Greekza Pizza: A Grain and Dairy Free Pizza

I love eating salads this time of year and one of my favorites is a Gyro Salad with all that deliciously salty feta cheese, flavorful Gyro meat, and a nice warm pita to mop up all the dressing. In maintaining a Paleo way of eating, I am to stay away from grains and dairy. After seeing a picture of a Meatza Pizza on fastpaleo.com, I thought that I could create my own version using all the Greek flavors found in a Gyro Salad and forming it into a pizza using the meat as a crust. Although this is a fork and knife meal, I did not miss the cheese and bread (alright, maybe a little.) If you are following a regular diet, go ahead and throw on the Feta and maybe a drizzle of Tzatziki. Moderation in moderation, right?

Greekza Pizza
1 pound organic, free-range ground beef, 85/15 fat
1/2 tsp. sea salt, optional
1 T. minced fresh oregano
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 T. red onion, finely chopped
1/4 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper

Mix all ingredients together well and press into a 12 inch circle on a pizza pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes then broil for another 3. Remove from pan, leaving drippings behind and place on a plate. Top with…

sliced cucumbers
sliced tomatoes
sliced red onion
sliced fresh black olives
fresh oregano leaves
a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
more fresh cracked black pepper

Slice and serve. Serves 2-3.

I wonder what other versions we could dream up?

1. Heather (Heather's Dish)
    Posted June 20, 2011 at 7:37 AM | Permalink

wow, this is a cool idea! i think i could probably eat large amounts of this 'pizza' and be totally OK with it 🙂

2. Kalyn
    Posted June 20, 2011 at 10:52 AM | Permalink

I'm intrigued by this; sounds delicious!

3. Karen
    Posted June 20, 2011 at 11:39 AM | Permalink

This looks very good!

4. cbroma
    Posted June 20, 2011 at 1:26 PM | Permalink

What a great idea! Although the thought of grainless, dairyless pizza still makes me a little sad. This does look delicious though!

5. Kelly
    Posted June 20, 2011 at 2:59 PM | Permalink

Looks great! I'm definitely interested in the Paleo diet.

6. Anonymous
    Posted June 20, 2011 at 3:04 PM | Permalink

I can't wait to try this because it has no carbs and just cholesterol in the meat which isn't too bad. Ma

7. Telebrands
    Posted June 20, 2011 at 3:16 PM | Permalink

Thanks for this wonderful Greekza Pizza recipe. It looks great.

8. A Year on the Grill
    Posted June 20, 2011 at 3:25 PM | Permalink

I just love pizza. I have a friend who also loves pizza but happens to be gluten intolerant. So i am always looking for alternative crusts.

Best on the diet (camera adds ten pounds you tv star). I recently finished the 17 day diet. Worked great for me, but is sure a joy to be off it… Butter it hurt to be without

Dave

9. Anonymous
    Posted June 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM | Permalink

Oooh,this recipe gives me a great framework for creating other sorts of "pizzas". Taco pizza would be yummy using taco meat as the crust and topping with lettuce, tomato, olives, salsa, guacamole. Score!
    ~Sharon

10. Mimi
    Posted June 21, 2011 at 1:10 PM | Permalink

My carnivore son would be all over this.
    Mimi

11. May - So Very Domestic
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 8:56 PM | Permalink

Awesome!! What a great way to get a pizza fix! I read a little about paleo and I am intrigued!

12. Jack O'Brien
    Posted June 26, 2011 at 10:17 PM | Permalink

How is sea salt not a "paleo" food? It is basically just sea water that's been evaporated (albeit from boiling the water away usually), but it doesn't seem like something that a cave man couldn't have done themselves with very primitive tools.

Posted June 26, 2011 at 10:34 PM | Permalink

Hi Jack,
    Most Paleo folks stay away from extra added salt. I do use a pinch here and there since my very modern tastebuds like the stuff;)
    It all depends on how strict you want to be about it.
    Robin Sue

14. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted June 28, 2011 at 4:57 PM | Permalink

I too have made this Meatza. Very good and I too add celtic sea salt for flavor and minerals 😉

15. Tosha
    Posted January 19, 2013 at 2:53 PM | Permalink

Hmmm, wonder if I could do half ground lamb, half beef to get a really authentic gyro flavor? Maybe a schmear of tzatziki between the meat and veggies too…..