H.R.H. Hen Night Steak and Guinness Pie

The world’s a titter over the upcoming Royal Wedding between Wills and Lady Kate. Oh I can remember getting up very early to watch his mum Diana’s wedding. I was glued to the TV the entire day, hoping upon hope ole Charles would hurry up and kiss that gal, because everyone knows kissing a princess turns every toad into a real prince. Finally the “balcony kiss” came and went and Charles remained the same toady bloke. But what a dream to see this young shy girl become a princess! A dream and a shame. Poor girl. Now I am looking forward to getting up very early on April 29th to witness William’s wedding. Actually Harry is so much more handsome. I think it will take a lot to get him tied down, but are those princes really ever tied down? Hmmm.

I some how missed an invite to Kate’s Hen Party and I can’t seem to find my wedding invite either. The mail is so slow. Stupid mail. As we approach the wedding of the century and in honor of all things Brit, let’s celebrate our own Hen Night with a classic pub dish of Steak and Guinness Pie. A Hen Night is Britain’s answer to the bachelorette party, one last hurrah before tying the knot. It can be as calm as a dinner out with the girls, or as wild a whooping it up at a local pub. Let’s go for the whooping it up part, shall we?

Do not let the length of the ingredient list keep you from making the deeply rich and flavorful pie. Once everything is in the pot you can walk away and spend time catching up on all the Royal Wedding Gossip over at the Daily Mail.

A good stew has four major parts- veggies, meat, gravy, and seasonings. Get these right and you will have a fantastic stew every time.

Steak and Guinness Pie
Veggies:
2 large onions, chopped
2 large stalks celery, sliced
4 large carrots, sliced
small bag radishes, trimmed and halved- I am liking radishes better than potatoes in stew

Cook over medium high heat in a Dutch oven with a few splashes of olive oil, until onions are translucent.

Meat:
2.5 pounds stew beef, cut in bite-sized pieces
handful flour
2 big pinches Kosher salt
fresh black pepper
2 spoonfuls paprika- Thanks Graham!

Add to veggies and stir. Lower heat to medium and add gravy and seasoning ingredients.

Gravy:
1 can Guinness Draught
about 1 cup good organic chicken broth- I always use chicken over beef, have yet to find a good beef broth and did not have any homemade.
2 big spoonfuls tomato paste

Seasonings:
1 sprig fresh rosemary
2 full sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
2 heaping tablespoonfuls Dijon mustard

Cover and simmer over medium heat for one hour, stirring occassionally. Uncover and simmer another one hour over low, stirring occassionally. Add one handful of shredded sharp cheddar cheese and simmer another 15 minutes until stew is thick. Adjust salt and pepper if needed. Meanwhile…

For the Pie:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Defrost 2 sheets puff pastry. In a deep casserole dish place one sheet of pastry and prick with a fork. Bake about 5 minutes. Add stew and top with second sheet of pastry. Brush with 1 egg yolk whisked with 2 tsp. water. Bake for 15 minutes or until pie is golden brown. Serve with buttered peas and a Guinness. Serves 6-8.

God Save the Queen!

Will you be watching the Royal Wedding? Do you remember Diana’s?

1. Tonya
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 8:19 AM | Permalink

At least William is not a toad. Beautiful couple. I think William truly loves that girl!

2. Denise in PA
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:29 AM | Permalink

You bet I'll be watching – I've actually taken the day off work to watch and celebrate! And, I think I'll make this for dinner – thanks for the great recipe!!

3. grahamstravelblog
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM | Permalink

You are very welcome for the Paprika. It's not every day that I'm in Hungary, so enjoy it while it's around.

This recipe is making me very hungry. I will not be watching the Royal Wedding as I'll be driving up to Portland, Maine for my birthday, and we want to get there to catch a brewery tour.

4. Sabrina
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 2:27 PM | Permalink

This sounds delish, Robin. I do remember Diana's wedding. I was glued to the TV.

5. Alison
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 2:36 PM | Permalink

That sounds so yummy! I did not watch Diana's wedding. Mostly it was because I was a good 6 months away from being born! I wonder if my mom watched it…

Thanks for the great recipe!!!

6. highplainsdrifters
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 11:06 AM | Permalink

Second best thing you can do with a Guiness!

7. Biz
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 1:00 PM | Permalink

I didn't get my invite either – WTF?!

I too remember getting up at I think 4:30 in the morning to watch the Royal Wedding – can you believe this was back before VCR's – or at least before we had one!

8. Mimi
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 1:31 PM | Permalink

I'm in luck,I still have some Guiness from St Paddy's day.
    I seem to remember getting up very early or was it that I stayed up very late, for Princess Di's wedding. I'm older now and need my sleep… so I think I'll just record this one.
    Mimi

9. grace
    Posted April 12, 2011 at 1:52 PM | Permalink

i feel like william is getting less attractive with age, isn't that terrible!?! regardless, i hope their marriage is a happy and healthy one.
    and clearly, your pie is excellent.

10. Group Purchase Online
    Posted April 16, 2011 at 8:02 PM | Permalink

My favourite pie. I have it on a regularly at an Irish pub in Brisbane of course washed down with a pint of Guinness. Its 10am Sunday morning here in Australia and you have made up my mind where I'm going for lunch.
    Cheers.

11. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted April 20, 2011 at 9:50 PM | Permalink

Love it! Looks so good, same idea as my Dublin Pie but with a yummy crust.

12. Kellie Rose
    Posted September 10, 2011 at 10:55 PM | Permalink

Just made this recipe tonight, only without the actual pie part. Just the stew, and it was FABULOUS!! Thank you so much for such a delicious recipe! It was actually my first time even making beef stew, so to have it turn out so delicious was really quite a treat!

Posted September 11, 2011 at 10:46 AM | Permalink

Kellie Rose- So glad you loved the stew! Such a comforting meal!

14. Flowers
    Posted March 20, 2012 at 7:21 AM | Permalink

Almost a year later now..it was such a fantastic day to see. They looked very much in love.
    Wow that pie looks good!!! 😀

15. Posted October 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM | Permalink

Yes I watched both of the weddings and I hope Williams marriage turns out better and more truth-full than his fathers did. Still can’t believe Charles left Princess Dy for that witch. Sorry, a little catie And that pie looks fabulous. Will have to try it. Thanks.