Why I Went to Puerto Rico…

To stroll the colorful streets of Old San Juan.

To sip piña coladas on the beach at sunset.

To spend time alone with Himself.

For the Mallorca and quiet breakfasts in the courtyard of our guest house.

To try new foods like Mofongo Relleno de Churrasco, or mashed green plantains stuffed with skirt steak…

and a Frita Cubana.

To count pigeons.

To enjoy the locals.

To lay on the beach, listen to the waves, and feel the sunshine on my face.

To Recharge. Refresh. Recreate. Reboot. ReRobin.

A huge thanks to Ma and Dad for watching the three littles so that Himself and I could escape!

Big Red Kitchen’s Puerto Rico Recommendations…

Coqui del Mar– a friendly, quiet little guest house in the Ocean Park neighborhood.
Kasalta– breakfast, lunch, and dinner, all fantastic! We ate here 3 times.
La B de Burro– excellent Mexican Food and a very happy place.
Inca Chicken– great chicken and mofongo.
Numero 1 Pamela’s Caribbean Cuisine– nice dessert and piña coladas right on the beach.

Do you have a favorite escape?

1. Lauren at KeepItSweet
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 7:59 AM | Permalink

I am going to Puerto Rico for the first time in March for my cousin's wedding. You just got me very excited:-)

2. A Year on the Grill
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 8:24 AM | Permalink

sure looks warm

3. FOODalogue
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 8:39 AM | Permalink

Perfect post! I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself. I've been to Pamela's – it's very nice! Where did you eat the mofongo with skirt steak?

Posted February 1, 2011 at 8:45 AM | Permalink

Foodalogue- The mofongo was at Inca Chicken. Very good food there and packed with locals. Highly recommended by everyone whom we asked, "where is the good food?"

5. Lori
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 9:30 AM | Permalink

I love that you "could re Robin".

A fantastic escape I am sure. And that food. Holy cannoli. I bet three people could eat that sandwich. Dang, it all looks so good.

6. Mary at Deep South Dish
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 9:45 AM | Permalink

Anyplace tropical, with lots of sunshine, cool breezes, little drinks with umbrellas in them, and the sounds of seagulls & ocean surf. Which is really weird since I both grew up and live in a beach town with all those things already! Guess I like what is familiar to me, just someplace else LOL!

7. Sabrina
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 10:05 AM | Permalink

Good for you and himself.
    Did you go to bio-luminous bay? We loved going there and seeing the beauty of the moon and sparkling water.

8. Mrsblocko
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 11:11 AM | Permalink

Sounds like you had a fun time! I am green with envy though. I want to go anywhere warm today with the impending "snow-pocalypse".

9. Big Dude
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 6:07 PM | Permalink

They all sound like good reasons to me. Aren't grandparents great?

10. oneordinaryday
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 6:48 PM | Permalink

Sounds positively wonderful. How lucky to escape this cold icy weather and lounge on a warm beach. 🙂

11. Penny
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 6:55 PM | Permalink

Ahhh . . . Robin Sue. Perfect vacation. Perfect post. Glad you had fun. Love the picture of Himself and your toes.

12. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 1:32 PM | Permalink

Ahhh, I feel relaxed just by your description. Hope you had a wonderful time, how special for you to getaway with hubby too.