Decorating Cupcakes Part 2: The Rose

It’s just sugar, don’t let it beat you up! Ma asked me a few months ago what my goal was with Big Red Kitchen. Ultimately, I would like to help other parents in the kitchen, whether it be getting dinner on the table or creating fun desserts. So with these videos, I hope to debunk some of the mystery behind achieving professional looking cupcakes. With the simple tool, the 1M decorator tip, I have been able to replicate cupcakes I see in the fanciest of bakeries. If you have been intimidated by trying your hand at cake decorating, give the techniques I teach in these videos a try. Remember, nothing is easy, ease is even an effort, but with the right tools the job can be simplified.

Buttercream Frosting
1 pound powdered sugar
1 stick butter, room temperature
2-3 T. milk
1 tsp vanilla

In a large bowl using your stand mixer or hand mixer, beat all ingredients together until smooth and spreadable. Do not make it too soft or your frosting will not hold its shape when you pipe it onto your cupcakes.

Tips:
1. Always make extra buttercream, at least 3 batches. Why? With using the 1M tip, more frosting is required and extra frosting freezes beautifully, saving you time with the next batch of cupcakes.
2. If you are still a bit intimidated, try practicing your pastry swirls on waxed paper first, the frosting can be easily scraped back into the bowl and reused. I used to watch my Ma practice over and over again on waxed paper until she got the technique down perfectly. Its just sugar, don’t let it beat you up!
3. It may be time to finally purchase a kitchen scale. It is best to weigh ingredients when baking.

Yesterday: The Pastry Swirl.

For more videos, visit my youtube Big Red Kitchen Channel

Related Posts:
The Pastry Swirl
The Rainbow Cupcake
The Inside Out Cupcake

Ideas from other bloggers…
i am baker’s Rose Cake
Kelly’s Tiffany Cupcakes– here are her swirls and roses side by side- Sweet!!

1. oneordinaryday
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 9:49 AM | Permalink

I need to make some cupcakes. I love the rose piping. 🙂

2. Biz
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 11:40 AM | Permalink

You make it seem so easy! I am loving the videos.

When I am trying something new, like making gnocchi, I go to you tube so I can see how its done – much easier than reading a recipe sometimes!

3. highplainsdrifters
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 12:33 PM | Permalink

Funny … you said to make extra, but I swear, every time I make icing, I only use about 1/3 of it. Which is fine … because left over icing on a graham cracker is my … brain freeze … what's the word for something you're embarrassed to admit that you enjoy? Dagnabbit! On the tip of my tongue …. Anyway, when it's me and a recipe, I always assume I know better, but when I'm listening to a real human, I always defer to the other party, so I trust you!

4. Mimi
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 1:48 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue you are a natural in front of the camera!
    Mimi

5. Ingrid
    Posted March 8, 2011 at 10:37 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue! I've missed you and your Ma! I just looked and drooled through all the posts I missed. Lots of yummy good food.

I'm sorry to hear that you and the fam. were under the weather. We had some of that here as well and my Devon got hit in the head with a baseball while playing short. Ball took a crazy hop as he was charging it. Other than that just busy, busy, busy with the kids and all the volunteering I do for their schools and sports teams.

Did you win the Paleo vs. Zone Challenge?

I see you went to PR and had mofongo. Mmmmm, that's a fave. My mom makes it for me.

Fabulous job with the videos. Short and sweet and most definitely doable. I'm looking forward to the other three videos.
    ~ingrid

Posted March 10, 2011 at 12:02 AM | Permalink

HPD- hmm, crutch maybe?

Mimi- Thank you!

Ingrid- I'm all about keeping it short and sweet and super simple. Thanks for the sweet words. So good to hear from you! Hope Devon is Ok!?

7. Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes]
    Posted March 16, 2011 at 5:49 AM | Permalink

I love making the rose. Again, an awesome video, Robin Sue. Very to the point and helpful!