Feta Basil Tomato Kebabs

My first experience with Feta was back in the late 80’s when I worked for a Greek diner in New Jersey. You’re snickering aren’t you? I really didn’t like Feta’s saltiness or texture and pretty much grossed out every time Gus, one of the owner’s son, put a big slab of it on his burger. Urp. Fast forward some years beyond graduation, falling in love, marrying, moving to Fort Bragg, and becoming pregnant with my first baby, when suddenly plowing as many Feta laden Gyros in my pie hole until my ankles poured out of my shoes became routine. That was a long time ago but I have maintained my love of Feta. I know this little appetizer is more popularly made with baby mozzarella balls, but I like Feta for a nice change up. Give it a go.

FBT Kebabs
1/2 inch cubes Feta cheese
basil leaves, halved if they are too big
cherry tomatoes
toothpicks

Extra virgin olive oil
black pepper
red pepper flakes

Place a basil leaf then tomato on top of a Feta cube and pierce with a toothpick or skewer. Continue until you have as many as you need. In a small bowl pour olive oil, a sprinkle of black pepper and red pepper flakes for dipping or pouring over the entire platter just before serving. Serve immediately. Do not make too far in advance and chill for a long time as the basil leaves may discolor.

What was your pregnancy craving? Men did you join right in on your wife’s cravings?

1. Heather (Heather's Dish)
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 7:46 AM | Permalink

that's so funny how you just craved it when you got pregnant! my weirdest non-pregnancy craving was fried pickles when i'd never had them before. they hit the spot!

2. Kelly
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 8:48 AM | Permalink

oh, this looks so good! Since it's been so hot out I've been craving caprese salad every night!

3. Heather S.
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM | Permalink

Croissants . . . the office building where I worked had them, so I ate one everyday!

4. scarletscorpion
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 9:54 AM | Permalink

Thanks for this! Perfect for impromptu guests 😀 I wish my baby basil will grow soon!!

5. Big Dude
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 10:01 AM | Permalink

Nice little appetizer Robin Sue. I love cheese and while I wouldn't say Feta is my favorite it's around the top of the list. Our son is headed to Ft Bragg in a couple of months so it's another area we'll get to visit.

6. Big Dude
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 10:08 AM | Permalink

I hate it when I write up a comment then delete rather than post it – nice little appetizer – feta is a big favorite of mine. Our son is heading to Bragg in a couple of months, so we'll be visiting the area before long.

7. peachkins
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 10:42 AM | Permalink

this is a great appetizer!

8. Julieann
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 11:14 AM | Permalink

YUM!!! Love feta:)

I craved tomatoes and lemons with my first along with cans, and cans of chicken noodle soup. My second baby I craved strawberries and my third I craved peanut butter.

I always enjoy my visit here.

When you your commercial comes on, it is a gentle reminder to me ..I think to myself, oh I have to see what Robin is up too:)

Have a wonderful day!

Julieann

9. Alison
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 12:33 PM | Permalink

I love this appetizer! Yum!

I am pretty sure my sister got Taco Bell through the recession as she ate their almost every day while she was preggo. They knew her order, which got progressively bigger as the months went by!

My mom craved Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch with me. To this day I have never had it!

Thanks for the recipe:-)

10. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 9:46 PM | Permalink

Yum I love basil on just about anything but I am wanting to make that oil right now!

11. Natalie
    Posted July 15, 2011 at 1:41 PM | Permalink

yum, love the cheese switch-up on these! people always go crazy for these!

12. Neil Butterfield
    Posted July 16, 2011 at 6:33 AM | Permalink

I agree that feta is an acquired taste,however it is absolutely delicious. I love it in salad and on its own.

13. Nic
    Posted July 16, 2011 at 7:45 AM | Permalink

Gorgeous, simple and delicious for summer parties!
    My craving was for hot chilli con carne, the hotter the better and when it came I couldn't eat it – duh!

14. miri leigh
    Posted July 16, 2011 at 1:25 PM | Permalink

This is a perfect appetizer that everyone always loves!

15. Umm Mymoonah
    Posted July 18, 2011 at 8:38 AM | Permalink

I'm a big fan of feta cheese, this is a lovely appetizer.
    I used to crave my mom's cooking a lot when I was pregnant since we lived thousands of miles away from her.

16. grace
    Posted July 19, 2011 at 9:18 AM | Permalink

right now i think feta tastes and smells like dirty socks, so if i ever get a craving for it, i'll know something's up… 🙂