Friendship isn’t a big thing…

Maggie on one of our many adventures. She and I rented a row boat one morning and enjoyed breakfast on the Potomac River.

My heart is not in this post because it is a little broken right now. I just don’t feel up to waxing poetic over food. I was going to write about some Kebabs I made for my dear friend’s farewell party last Friday night, which makes me cry typing that. I met Maggie two years ago when she moved in across the street, and we became friends immediately. We barely spent a day apart. And now she is leaving in four days back to Germany taking a piece of my heart with her. She taught me to wear big earrings and lots of perfume, always have balloons at parties, put a raspberry in my champagne, wear sparkly silver shoes, love myself, live large, sing loud, and dance big.

I mean, look at her in the photo hamming it up at the party just to make Himself laugh! I will miss our walks and long chats over cups of tea, mid-week escapes to the cinema, park, or cafe, and the constant open door to each others homes sharing meals and childcare. I will miss her. I will miss us.

Friendship isn’t a big thing, it’s a million little things.

1. Fallon
    Posted June 29, 2011 at 7:12 AM | Permalink

Awww!! That is how it was when I had to move to Georgia. No one in Vegas wanted me to go but either way I was going. My best friend and I keep in touch we much as we can through text messages, skype and the occasional facebook message. My mom is my other best friend and we talk all the time. My dad and I surprised her with a ticket to come visit me next week for 5 days. I can't wait!!!

This just gives you an excuse to go visit her in Germany now. 😉

2. Coconut
    Posted June 29, 2011 at 7:16 AM | Permalink

Hi Robin Sue,

Your friendship with Maggie sounds like one in a million.

I am sorry to hear that she is moving so far way, and I hope you find time to visit each other on as regular a basis as possible.

My heart goes out to you.

3. Heather (Heather's Dish)
    Posted June 29, 2011 at 7:55 AM | Permalink

oh Robin, i am so sorry. one of the hardest things i've ever had to do is move away from the best friends i've ever had in Dallas to come to Colorado. you're right that it's a million little things that all add up to friendship being a MAJOR thing. maggie sounds incredible…but now you have a huge excuse to start traveling to Europe!

praying for you sweetie 🙂

4. Mary at Deep South Dish
    Posted June 29, 2011 at 10:38 AM | Permalink

Good friends are indeed hard to find these days. Sounds like you found a jewel. Keep in touch & plan a get together when you can & it'll be a whole new set of adventures to come!

5. Alison
    Posted June 29, 2011 at 10:44 AM | Permalink

I am so glad to have met Maggie and her family. They are wonderful. I'm sorry she is leaving. I know how hard it is to watch friends go, especially ones as special as she. Enjoy these last few days!

6. oneordinaryday
    Posted June 29, 2011 at 12:17 PM | Permalink

I have that kind of friend, so I understand how sad you must feel. But how awesomely blessed the two of you have been to have each other!

7. vanillasugar
    Posted June 29, 2011 at 12:47 PM | Permalink

you are so lucky to have a friend like her.
    but guess what? you now get to travel to Europe! LOL

8. Big Dude
    Posted June 29, 2011 at 3:10 PM | Permalink

Great that you can make such a good friend and the nice thing about todays technology is that can be just a skype away no matter where they are. And the real silver lining is you now have a great reason to visit Germany – a country I love to visit – I like wine, beer, sausage,schnitzel, and bread and they have some of the best on the planet.

9. FOODalogue
    Posted June 29, 2011 at 4:17 PM | Permalink

Short and sweet and so poignant. I'm left with a lump in my throat, but I like what vanillasugar said. Didn't you live in Germany? If so, there's irony there.

10. Sabrina
    Posted June 29, 2011 at 8:06 PM | Permalink

Maggie is a very special lady. I know you will miss her like crazy. But now you will have to go to Germany SOON! And you and Maggie can take us on a food tour there.

11. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 10:47 AM | Permalink

Awww, she sounds like an awesome friend! Thank goodness for email right? and…I miss that gorgeous Potomac River! I miss VA and DC! We used to live there in the summers with my dad and family friends. I may have to go visit my friends soon and a trip to your cooking salon 🙂 I will even come in summer heat.