Decorating Cupcakes Part 5: How to Make Your Own Cake Mix

Did you know that you can make your own cake mix? Sure you can! By taking your favorite cake recipe and whisking together the dry ingredients, you have a cake mix at the ready for later. The great thing about this is that you can use your favorite flour, gluten-free flours, and tweak the ingredients to get the cake the way you like it. I also like that fact that there are no hydrogenated oils or preservatives in my homemade mix. When you have to, pull out your mix, blend in the wet ingredients and ta-da, you have cupcakes! I like a light and fluffy cupcake and have adapted a recipe to get that exact result everytime. So here we go…

Homemade Yellow Cake Mix
3 cups or 12 ounces cake flour
1 1/2 cups or 10.5 ounces sugar
1.5 teaspoons baking soda
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt

In a large bowl whisk together all ingredients and store in a labeled zip top bag with the following instructions for baking the cupcakes.

Directions to Make Cupcakes
One Yellow Cake Mix
12 T. unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup milk
3 eggs

In a large bowl and using a mixer on medium speed, mix cake mix with butter until mixture is crumbly. Add vanilla, mix. Alternate mixing in milk and eggs, mix 30 seconds. Then with the mixer on medium, beat the batter for exactly 1 minute, no more! Pour into 24 cupcake liners and bake in 350 degree oven for 17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and decorate. Makes 24 cupcakes.

Buttercream Frosting
1 pound powdered sugar
1 stick butter, room temperature
2-3 T. milk
1 tsp vanilla

In a large bowl using your stand mixer or hand mixer, beat all ingredients together until smooth and spreadable. Do not make it too soft or your frosting will not hold its shape when you pipe it onto your cupcakes.

Just is case you’ve missed them…
Part 1: The Pastry Swirl
Part 2: The Rose
Part 3: The Rainbow
Part 4: The Inside Out Cupcake

All videos can also be found on Big Red Kitchen’s Youtube Channel.

Thanks for joining me this week for CUPCAKES!

1. Sheila
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 12:28 PM | Permalink

I have been avoiding buying boxed mixes; this is very helpful. I haven't come across a recipe yet that really gives a light and fluffy cake from scratch so I am looking forward to trying this.

2. Karen
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 12:28 PM | Permalink

This was a great series, Robin Sue – and you looked so cute in all of the videos!

3. Mindy
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 12:29 PM | Permalink

This is exactly what I've been looking for! I can't bring myself to make box cakes anymore, but I'd love to have a mix prepared already at home. A couple of questions:

1) How long will this stay good for? (I'd imagine the baking soda and powder would lose some of its potency at some point.)

2) Any suggestions for tweaking it to make different flavors? I know I could play with it, but I was wondering if you have any tried and true additions?

Thanks!

4. Mary
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 12:41 PM | Permalink

This is such a good idea. I've done this with biscuit mix but never thought to do this for cupcakes. It's a great recipe. Have a terrific day. Blessings…Mary

5. Mimi
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 5:42 PM | Permalink

Great week of videos. This is the same cake mix I make it and makes a delcious cake.
    Mimi

Posted March 11, 2011 at 7:05 PM | Permalink

Sheila, this is a good start, as I was playing with it, I upped the sugar, downed the sugar and this one seemed to baked up best. Can't wait to hear how yours goes.

Karen- Thanks, it is still good to be called cute!

Mindy- I will try chocolate next and add it. Since there are no preservatives I would give it 6 months, but I would have to do some research on the life of soda and powder. Thanks for the link love!

Mary- Thanks and your Chicken Fried Steak looks amazing!

Mimi- Glad you enjoyed, thank you!

7. Rebel Mel
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 1:46 AM | Permalink

Bookmarked this!

I recently entered a cookie bake-off and bought wayyyy too much flour. I'm thinking that I could get some maSon jars and cut the recipe into thirds, so not only would I have some new decorations AND get rid of some of the flour, but I can also have enough mix for a pan of mini cupcakes.

I know, I know, ima genius 😉

I'll let you know how it goes!

8. ann@ Apples and Twinkies
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 6:18 PM | Permalink

This looks like a wonderfully practical recipe. I love the idea.

9. vanillasugar
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM | Permalink

very nice. and i like to run my sugar thru the food processer to make it finer. it just cooks better that way because when you make large batches of the cake mix sometimes the sugar (with it's weight) might shift down over time. so i just like to do it.

10. Michelle @the domestic mama and the village cook
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 6:45 AM | Permalink

I love the video! Great job! 🙂

11. Danielle
    Posted August 8, 2012 at 12:20 AM | Permalink

This looks awesome! I have a question though. Does this make the same 4 1/2 cup finished batter amount like cake mixes do? Can’t wait to try this!

• Robin Sue
      Posted August 8, 2012 at 3:04 PM | Permalink

I am not sure if it is exact but it is pretty close. Thanks!