Giant Goetze’s Caramel Creams

I like to goof off in the kitchen and make the wacky things I dream up. It probably has to do with my brain never shutting off. I could stare into space for hours, and in that time I have accomplished everything from writing my next post, to what I am going to cook next, including grocery list and the play by play. I can even solve all the world’s problems and come up with that snarky answer I should have given that lady that insulted me. No rest in this head of mine.

I have always liked Goetze’s with that chewy caramel and the cool creamy center, such a great combination of texture and flavor. For giggles I made these giant, crispy, Caramel Creams. I like the added crunch from the rice cereal.

I made caramel rice crispy treats and pressed it into a 9×13 inch jelly-roll pan that had been lined with buttered parchment paper. Filled it with a double batch of butter cream, let it chill a bit and sliced the roll into 1/2 inch slices.

To wrap like a giant candy, cut the sealed end off cellophane bags, place a giant caramel cream in each and twist both ends shut with a twist tie.

It’s huge.

If you must eat one, do it over several days to reduce the risk of a gallbladder attack.

Giant Caramel Creams
For the caramel:
14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 stick butter
14 ounce bag caramels

Over a double-boiler heat milk, butter, and caramels until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in:

6 cups crispy rice cereal

Press into a 9×13 inch jellyroll pan that is lined with buttered parchment paper. Let cool. Meanwhile make the butter cream.

2 boxes powdered sugar
2 sticks butter
2 T. milk
2 t. vanilla

In a large mixing bowl beat together butter and sugar until smooth, slowly add milk and vanilla while mixing. Frosting will be stiff. Pour frosting out onto a long piece of plastic wrap and shape into a long tube by enclosing cream in wrap and rolling out to the length of the caramel crispy mixture. Place “tube” of cream in the center of the crispy mix and remove wrap. Using the parchment paper pull the edges of the rice crispy over the cream and sealing cream in the center. Be sure to pinch the edges together. Wrap the entire roll very tightly in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours or until it is set. Remove from wrap and using a sharp knife, slice, using a sawing action, into 1/2 inch slices. Wrap each slice and chill or freeze until ready to serve. Makes about 21 slices.

Are they good? Yeah if you like ridiculously sweet, crunchy, chewy, caramel, creamy treats. One would satisfy a few folks.

1. oneordinaryday
    Posted February 18, 2011 at 9:48 AM | Permalink

This has my mom written all over it. I thought of her as soon as I saw those candies you used as garnishes the other day. Now a GIANT caramel and cream treat? I love the way your mind works!

2. Fallon
    Posted February 18, 2011 at 10:06 AM | Permalink

I love those caramel candies. The middle is my favorite part.

3. A Joyful Chaos
    Posted February 18, 2011 at 12:58 PM | Permalink

It looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing.

4. Natalie
    Posted February 18, 2011 at 1:03 PM | Permalink

such a fun and unique dessert!

5. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted February 18, 2011 at 1:51 PM | Permalink

Wow, must say this is very very good. I would love to just make the rice krispie part and eat it out of the bowl while it is still warm.

6. webmailaddress2
    Posted February 18, 2011 at 6:15 PM | Permalink

How awesome! Looks delish!

7. Biz
    Posted February 18, 2011 at 6:36 PM | Permalink

I haven't had those candies in years – when my sister and I were little we used to wait at the bus stop corner for my mom to get off the bus from work.

There was a gas station on the corner and for .10 you could get 8 of those candies in a package, and we would each eat four while waiting.

While my sister just chewed and were done with hers, I would let it melt in the side of my cheek!

Thanks again for all your kind words and cards this week – it means a lot to me!

Hope you have a great time at Smith Mountain – lucky duck!

8. Miri Leigh
    Posted February 18, 2011 at 9:20 PM | Permalink

What a creative dessert recipe. My mouth is watering just looking at the photos!

9. Jersey Girl Cooks
    Posted February 19, 2011 at 12:39 AM | Permalink

I love those candies and this is making me crack up. I think I could eat a whole one!

10. A Year on the Grill
    Posted February 19, 2011 at 11:36 AM | Permalink

How amazing is this post!!!

Such a huge amount of buttercream! I think my ass has grown just reading this.

Well done in every way!

11. Lori
    Posted February 19, 2011 at 11:50 PM | Permalink

OMG! This looks so incredible.

12. grace
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 4:08 PM | Permalink

i think, no, i KNOW that this is one of the most magnificent things on the face of the earth. let's be honest–they're amped-up rice krispie treats topping with mounds of frosting in a fun shape! bravo, robin sue!!

13. Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes]
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 3:48 PM | Permalink

You're right, those are huge! But the bigger the better 🙂 RKT's with frosting. That's like perfect!