Where Food Meets Fashion: Lasagna Purses

IMG_8821.JPG

Three things men should know about women…
1) Never try to guess her weight
2) Never try to guess her age
3) and never, ever look in her purse.

If you stick by these rules you may be OK, for a little while anyway. You never know with us. Purse, handbag, messenger bag, clutch, satchel, duffel, we use all kinds of names to identify our bags. Today I am going with “purse” as I like to think of a purse as a strapless, small and dainty bag, containing the most important of feminine items- lipstick, money, keys, and gun phone. Or in the case of these Lasagna Purses- cheese, sausage, and sauce. The perfect accessory to any one’s lunchbox, soup, or salad, you must admit Lasagna Purses are very stylish. There are other Mini/Petite Lasagna labels out there, but I needed mine to button at the top, keeping all the contents tucked safely away where no little girl could drop it up-end-down on her school dress. The top enclosed design lends itself to the perfect finger food. And that gathered, golden crust on top is the purse’s best feature. Crispy. Chewy. Good.

Although one should never peak into a lady’s purse, you must see the contents of this one’s compartments.

Delicious.

Lasagna Purses
For the sauce:
3/4 pound Italian sausage out of the casings, cooked, crumbled, and drained. Add:
2 cups favorite Marinara or pasta sauce, and simmer over low heat until needed.

For the Ricotta Filling
2 pounds ricotta cheese
2 eggs
2 cups shredded Italian Blend cheese
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1/4 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped

Mix all ingredients together and set aside until ready to use.

48 Egg Roll Wrappers
olive oil for brushing

Place one egg roll wrapper in each of the 24 greased, standard muffin tin wells. Press each down gently until it fills the bottom of each well, taking care not to rip the wrapper. Using half of the Ricotta Filling, fill each wrapper with a spoonful of cheese, about 1 tablespoon. Top each with a spoonful of sauce, then repeat the layers: wrapper, cheese, sauce. One at a time, fold the excess wrapper of each purse toward its center. Brush liberally with olive oil and bake in 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove each purse from the pan carefully and place on a pretty platter. Let set about 5-10 minutes before serving, they are HOT. Also good at room temperature. These freeze well. Makes 24 Purses.

*Note- to cut in half, it is easier to turn the purse over and using a sharp knife saw through from the bottom to the top.

My children are loving these in their lunchboxes.

More Italian…
Meatballs
Bracciol
Lasagna from Scratch
Spinach Gnudi
Pizzelles

Need more in your freezer?
Cheeseburgers
Chicken Sandwiches

1. A Year on the Grill
    Posted February 16, 2011 at 8:52 AM | Permalink

I am guessing you are 118 pounds,

29 years old…

And thanks for the look inside these incredible purses

2. highplainsdrifters
    Posted February 16, 2011 at 9:51 AM | Permalink

One of my favorite Northern Exposure quotes:

What do women want? Same things as men … only in prettier colors.
    ~ Chris in the Morning

3. Jersey Girl Cooks
    Posted February 16, 2011 at 10:04 AM | Permalink

Love this idea! I made mini lasagna cups with wonton wrappers but I love this idea where you seal them.

4. oneordinaryday
    Posted February 16, 2011 at 11:24 AM | Permalink

This is pretty! What a fun idea for a party.
    Does the wrapper get crispy?

5. Karen
    Posted February 16, 2011 at 11:49 AM | Permalink

Great idea to use the wonton wrappers and the filling sounds delish!

6. tamilyn
    Posted February 16, 2011 at 12:03 PM | Permalink

Oh these look fabulous! I have Girls Night happening this weekend-great appy idea, and if they freeze well, I could make some for our party and put up the rest for a family dinner!

7. Janie
    Posted February 16, 2011 at 12:40 PM | Permalink

What a cool idea! I have to try this…

8. Big Dude
    Posted February 16, 2011 at 2:12 PM | Permalink

Nice idea and they look delicious

9. Dave from Vienna
    Posted February 16, 2011 at 2:19 PM | Permalink

I guess ages, weights of the ladies all the time….

10. Natalie
    Posted February 16, 2011 at 4:39 PM | Permalink

such a fun idea! do you freeze and then bake or bake and then freeze?

Posted February 16, 2011 at 4:53 PM | Permalink

A Year on the Grill- You guessed my age perfectly!

oneordinaryday- the tops do get crispy, the rest is like a lasagna noodle, and under the crust in that lovely pile of wrapper it is a bit chewy, which I love.

Dave from Vienna- but you have a hard time guessing if they are married or single:-)

Natalie- I bake then freeze them on a tray, then wrap individually and freeze in a zip top freezer bag. Thanks!

12. debzy
    Posted February 16, 2011 at 6:18 PM | Permalink

oh yum! Worth waiting for! 🙂

13. FOODalogue
    Posted February 16, 2011 at 8:52 PM | Permalink

Love it! Great idea and execution.

14. Kristine McKowen
    Posted February 16, 2011 at 9:32 PM | Permalink

Thank you for solving my problem of what to make for diner tomorrow night.

We are having our weekly Thursday night family dinner and I was informed tonight that I was cooking. My stepson and his fiancee take turns with me.

15. Kristine McKowen
    Posted February 17, 2011 at 9:23 PM | Permalink

These were amazing! Thumbs up from the entire family!

Will be on the "make again" list

Posted February 17, 2011 at 9:28 PM | Permalink

Kristine- Yay you liked them! Thanks for coming by and letting me know, have a great weekend!

17. grace
    Posted February 18, 2011 at 6:43 AM | Permalink

you're too cool for school, robin sue! nice rules, and even nicer creation. these are cute and low-maintenance and filled with nearly everything a gal needs, as every purse should be. 🙂

18. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted February 18, 2011 at 1:46 PM | Permalink

Such a cute idea, I love the "Taco Purses" so I think tehse will be so good and great for aps too.

19. Mindy
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 8:01 PM | Permalink

Made these today and the kids didn't dislike them, which is a good thing. 🙂 To cut down the extra wrapper on the top, I only used half of the second wrapper on each. Thanks for sharing with us!