Big Red Kitchen Goes to Market

There are two types of bloggers, I believe. The Expert Blogger who makes the bold statement, “I am a pro, follow along with me and you will learn something important.” And then there is the Journey Blogger who says, “Follow along with me as I learn this thing, make mistakes, and may even have a few successes.” Oh sure there are some of us in the middle of those two scenarios, closer to one than the other. I am closer to the Journey theme. I think you can see that here in my own blog, I make things, sometimes for the first time and then tell you about it. Some newbies may think I am the expert but when I compare myself to others I seem the beginner, it’s all relevant don’t you think?

Right now I am tilting deeper into the Journey side of things. I am on a new adventure and would like you all to follow along with me. It will be fun, funny, frustrating, stressful, wonderful, and a bit scary at times. I have mornings when I wake up and say, “What have I done?” Then some days where I am over the moon with excitement and more fresh ideas.

So what is this thing Robin Sue has gotten herself into…

Big Red Kitchen Cooking Salon goes to Market. The Reston Farmer’s Market at Lake Anne here in Virginia that is. I will be one of the vendors during the Saturday Market offering Cooking Salons to my “Distinguished Guests.” Essentially teaching cooking classes right there, in the market, during market hours! Isn’t that the coolest thing ever!

Right now I am trying to overcome one major obstacle: power. Power as in electricity. Most business minded people have asked me, “Do you have students yet?”
“No,” I say, “and they are not students, they are my Distinguished Guests.” I have the “build it, they will come” mentality, if I put up a tent the Distinguished Guests will come. But no power equals no Salon. The power has been promised but I need to know how far it is, how many outlets, and can the power handle three appliances? Oh, and if it is exclusively mine, mine, and all mine. I would hate to have to fight off (with a spatula) the little old lady selling plastic canvas tissue holders who insists on plugging in her fan when temps reach 98 degrees. See what I mean?

There are so many details to iron out between now and May 7th, but I have surrounded myself with very bright business people, creative people, friends and family, and the energy has been fantastic.

I will share my Journey here as it unfolds and keep you all posted about the ups and downs- hopefully not many downs- of this new adventure.

Are you in?

See up there on my Nav Bar where it says Subscribe/Newsletter? Go on and sign up so that you will not miss any parts of the Journey. Everyone hates when they miss they latest gossip, I mean, news.

Did I get the power? Here is the update.

1. EAT!
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 8:34 AM | Permalink

Good luck Robin Sue. What an adventure you are embarking on and I hope it is all that you envision and more!!

2. High Plains Drifters
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 8:35 AM | Permalink

Life's a journey, so nothing wrong with leaning in that direction.

Personally, I subscribe to the "nobody knows nothing" philosophy. Too many examples of the experts being wrong … and a lot … to put too much faith in anything save for faith itself.

Food especially. I can't think of anyone out there who hasn't admitted, intentionally or not, that he or she had never heard of such-and-such until recently.

Good luck with the farmer's market!

3. KAREN
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 9:33 AM | Permalink

How exciting…good luck! When we travel we always try to visit that area's farmers markets. So if we are ever out your way we will definitely look for your booth.

4. vanillasugar
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 11:00 AM | Permalink

yes good luck. and good concept too btw.
    i thought about getting into that but i alas have no 'big red kitchen' i have a 'small pink kitchen' (pink is not my color it can with the house lol)

5. Alison
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 11:09 AM | Permalink

I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! This is going to be great. And I can wield a mean spatula, so if you need help fending off those old biddies, I am so there!

6. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 12:06 PM | Permalink

Yeaahhhh! Great idea, you will do great. You will build it and they will come along with a lot of power, I am in agreement with you on that 🙂 Fabulous journey and if you weren't scared you would be too "pro" as you call it and therefore would not be humble in your journey, sending off the wrong vibe to your Distinguished Guests. Even pros are not perfect. If I am ever in VA (btw- I used to live in Dale City) I will find it and be a guest. I too have been pondering Community Education classes but for my diet blog and health/ nutrition. I wish you all the favor through this process.

7. Sabrina
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 12:27 PM | Permalink

Congratulations! And good for you being brave to try something new. I hope the cooking salon is wildly successful.

8. Fallon
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 12:49 PM | Permalink

How exciting and sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck and can't wait to read up on your adventures.

9. oneordinaryday
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 12:54 PM | Permalink

Yea for you, Robin! That's so exciting and I wish you the best of luck!!!

10. maggie repp
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 1:45 PM | Permalink

"Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and
    some have greatness thrust upon 'em." (Shakespeare, Twelfth Night). I just know this is going to be great. Good luck.

11. Natalie
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 1:46 PM | Permalink

Congratulations! What a great opportunity! Can't wait to follow you on this journey 🙂

12. Biz
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 3:01 PM | Permalink

I am so excited for you!! Now only if I lived in Virginia I could be one of your distinguished guests.

I will tell all my Virginia relatives though!

Are you going to be selling those t-shirts? If so, I want one!

13. Karen
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 3:10 PM | Permalink

That will be so much fun! Can't wait to see the end result of your dreams 🙂

14. Sandy @ RE
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 6:08 PM | Permalink

Proud of U!!!

15. Anonymous
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 8:16 PM | Permalink

What a neat idea! Best of Luck!

16. FOODalogue
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 10:01 PM | Permalink

Sounds like a lot of fun and I'm sure you'll ace it! I'm in for the journey.

17. Coconut
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 4:02 AM | Permalink

Good for you, Robin Sue, and congratulations.

I wish you nothing but the best of luck, and I'm sure that it will be a fantastic adventure.

Love the design on the tee shirts. Very classy, elegant, yet simple.

Don't fret over those scary moments. They will come, and then they will go.

You know the old saying:

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." Lao Tzu

You're on your way, and so enjoy the trip, because it's more about the journey than it is about the destination.

18. Mimi
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 1:02 PM | Permalink

Congratulations on your new venture. Wishing you every success.
    Mimi

Posted January 12, 2011 at 8:59 PM | Permalink

Thank you everyone for your encouragement! I am happy to have so many friends in my corner! If you are in the area, I would love to see you on market day!

20. Ingrid
    Posted January 13, 2011 at 12:49 AM | Permalink

YAY for Robin Sue & BRK! Congrats….I'm certain all will be well.
    ~ingrid

Btw, how is that book coming along? ha-ha, I'm just messin' with ya! 🙂

21. A Year on the Grill
    Posted January 14, 2011 at 10:46 AM | Permalink

Now this is exciting indeed!!!

If it's not too personal, how are you making money??? Are you charging for future lessons, so this is a showman's setup, do you have product to sell, is the market paying for the attraction?

I am intrigued, and will be following this story

We make our own luck, it usually comes to the best prepared and hardest workers. So, won't wish you luck, but will think very good thoughts for you.

Posted January 14, 2011 at 1:37 PM | Permalink

A year on the Grill-
    Hi Dave…
    *If it's not too personal, how are you making money???*
    I hope to make some! There will be some business expenses in this first year as I set up the business but think it will be great fun and quite the learning experience.

*Are you charging for future lessons*
    I will have folks sign up and pay for the classes, they show up to the market, plop down in my tent and watch me cook up fresh produce from the market.

*so this is a showman's setup*
    I do a great ET impersonation. The market folks believe this will attract alot of folks standing around watching the class as well. I hope to generate a bit of energy for people to want to cook some fresh foods and have a good time too.

*Do you have product to sell, is the market paying for the attraction?*
    What's a cooking salon without stuff? I will create a few tshirts, people seem to want them. I also make Serving Boards for antipasti, Brotzeit, and small meals that I may place out. But mostly there to teach. I rent my space in the market to hold my class. But we are all helping eachother but promoting eachothers produce and products. It is a great little market

Thanks!

23. Kelly
    Posted January 17, 2011 at 11:15 AM | Permalink

This is so exciting! I keep toying with the idea of getting a booth at the farmers market – not to teach but just to sell. I'm not sure I have the time in my current situation… but I'm hoping to change that too!

Best of luck to you. I can't wait to read all about your progress and adventures!

24. Lori
    Posted January 18, 2011 at 9:55 AM | Permalink

I read your current post and had to backtrack to figure out what you were up to. How very exciting. If I lived in Virginia I would so want to come and watch. The very best to you!