Boredom Buster for Kids: How to Make Fondant Candies

The cloves, definitely the cloves. Their scent brought me right back to our old kitchen, when I used to sit for hours while Ma made these little candies. She would make the fondant, color it, knead it, shape it, and let it dry for hours before placing them ever so carefully on her basket cake. I was fascinated with the detail she put into making each candy, like how cocoa really made the candy look like a potato, and how powdered sugar made a peach look fuzzy. But oh those whole cloves she used for stems made a scent memory I will never forget.

My kids were bored yesterday (everyday), so I whipped up some of this fondant to teach them how to make fruit candies just as Ma taught me. They loved kneading the colors into the dough and trying their hand as shaping the candies. Daelyn loved making the oranges with their clove stems, while Deven liked making the strawberries and grapes.

They thought the potatoes looked real until the teenager and Himself said they looked like poo. Stupendous.

So why potatoes? Ma would make other vegetables too but I just thought the potatoes looked so cool with the cocoa, and smelled great too. I made the little dents with a butter knife to look more like a real potato.

To get the citrus fruits to look dimply, we rolled them around on a cheese grater.

We didn’t get the color and shapes perfect, we were only out to have a good time.

Candy Fondant
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup light karo syrup
1/2 tsp. salt
2 pounds powdered sugar
1 tsp. flavoring, (I used a 4 drops of Fiori di Sicilia)

In a large bowl of your stand mixer, blend all ingredients until a smooth ball forms. Remove from bowl and divide and color- I used regular liquid food coloring. Shape into small fruits, flowers, bugs, teapots, or any other cute idea you can think up. You will need to let them set up some by allowing them to sit out a few hours, then store in an airtight container in a cool place. Use to decorate cupcakes and cakes, or eat as is. Makes about 100 candies.

Notes- Roll strawberries in red or pink sugar. “Paint” the ends of the bananas with green food coloring using a Q-tip. Use cloves for stems in peaches and oranges. Use purchased leaves for strawberries and grapes, I got mine from Confectionary House. Roll peaches in powdered sugar and make a crease in them using a butter knife or toothpick. Roll all citrus fruit over the rough side of a cheese grater.

Have fun. Stay COOL!

1. A Year on the Grill
    Posted July 21, 2011 at 8:05 AM | Permalink

It's a guy thing… I think they look like poo too

But, fun in the kitchen, the nieces and nephews are coming… So I need to save all these posts. Love the fuzzy peaches!

Posted July 21, 2011 at 8:45 AM | Permalink

AYOTG-Yeah Dave and the poo photo is going on your site. Hahahahaha!

3. Kelly
    Posted July 21, 2011 at 10:06 AM | Permalink

Awesome! I LOVE this idea. BTW, the peach looks a bit like a baby's bum. Hee!

4. Erika K
    Posted July 21, 2011 at 10:25 AM | Permalink

Oh these are so cute!! My kids were fawning over the little peach picture, and they wondered why someone would make a potato – LOL!

All my girls would love this, but one of my daughters does particularly well with clay. She might make a whole Thanksgiving dinner out of this if given the chance. 🙂

Erika K

Cuisinart 12 cup food processor

5. Natalie
    Posted July 21, 2011 at 10:43 AM | Permalink

you don't have to be a kid to make these, right? 😉 bc I want to try–they are so cute!

6. Tina
    Posted July 21, 2011 at 4:36 PM | Permalink

Can we pin it? I'm not sure if you know what that is but it is like bullentin board where you pin your ideas for your friends and others to see.

Posted July 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM | Permalink

Tina- Sure, Pin away! I am new to pinning and haven't even set up my account. Some amazing ideas there. Always an inspiration. Thanks!

8. Kelly
    Posted July 21, 2011 at 5:20 PM | Permalink

Oops, didn't think to ask before I Pinned it. I did so right away. 🙂 Pinterest is one of my new favorite things.

9. dul
    Posted July 21, 2011 at 7:36 PM | Permalink

definitely more tasty than marzipan as well!

10. Biz
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 1:09 PM | Permalink

You are such a creative Momma! They look wonderful – and for the record, I think they look more like potatoes than poo!

11. Lori
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 10:22 PM | Permalink

Potatoes I say.

I love your fruit. And when working with kids, I find I have to throw perfectionism to the wind and enjoy the moment instead. I love your attitude about that. Bravo.

12. oneordinaryday
    Posted July 23, 2011 at 8:11 AM | Permalink

The kids did a great job. Everything looks awesome and I bet they had fun doing it. 🙂

13. miri leigh
    Posted July 24, 2011 at 12:20 PM | Permalink

These are so creative…love your creative skills!

14. pugsx4
    Posted July 25, 2011 at 8:45 PM | Permalink

OMG Just saw your Finish commercial and you looked great!

One Trackback

1. […] and recipe available at Big Red Kitchen Posted by Candies Galore in Fondant Candy and tagged with art, candies, candy, candy art, […]