A Rescue Me Recipe: Petite Pies

There she goes again with those stinkin’ Fillo Shells. Well they have been with me through thick and thin. I guess you could say these are my favorite small-bite rescue for Big Red Kitchen. As I take Big Red Kitchen to Market and work as a science and PE teacher, all the rest of my time is limited and precious. So for those of you who work 40 plus hours a week too, here is a great rescue.

Mini Fillo Shells may I introduce you to Stouffer’s.

I do enjoy and feel a great sense of accomplishment when I make something completely from scratch, but there are times when energy is low, time is short, and shortcuts have to be taken. Are you nodding? I hope you find this idea to be a helpful shortcut.

Petite Pies
2 boxes Fillo Mini Shells, 30 total mini shells
9 ounce box Stouffer’s Creamed Spinach
12 ounce box Stouffer’s Harvest Apples
ground cinnamon
fresh ground nutmeg

Heat both packages of Stouffer’s according to package directions. I used the microwave. While they are heating, place mini fillo shells on a platter. Spoon hot toppings into the shells using a tiny spoon, it is easier to pour the spinach in a bowl first. There will be enough of each filling to fill 15 shells each. Sprinkle the creamed spinach with fresh ground nutmeg and the apple pies with cinnamon. Serve immediately. Makes 30 Petite Pies.

Note- I *did* grate my own nutmeg, that must count for something. Right?

Oh and no worries, the next food post will be homemade, no more of this semi stuff. At least for a little while.

1. oneordinaryday
    Posted January 17, 2011 at 8:44 AM | Permalink

You're too much. I love how you think outside the box. 🙂
    And way to go with that grating, Robin!

2. Mary at Deep South Dish
    Posted January 17, 2011 at 10:02 AM | Permalink

I do a lot of scratch cooking too but I am all about shortcuts on occasion that's for sure! I love the fillo shells too. Hope you have a beautiful week!

3. Janie
    Posted January 17, 2011 at 10:13 AM | Permalink

What a good idea….there is nothing wrong with having some things in the pantry and freezer to make a very nice and quick dinner when you
    1-don't have time
    2 don't feel well
    3 you're busy doing something better!! haha!

Good job…I am adding mini pastry shells to my grocery list. (I was just looking at them too!)

4. Penny
    Posted January 17, 2011 at 11:08 AM | Permalink

Hey, I like those spinach shells for appetizers at a party. Good luck with the Big Red Kitchen at the Market. Im rooting for you.

5. highplainsdrifters
    Posted January 17, 2011 at 12:46 PM | Permalink

okay … need more coffee … because when i read it the first time, thought the spinach and apples went into the same pie!!

6. highplainsdrifters
    Posted January 17, 2011 at 12:48 PM | Permalink

okay … need more coffee … because when i read this the first time, i thought the spinach and apples went in the same shell!!

7. Sabrina
    Posted January 17, 2011 at 2:10 PM | Permalink

I thought the same thing as Penny. Those would be great for a party. I love these quick and easy ideas you come up with Robin. Your creativity blesses many.

8. Karen
    Posted January 17, 2011 at 3:43 PM | Permalink

Great way to serve the creamed spinach. I think of all the frozen stuff, Stouffer's has the best quality.

Posted January 17, 2011 at 4:58 PM | Permalink

Thanks all. Shortcuts are a life saver!
    Karen I agree about Stouffer's having very good quality in a pinch, I can actually understand the ingredient list!

10. tamilyn
    Posted January 17, 2011 at 11:17 PM | Permalink

I'd rather take a short cut and spend more time with my family. That is what they remember 🙂

11. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 1:30 PM | Permalink

Great quick and lovely cheat!