More in the Freezer: Cheeseburgers

In an effort to health up my family’s lunches, I am steering away from those frozen prepackaged sandwiches that saved me back in my busy December, to homemade frozen sandwiches, and so far so good. The Frozen Chicken Sandwich was a huge hit with my kids so I moved on to trying the Cheeseburger by simply increasing the size of my White Castle-like Sliders.

Start by sprinkling a large 11×17 inch pan with dried minced onions and pressing 2.5 pounds of ground beef over top. Sprinkle with season salt (I use Penzey’s) and bake in a 375 degree oven for 18 minutes.

Remove from oven and cut into 15 equal sized patties. Place onion side up on a cookie sheet and top each with a piece of cheese. Freeze for one hour.

Place each frozen cheeseburger on a bun and wrap in waxed paper and secure with a small piece of masking tape.

Place wrapped burgers back in the bun bag and toss in the freezer until your family is ready to pack them in their lunches. Microwave reheating times will vary, but mine took only about 45 seconds while still wrapped.

These sandwiches have made for very happy children and a relaxed Momma! Great for busy nights too.

Need more in your freezer?
Chicken Sandwiches
Lasagna Purses

Oh and if that rat Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow today, he may see my meat cleaver. Happy Groundhog Day!

1. Regina Burkett
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 9:16 AM | Permalink

We are already a fan of your White Castle-like sliders and I think you have rescued me again. My 15 yr old has been bugging me to pack him a lunch..can you believe it..and I was clueless as to what to pack other than a cold sandwich. Thank you!!!!

2. Sheila
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 9:20 AM | Permalink

Ha, I think you scared him and he's not even coming out!

Thanks so much for this. I have been going crazy over lunches. It's funny, I think I worry more about making something tasty then my kids think about having something other than pb&j. Though I know they certainly appreciate those different days.

3. Chez Debbie
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 10:06 AM | Permalink

LOL!!! Good thing for Phil, guess he reads your blog!
    I'm new to the BRK and love it. Found you while searching the web for bake sale ideas and was hooked!
    Love your whit and ideas. Keep em' coming!
    Btw, I was at Pamela's in PR 5 years ago. Glad you discovered that gem. PR is paradise.

4. Biz
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 11:32 AM | Permalink

Those look amazing Robin Sue! Such a great idea, of course, I'll leave out the onions!

Off to shovel – we got about 18 inches of snow last night! So sick of winter!

5. oneordinaryday
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 12:11 PM | Permalink

I loved your sliders the first time you posted about them, but this kicks me into gear. Sam will love being able to grab one from the freezer whenever he wants to. 🙂

6. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM | Permalink

Yum, I love these and so do my kids! I love thinking ahead and making busy night easy too.

7. Kelly
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 3:22 PM | Permalink

Love this! Patting the hamburger into the sheet pan is pure genius. I bow to your kitchen creativity.

Lucky for you and Phil that he didn't see his shadow, eh? 😉

8. the country cook
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 4:29 PM | Permalink

love it! These are some great ideas – can't wait to get a deep freeze so that I can freeze more than just soups.

9. Karen
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 6:12 PM | Permalink

Great idea and so much tastier than the purchased frozen ones!

10. Sheri
    Posted February 3, 2011 at 1:24 AM | Permalink

I made the chicken sandwiches and they were great! Everyone loved them here. I will try these burgers too! Thanks again! Love your ideas!
    Blessings,
    Sheri

11. grace
    Posted February 3, 2011 at 5:29 AM | Permalink

colby jack is pretty cheese. 🙂
    another winning idea, robin sue–you're the prep-and-freeze queen!

12. Penny
    Posted February 3, 2011 at 9:35 AM | Permalink

Another great recipe Robin Sue. There is a blog out there that specializes in lunch box fare. I can't remember what it is, but you two would make a great team.

13. alanna rose
    Posted February 3, 2011 at 10:28 AM | Permalink

I missed the chicken sandwich post, so I was glad for the link 🙂

I love these ideas! I'm going to make a batch of each sandwich – my kids are not yet school aged, but these look like great alternatives to our regular lunch fare of leftovers – plus my husband would probably like to take some in to work for lunch – and these are much healthier than what he picks up in the cafeteria.

Thanks Robin Sue!

14. Big Dude
    Posted February 3, 2011 at 2:38 PM | Permalink

Your kids are lucky to have a clever mom who'll do this for them.

15. RecipeGirl
    Posted February 3, 2011 at 3:23 PM | Permalink

What a great idea. Even for busy sport's nights too!

16. highplainsdrifters
    Posted February 3, 2011 at 6:42 PM | Permalink

Great idea. Exactly what the doctor ordered right now. Cheers!

17. Shelby
    Posted February 6, 2011 at 11:36 AM | Permalink

This is also a great idea to have for those who cook for 2! 🙂 I also LOVE the Martin rolls. They are tiny and yummy!

18. Anonymous
    Posted February 9, 2011 at 5:22 AM | Permalink

"… in an effort to health up my family's lunches…"

Um…

Seriously?

Posted February 9, 2011 at 7:33 AM | Permalink

Anon- compared to storebought prepared frozen foods, these are a better choice, using organic lean meat and cheese, I would say these are healthier in comparison. I am comparing these to the storebought version loaded in preservatives, fillers, and fats not a meal of fresh salmon, kale, and beets. SO yes these are healthier. Is it a healthy choice? In moderation. My kids homemade frozen sandwiches are not as scary as what the other children are bringing to school- not one homemade item, no fruit, and not one veggie in site. Sad.

20. Anonymous
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:39 PM | Permalink

This is not a healthy alternative…stop kidding yourself.

21. by Mama B
    Posted February 12, 2011 at 1:40 PM | Permalink

Awesome. This is indeed miles healthier than going to McD's for a burger. No temptation to have fries and pop, I can control the amount of fat in the meat and cheese, use whole wheat buns… Thanks so much for sharing.

22. coleyman12
    Posted February 17, 2011 at 1:03 AM | Permalink

NEVER EVER salt the burgers before cooking. It completely changes the texture of the inside of the burger.

23. Anonymous
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 3:24 AM | Permalink

Just made these and they turned out PERFECT. My boyfriend will be bringing these to work and I will use them for a late night snack… better then going to find fast food!!! Thanks for the instructions!

24. oneordinaryday
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 9:12 AM | Permalink

These, in slider form, are Sam's new favorite snack/lunch/dinner. He'd eat them for breakfast if I let him! You've earned me a Super Mom title, at least for as long as the sliders are in the freezer. : )
    Thanks for a great idea, Robin Sue!!!

25. Anonymous
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 3:45 PM | Permalink

Um. I was going to post a link to this recipe on my facebook, but then I saw all the legal stuff at the bottom and got scured. So I won't. But they look good!