Dulce de Leche Filled Banana Cupcakes with Browned Butter Cream Cheese Frosting

Have you ever heard Chris Young’s song “Voices?” It’s a country song about a guy that hears voices all the time, not wack-a-do voices like he’s crazy or anything, voices from all the important people in his life that remind him of who he is and where he came from. I have voices like that too. One that really stands out is my Ma’s. Like last Friday morning when I was informed at the last minute that my son needed to bring a cake for a charity auction that very evening. I ruffled through my stacks of dessert recipes, pulled out my laptop and scrolled through my bookmarks, and fantasized about what to bake. But then I heard Ma’s voice in my head saying, “Robin, go with what you know.” Thanks Ma. I did. I am coming to realize my Banana Cake is one of my specialties, especially when filled with Dulce de Leche and topped with Browned Butter Cream Cheese Frosting.

Look at those browned butter bits in there.

I started by baking my banana cupcakes and once baked and while still warm, I cut out a small cone from the top of each cupcake. I filled each well with 1 teaspoon Dulce de Leche, I like to use a baby spoon to do this, then popped the tops back on and pressed down so they would stay in place.

Using my super large 1M decorating star tip, I piped roses on to each cupcake and topped them with a Goetze’s Candy which makes a very cute ornament.

To make a rose, place your decorator tip in the center of the cupcake and circle outward three times. Be sure to use firm and even pressure, do not be stingy with the frosting. Practice on waxed paper if you must, you can always mix that practice frosting back into the bowl.

To make a bakery swirl, place your tip at the outer edge of the cupcake and swirl inward three times making a lovely star at the center. Kelly of Something Shiny shows the two different looks very nicely on her Tiffany Inspired Cupcakes– look at the 6th photo from the top.

I took three 8×8 inch bakery boxes and placed 4 cupcakes in each, stacked them one on top of the other for a very impressive TOWER-O-CUPCAKES. So that the cupcakes could be seen through the top box, I cut a heart shape out of it and taped a piece of cellophane on the inside of the heart shaped cut out.

I tied the boxes together using butcher string and affixed my label.

Let the bidding begin!

Banana Cupcakes
1/2 cup butter , softened
2 cups flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. soda
2 eggs
1 t. salt
1/2 t. nutmeg
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1/4 cup milk
1 t vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional- I did not add this time

Mix all ingredients on high speed in mixer for 2 minutes. Divide between 12 standard cupcake liners placed in a standard muffin tin and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Once baked and while still warm, I cut out a small cone from the top of each cupcake. I filled each well with 1 teaspoon Dulce de Leche, I like to use a baby spoon to do this, then popped the tops back on and pressed down so they would stay in place.Makes 12 cupcakes.

Dulce de Leche– One way to make dulce de leche is by taking a can of sweetened condensed milk and boiling it for a few hours by first removing its label and placing the can on its side in a large pot. Cover with water, about an inch over the can and cover pot. Bring to a boil then lower heat a bit and simmer for 4 hours. Be sure the can stays covered at all times with water. After 4 hours turn off heat and let the can cool. Mine did not explode and I even used a can with a pull-tab top. OR you can purchase canned Dulce de Leche, usually found in the Latin food isle of your grocery store or near the sweetened condensed milk.

Browned Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
8 oz. package cream cheese, room temperature
1 t. vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar

In a small saucepan, over medium heat, heat butter and salt until browned. In a large bowl place cream cheese and pour browned butter over top and beat on high speed for about 1 minute until mixture is light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time, mixing well between each addition until all the sugar is added and mixture is smooth. Makes about 5 cups frosting. You will have extra, this freezes well.

I use these Paper Ovenable Muffin Trays for all my cupcakes and muffins.

For more pretty roses, click over to i am baker for her beautiful Rose Cake. If you like pretty cakes, you may get lost in her site and never come out.

Happy Valentine’s Day!
Love is like powdered sugar, it gets all over the place.

1. Darcy@SomewhatMuddledMusings.
    Posted February 14, 2011 at 7:30 AM | Permalink

Oh goodness, you had me at dulce de leche….

2. Peter M
    Posted February 14, 2011 at 7:56 AM | Permalink

I'm sending you my address since you deliver! These look fab, have a wonderful Valentine's, R-Sue!

3. highplainsdrifters
    Posted February 14, 2011 at 9:37 AM | Permalink

grapefruit spoons also work well for cutting out holes in cup cakes or muffins. funny … i'm more likely to use a grapefruit spoon for that or for cleaning out the seeds of a jalepena than i am to eat a grapefruit with it!

4. Fallon
    Posted February 14, 2011 at 10:09 AM | Permalink

Those look wonderful!! Your banana cake looks quite dense but very moist. I'll take any extras 😉

5. A Year on the Grill
    Posted February 14, 2011 at 10:37 AM | Permalink

Oh my… if you deliver… $24 is my bid. I wish I had better piping skills. Yours are perfect!

6. Feast on the Cheap
    Posted February 14, 2011 at 11:40 AM | Permalink

Love the presentation!

7. Karen
    Posted February 14, 2011 at 12:15 PM | Permalink

These look so pretty. I love the recipe for the frosting… I'll have to give that a try!

8. oneordinaryday
    Posted February 14, 2011 at 4:41 PM | Permalink

A girl should always listen to her Ma, even when it's a voice only she can hear. 🙂 These look delicious and I've no doubt they raised some money at the auction.
    (Love the idea from HPD to use a grapefruit spoon to hollow out the cupcakes!)

9. FOODalogue
    Posted February 14, 2011 at 6:18 PM | Permalink

Wow…you are really branching out. Bakery boxes are tres cool as are the delicious looking cupcakes. You are totally awesome.

10. Natalie
    Posted February 15, 2011 at 1:47 PM | Permalink

what a cupcake! and so perfectly packaged! love!

11. Kelly
    Posted February 15, 2011 at 2:39 PM | Permalink

These sound and look SOOO good – really gorgeous. And THANK YOU for the shout out on the frosting techniques. 🙂 Easy, right?!

I can't wait to try them – going on my Saturday baking list! (I love me some browned butter!)

12. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted February 15, 2011 at 3:57 PM | Permalink

Oh funny, great minds do think a like. I made banana cupcakes last week too 🙂 I love your dulche de leche and browned butter additions. I swear browned butter makes everything better! I must try!

13. grace
    Posted February 16, 2011 at 2:44 AM | Permalink

i'm automatically on board anytime dulce de leche is involved, but your awesome frosting takes these above and beyond! i LOVE those bits of browned butter–bravo!

14. Lauren at KeepItSweet
    Posted February 16, 2011 at 7:46 AM | Permalink

So many delicious components to these cupcakes!!

15. Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes]
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 3:46 PM | Permalink

Dulce de leche AND browned butter! Did you just read my mind? Those cupcakes look awesome. Can't wait to try them!

16. Alyssa
    Posted April 24, 2012 at 1:14 PM | Permalink

These look delicious! I just had a couple of questions 🙂

1. In your ingredient list for the cupcakes, when you list “butter” is that salted or unsalted?

2. Also, in the same list…”soda” means, baking soda or drinking soda?

Thanks for your help!

• Robin Sue
      Posted April 24, 2012 at 1:15 PM | Permalink

Hi Alyssa
      Unsalted butter and baking soda. Hope you enjoy these!
      Happy Baking!
      Robin Sue

17. Kelly
    Posted May 20, 2012 at 10:14 AM | Permalink

I don’t see where it says what to do with the dulce de leche….am I missing something? Thanks! Am looking forward to trying these!

• Robin Sue
      Posted May 20, 2012 at 12:25 PM | Permalink

Hi Kelly the explanation is in the body of the post but I added it to the instructions too to make it more clear. Enjoy!

18. marlena feauto
    Posted June 7, 2012 at 7:53 PM | Permalink

Wow! sound great and plan on making them soon. What is the candy on top of your cup cake if I can ask?

• Robin Sue
      Posted June 8, 2012 at 12:21 AM | Permalink

They are Goetze’s Candies. Or caramel creams. Enjoy!

19. Jules
    Posted July 30, 2012 at 7:39 PM | Permalink

I just made these and they are FABULOUS! Thank you!

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 30, 2012 at 8:17 PM | Permalink

Thank you Jules, thrilled you liked these!

20. Sasha
    Posted August 31, 2012 at 9:54 PM | Permalink

Hi, I just made these for my lil girls firs b.day party. They were so light and fluffy. Thanks for sharing.

21. paula
    Posted September 4, 2012 at 4:53 PM | Permalink

Hi Just wondered what other kinds of cupcakes this would go well with- not a fan of banana breads-? chocolate? I love the dulca de leche

• Robin Sue
      Posted September 4, 2012 at 5:31 PM | Permalink

Paula any yellow cake, pumpkin, and I even have a burnt sugar cake on here that would be good. Enjoy!

22. Maran Pittman
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 9:12 PM | Permalink

I can’t wait to make them! 🙂

23. Bec
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 3:56 AM | Permalink

Can not wait to make these, my first visit to your site. Just wondering if t. stands for teaspoon and not Tablespoon, want to get my measurements rights. Thanks 🙂

• Robin Sue
      Posted October 29, 2012 at 12:05 PM | Permalink

Small t. is teaspoon and large T. is tablespoon. Give these a try they are very nice indeed!

2 Trackbacks

1. By 24 Dessert Recipes That You Mouth Will Love on August 8, 2012 at 11:00 PM

[…] 6.   Dulce de Leche Filled Banana Cupcake with Brown Butter Cream Cheese Frosting […]

2. By Epicurean Alphabet | The Magpies' Nest on September 26, 2012 at 3:48 AM