice wintertime soup.

Pierogi Soup
2 pounds potato and onion frozen pierogi, I used Mrs. T’s
3 T. butter
1/3 cup water
3 green onions, sliced, green parts only
6 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

Optional toppings:
crumbled cooked bacon
sour cream
grated cheddar cheese

In a large skillet with fitted lid, place pierogi, water and butter. Place lid on top and cook over med-high heat until pierogi are steamed through. Remove lid and let the water cook off. Turning pierogi often let them fry in the remaining butter until golden and crispy. Add broth and onion slices. Heat through until hot. Ladle into bowls and serve immediately with suggested toppings. Serves 6.

CAUTION: This is very comforting soup.

If you’ve missed it, here’s my news.

1. highplainsdrifters
    Posted January 14, 2011 at 9:15 AM | Permalink

//So it came to me that that certain child does like pierogi and as far I can remember the other two like them too. //

Not sure how you feel about country music. I absolutely hated it until I moved to Nashville, where I realized that there's real country music and then there's the fake stuff that gets on the radio.

Anyway, one of the amazing things about the best country songs is how they can tell a whole story in one or two lines. Like the Whiskeytown song about finding Mom's love letters from the guy she went out with before she met you dad: I found them in the northwest corner of the attic in a box labeled "tinsel and lights." You instantly know the whole story with that quick introduction. Or Steve Earle's Someday: "I work at the fillin' station on the interstate
    Pumpin' gasoline and countin' out of state plates." What's that kid going to do, first chance he gets? Doesn't need any further explanation.

Anyway (scary when I have to use "anyway" twice in one quick post), that one sentence about your kids is one of those perfect sentences. You put a whole country song in less than 25 words, and you summed up the parenting experience in one quick vignette.

Totally made my day.

Cheers!

2. Big Dude
    Posted January 14, 2011 at 11:13 AM | Permalink

Everytime I see pierogi's on TV, I wish I had a Slavic grandmother living next door who made them once a week. Never thought about getting them frozen. I'll have to buy a batch and try them in the soup and some other ways.

3. Sabrina
    Posted January 14, 2011 at 11:40 AM | Permalink

I will definitely be giving this a try. We have had the kung fu panda soup on a regular basis as well. But mostly because I love it.

4. oneordinaryday
    Posted January 14, 2011 at 2:07 PM | Permalink

I'm just in awe of how you take things I look at on a regular basis and turn them into something wonderful, like this soup. I love pierogi and never entertained the thought of turning it into soup. Love it.

Oh, I wish I did live close enough to go to your classes! Alas, not quite that close. 🙁

5. tamilyn
    Posted January 15, 2011 at 1:52 AM | Permalink

Oh sugar-I almost bought some tonight at the store! I'll have to go back so I can make this!

6. FOODalogue
    Posted January 16, 2011 at 9:41 AM | Permalink

No need for the warning…it was clear to me from the start that this was a very comforting dish. Keep your sense of humor…that's the only way to survive raising children!!

7. grace
    Posted January 17, 2011 at 2:35 AM | Permalink

haHA–i like the disclaimer! heaven forbid one become too comforted! 🙂

8. Ingrid
    Posted January 18, 2011 at 3:00 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue, my daughter does that to me ALL the time! This week she'll love something but then a few weeks later I make it again she'll turn up her nose and say "My taste buds have changed, Mama." (I'm mama when she's trying to schmooze me.) The twins will look at her like she's crazy, which in turn causes an argument. This is where it can get ugly. 🙁 lol

Ok, back to the soup…They all enjoy it. She likes pierogies and not potstickers so this is a winner.
    ~ingrid

9. sophiesfoodiefiles
    Posted January 19, 2011 at 9:00 AM | Permalink

Waw!! Your peirogi soup looks tremendously tasty!!

Waw!! Indeed, a grand comfort soup!

MMMMM,…

10. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 1:31 PM | Permalink

It is so cold that I have been making soup after soup. This one sounds good and great for busy weeknights like tonight 🙂

11. something good
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 4:17 PM | Permalink

what a nice idea! and if you convince your kids to eat, that's a really winning soup!

12. Lil Sis Boombah
    Posted January 28, 2011 at 1:07 PM | Permalink

Ok, I live in Arkansas and we are having a "souper bowl" contest at work next week. Hubby is a Pittsburgh fan so I was thinking something to do with peiorgi…I'm sure there will be plenty of cheese soup on hand already! And I've always associated peiorgi with Pittsburgh. Don't know if this will qualify as a Pittsburgh recipe, but no one around here will know the difference anyway! I'm going to give it a try and will post your URL on the name card unless you object. Sounds wonderful.

Posted January 28, 2011 at 2:29 PM | Permalink

Lil sis- sounds like a fun time!! Enjoy the soup!

14. Anonymous
    Posted November 27, 2011 at 2:49 AM | Permalink

My grandma used to make me pierogi soup whenever I came over. Very simple – just chicken broth, a little yellow onion and some spinach. It was my absolute favorite, and now that I am grown and she is gone, I make it for myself whenever I need some Grandma-caliber comfort. FYI, if anyone is on a diet, the pierogis don't need to be sauteed/fried in butter – my grandma put them straight into the soup.

One Trackback

1. By 20 Simple and Easy Pierogy Recipes | Dallas Socials on November 10, 2014 at 11:39 AM

[…] 15 minute Pierogy Soup […]