Pizza and Wings Part 1: Pizza Meatballs

Did I ever tell you that I was a waitress at Pizza Hut for a few years during college? No? Well I was. At what was probably the busiest Pizza Hut in all of South Jersey was where I first learned to move faster than any other waitressing job I had ever had. That very first summer and only fresh out of training, HQ came out with this brilliant plan that we were to get Personal Pan Pizzas out to the customers within 5 minutes or their pizza was free. We slammed a stopwatch down on the table, ran to place the order, sloshed drinks all over the place, and finally got their pizzas to them, all the while taking more orders and racing some more. What HQ forgot was that we wanted good tips, because everyone knows 10% on a $5 Check is worth slaving for, and to get those good tips, we dashed to get the food out to our customers while neglecting the all-you-can-eat-salad bar which was emptied in 30 seconds flat upon opening. No waitress wanted to leave her station to refill a stupid salad bar. We fought, yelled, customers stormed out, and when it was all said in done, that $4.38 jingling in my apron after 2 hours of H-E-Double Toothpick, felt mighty fine. HQ called it all off after 2 weeks. Smart.

Now that I am all grown up, I will occasionally order Pizza and Wings to be delivered so that I can take a break from cooking. I love the combination of the spicy wings and cheesy, gooey pizza. That got me to thinking that they would make great flavors for meatballs. On sticks. For my kids lunches.

First up, Pizza Meatballs crafted to taste just like Pizza Hut’s Supreme Pizza, and you know what, they do. Brought me right back to those summers at the HUT. My kids? They love them.

Supreme Pizza Meatballs
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. fennel seed
2 eggs
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 handful Parmesan cheese

One recipe favorite Marinara Sauce

After dicing the stated ingredients in the food processor, place the entire list of ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. I used my very clean hands. Roll into 1 inch balls. Bake in 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Makes about 36 meatballs. Let cool completely and place 3 on a wooden skewer. Roll each skewer of meatballs in sauce, shake off excess, and freeze on trays. Once frozen, wrap each one in waxed paper. (If you are using jarred sauce, simply dip the entire skewer in the jar). Place the leftover sauce in individual containers and place in the freezer with the skewers in zip topped bags. Place 1 or 2 skewers and sauce containers in each lunchbox, along with some fresh fruit and veggies, oh and maybe a homemade cookie too. I tell my kids to heat the meatballs for about 30 seconds since they are defrosted by lunchtime.

More in the Freezer, more in the Lunchbox!
Cheeseburgers
Chicken Sandwiches
Lasagna Purses
Pizza Burgers
Pizza Meatballs on a Stick
Buffalo Wing Meatballs on a Stick
Breakfast Cones

Tomorrow: Buffalo Wing Meatballs

Where did you work as a teen?

1. Kelly
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 8:32 AM | Permalink

Wow, these look so good! Can't wait to try them.

I worked in my parent's Veterinary hospital, which may or may not have been worse than waitressing. To this day I can't stand cat litter.

2. CupcakeLiz
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 8:43 AM | Permalink

I worked as a library page until I got too busy in school, and then from my junior year summer until I left for college, I worked at a local grocery store ringing register. It was pretty much all high school and college kids from 3pm on..lol…we were pretty responsible…the place didn't burn down or anything…. 😉

3. FOODalogue
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 4:20 PM | Permalink

Do you ever sleep?! 🙂

Another good one, Robin.

4. Big Dude
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 4:31 PM | Permalink

I don't know about kids, but this old man thinks they sound super good and will have to try them. I lived in Bridgeton, NJ for several years – where in S. Jersey were you?

Posted April 18, 2011 at 4:42 PM | Permalink

Big Dude- Larry I lived in Voorhees, just outside of Cherry Hill. The Pizza Hut I am refering to was on Elisburg Circle on Rt. 70. Very busy place!

6. Karen
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 4:51 PM | Permalink

My daughter and I have always wanted to be waitresses! Truth is, neither of us would have lasted a shift, but for some reason it looks like fun to us. Yes, we're nuts. LOL Another great idea for lunches!

7. vanillasugar
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 6:31 PM | Permalink

i can't even imagine being a waitress. there is no way i can carry a napkin on a tray let alone a meal and drinks.
    BUT this idea here is GENIUS! We should do a cookbook together–for real.

8. Kelly
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 8:51 PM | Permalink

Brilliant! THese sounds soooo good. I'm sure my husband would love them, too.

I worked at Dairy Queen. I'm not ashamed to admit that I became completely addicted to ice cream, I'm not kidding. I thought I'd get sick of it. Completely the opposite.

9. bookworm88
    Posted April 19, 2011 at 9:39 AM | Permalink

I made these last night. I had to modify them a bit because my boyfriend is allergic to mushrooms and the pepper in my fridge wasn't good anymore, but we both really liked them (modifications aside). Wonderful recipe!!

10. pigpigscorner
    Posted April 20, 2011 at 5:55 AM | Permalink

Pizza ona stick?! Awesome!

11. the domestic mama
    Posted April 20, 2011 at 8:38 AM | Permalink

Oh yes… these look like the bomb! 🙂 Perfect for hungry little ones and hubbys. 😉

12. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted April 20, 2011 at 9:47 PM | Permalink

Oh my goodness I love these recipes! I cannot wait to try them. Yes the kids will love too! Super funny how great minds think alike….I made a pizza something last wk too. Will post soon!

13. grace
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 6:46 PM | Permalink

i've never met a kid who didn't like pizza-ish stuff. i'm all for it too. 🙂

14. oneordinaryday
    Posted April 30, 2011 at 7:33 AM | Permalink

YUM!
    You are so darn creative, Robin Sue. I love all the ways you mix up everyday foods. You've gotta have a houseful of really happy kiddos!

15. Kathy
    Posted October 15, 2013 at 5:53 PM | Permalink

I am trying this recipe for my bookclub on Friday night!! Sounds very easy and tasty! My first job was at a Drive In Restaurant that served pretty much burgers and ice cream! 🙂 Started at age 16 until I was 19. 🙂

One Trackback

1. By Food that Pops!! « EnkindleLeena on February 21, 2013 at 8:29 AM

[…] a stick via The Kitchn 7. French Toast Kebabs via Parent Map 8. Pizza Meatballs on a stick via Big Red Kitchen 9. Watermelon on a stick via Bobble Blog 10. Caprese Salad on a stick via If the Ring Fits 11. […]