Decorating Cupcakes Part 4: The Inside Out Cupcake

I do have a pet peeve. Wasted Cupcakes! You have seen it before too, in a kiddie birthday party aftermath, a table full of frosting-eaten-only-cupcakes. All that work wasted. May as well given the kids a pile of frosting and a spoon and they would have been just as happy. To try to solve this issue- can we solve anything when kids are involved?- I send my children to school with the Inside Out Cupcake. That’s right, a good ole stuffed cupcake for that frosting-in-every-bite-experience. It seems to work too. No more wasted cupcakes. See how it’s done…

TIP: Some of the cake may goop up around the outside of your decorator tip. Wipe with a damp cloth. Be sure to make the star at the top of your cupcake slightly bigger than the hole you just made, just to tidy things up a bit!

Just is case you’ve missed them…
Part 1: The Pastry Swirl
Part 2: The Rose
Part 3: The Rainbow

Big Red Kitchen on Youtube Channel

Tomorrow: How to make your own cake mix.

1. highplainsdrifters
    Posted March 10, 2011 at 8:11 AM | Permalink

Maybe fill them with vegetables, to really fool them? No, that's probably going too far …

2. Coconut
    Posted March 10, 2011 at 9:00 AM | Permalink

A clever idea, and another great tip.

My icing skills are pretty rudimentary, but thanks to your videos, I'll try getting a little bit fancier.

I understand what you are saying about it not being easy with your children, work, etc., but you sure do make it look easy to do these icing techniques.

3. heather
    Posted March 10, 2011 at 9:56 AM | Permalink

I need to try these, because frosting on the inside is why I have loved the frosting filled powdered sugar donut and Dunkin Donuts my entire life.

4. Biz
    Posted March 10, 2011 at 12:23 PM | Permalink

Genius to put the frosting on the inside! 😀

But I can't wait for your homemade cake mix recipe tomorrow.

5. Karen
    Posted March 10, 2011 at 1:02 PM | Permalink

Great idea, but I would continue to pipe the top of the cupcake with even *more* buttercream! 😉

Posted March 10, 2011 at 6:05 PM | Permalink

Karen- that is how Himself wants them but wow do they make a mess in the lunchboxes. These pack up great for the kids and no frosting mess stuck to the plastic wrap!

7. Sheila
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 12:38 PM | Permalink

I don't know why I haven't done this for Caleb. He ONLY eats frosting. Added this to my plans for his birthday party!

8. Miri Leigh
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 10:24 PM | Permalink

I love the idea of putting frosting on the inside- definitely adds a little something extra to a great cupcake!