Decorating Cupcakes Part 3: The Rainbow

One of my most visited posts is the Rainbow Cupcake post, I think because we can turn out whimsical cupcakes by simply layering color. A few extra steps but not entirely too difficult. In that post I showed you how to layer the colored buttercream in the pastry bag, but if a photo is a thousand words, a video must be worth a million. Watch and see how alternating three colors in your pastry bag can add such pizazz to your cupcakes. Your children will be wild for these.

To get the vibrant colors in these cupcakes, I used McCormick Neon! Food Color & Egg Dye.

Just is case you’ve missed them…
Part 1: The Pastry Swirl
Part 2: The Rose
Part 4: The Inside Out Cupcake

Big Red Kitchen Youtube Channel

Tomorrow- The Inside Out Cupcake!

1. highplainsdrifters
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 8:35 AM | Permalink

Neon food color? Didn't know there was such a thing. Reminds me of the joke about artificial pineapple flavoring …

2. FOODalogue
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 9:40 AM | Permalink

Good job on the videos. A star is born!

3. Coconut
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 9:57 PM | Permalink

Hi Robin Sue,

Love the videos, and I agree: "A star is born!"

You have a great presence on the videos.

I'm a fan of cooking shows like "Cake Boss" (and now, "Kitchen Boss") on the TLC TV channel because of the creativity, simplicity, and lack of arrogance about it all, which is what you also have here.

(Okay, some of those cakes on "Cake Boss" are not exactly simple, but they show you the steps, and seem to truly enjoy the work, as well as sharing the process.)

Good cooking does not have to be made into something overly complicated.

Food, from fun to elegant, can be created by just about anyone. Thanks to an aunt of mine, I've been cooking and baking since about the age of six.

Thanks for sharing more of your many tips and tricks.

Posted March 9, 2011 at 11:50 PM | Permalink

HPD- Now you can't just leave us hanging. Do tell the joke!

Joan- Thanks so much!

Coconut- Thanks for the sweet words! I agree, it must be simple and simple can look elegant as well. You have been cooking a long time, aunts are the best!

5. Mary at Deep South Dish
    Posted March 10, 2011 at 2:14 AM | Permalink

Nice job! Love the rainbow effect.

6. highplainsdrifters
    Posted March 10, 2011 at 8:17 AM | Permalink

Not so much a joke as a Seinfeld-esque observation.

If you grab a box of pineapple Jello, pineapple Shasta, or anything else pineapple flavored, the ingredients will list "artificial pineapple flavoring." What a proud day in chemical engineering history that must of been. Dr Shivago opens the vault at research facility and hollers at his minions, "How's it going down there? Have you come up with the cure for cancer yet?" And one of them replies, "No, sir, but Ralph here came up with some crap that tastes like pineapple."

Seems there's some chemical in real pineapple juice that keeps it from mixing properly with other substances. It took Jello 50 years to come up with an artificial pineapple flavor that wouldn't turn the gelatin into slime. So that's 50 years we're not curing cancer or solving cold fusion. Human beans for ya, yeah?

7. jamie
    Posted March 10, 2011 at 6:35 PM | Permalink

i find the background music annoying and distracting.

8. Posted February 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM | Permalink

FABU! Looking for ideas for rainbow cupcake and cake ideas for a My Little Pony theme….also fun, when I do food posts on my blog it is from the “Tiny Red Kitchen!!!” LOL. THANKS!