Peppers and Eggs

Time is a thief. But she puts in Presence place memories.

Have you ever taken a photograph without a camera? The kind of picture when you stop and whisper to yourself, “I will remember this moment forever,” then click that scene permanently in your mind, or more like your heart. Over time these memories become, for me anyway, kind of glowing, like old family films that start to lose their color and go white. I have a memory like that from when I was a tiny girl and we would visit my Grandma every Thursday. It has become a collage of snapshots in my mind of fading colors, sounds, smells, and flavors. On one of those Thursdays my Ma, Grandma, Auntie Josie and my cousins went to Revere Beach for a picnic. I remember Grandma in her lace-up black shoes with heals on the beach, my bigger cousins digging a hole in the sand and filling it with water for us little ones, and the Peppers and Eggs for lunch.

I hated Peppers and Eggs. Oh no, we could not have Bologna on Wonder Bread like the other American kids, we had to have Pepper and Egg Sandwiches on bakery fresh Italian bread. Funny what we hated as kids then liked later in life. Now I crave Peppers and Eggs, and as soon as I bite into one I am right back with my family on that beach, in that memory. Even when I was single and on my own and went to the beach with my girlfriends, I always fried up some Peppers and Eggs.

Last week there were some gorgeous peppers in the market and I had some left over after my Cooking Salon so when I got home I made some Peppers and Eggs and ate them in a crusty French roll. I ate two actually, I guess I wanted to visit with my family longer in that beach memory.

The only thing I do not like about Peppers and Eggs is eating them as leftovers. I like them the first day and that is it. But not wanting to waste any leftovers, I chopped it up and made Egg Salad then served it on multi-grain toast. What a delicious fix!

Peppers and Eggs
3-4 cups a variety of your favorite peppers seeded and cut into rings
one sweet onion sliced, I used Cipollini
Kosher salt and pepper
Olive oil
6 eggs, scrambled
splash of milk
handful shredded mozzarella and Parmesan

In a medium skillet* over medium heat, heat about 4 tablespoons olive oil. Once hot add peppers and onions, sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and pepper, and cook until softened. About 15 minutes being sure to stir often. Mix eggs with a splash of milk and pour over pepper mixture toss in cheeses. Turn heat to medium low and cover with lid. Once eggs are almost set flip over to cook the the top. I do this by heating a bit of oil in another pan and carefully, so as not to spatter grease, flip the eggs into the second pan. Or if you do not want to do that, you can stick the pan under the broiler for a few minutes to cook the top. Make sure you have the kind of pan to do that so you don’t melt you pan’s handle. Serve warm on crusty rolls, Italian bread, or eat plain.
* I used non-stick pans to make this recipe.

For leftovers, make Egg Salad by chopping up the Peppers and Eggs, and mixing with a bit of mayonnaise, a splash of vinegar, a bit of Dijon mustard, chives, and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Serve on buttered toast.

1. A Year on the Grill
    Posted July 6, 2011 at 9:34 AM | Permalink

fun touch with the cherries for the garnish photo!

i would like the egg/pepper salad better.

And funny image (I have that same image) of Grandma in lace up shoes at the beach

great fun post

Dave

2. oneordinaryday
    Posted July 6, 2011 at 9:40 AM | Permalink

I love this post, Robin. For me, those memories get triggered by smells the most, but foods are a close second. Your description of your day at the beach is so vivid that I can picture your grandma in her boots. 🙂 Lovely!

3. Heather (Heather's Dish)
    Posted July 6, 2011 at 10:29 AM | Permalink

I've never heard of peppers and eggs but it sounds like a perfect pairing! What a beautiful way to remember time spent with your grandmother 🙂

4. ReenMarie
    Posted July 6, 2011 at 12:18 PM | Permalink

This sounds fabulous. I love omelettes with similar flavors. Will try this!

I am new to the blog…and delighted to be here!

Doreen

5. vanillasugar
    Posted July 6, 2011 at 2:48 PM | Permalink

you know what this reminds me of?
    back in the day boston used to be famous for their steak & egg subs.
    do you remember that? I do. Crave them all the time

6. Becki @ Becki's Whole Life
    Posted July 6, 2011 at 4:17 PM | Permalink

That sandwich is making me so hungry. Last night we were talking about all of the variations we could do with eggs and trying to incorporate them into more "quickie" dinners. This sounds fabulous. I love peppers and the flavor that they add to dishes. Combine with eggs, cheese and some good bread – divine!

7. Big Dude
    Posted July 6, 2011 at 8:00 PM | Permalink

Peppers, onions, cheese, eggs – it doesn't get any better than that.

8. Farida
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 10:15 AM | Permalink

Wonderful recipe, i love egg that looks so delicious and spicy, thanks for share.

farida

9. Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer
    Posted July 7, 2011 at 10:21 AM | Permalink

I love peppers and eggs, eat them all the time for a good breakfast 🙂 But i did not like them until a few years ago too….
    Thanks for coming by and commenting! I am so busy my post is a bit older…need to work on one today! On the cornstarch free powder- I replace baking soda with baking powder when I am being strict and have had great results. I have seen some homemade recipes with using tapioca starch instead but it is still a starch. Just make sure you buy a quality non-gmo and it will be fine unless your doing a strict no starch thing right now.

10. Anonymous
    Posted July 8, 2011 at 3:23 PM | Permalink

Made the peppers and eggs for brunch. They were delicious. I did add a clove of chopped garlic at the end of the cooking time before adding the egg and I did sprinkle the peppers with a little bit of sugar. Grandma did not use another pan when she flipped the peppers/eggs. She flipped it in a flat dish and then put it back in the fry pan. I finish the dish by placing in a 350 oven to finish cooking the eggs. I make sure pan handle is wrapped in foil. Ma

11. miri leigh
    Posted July 10, 2011 at 1:51 PM | Permalink

This is a perfect combination. I love fresh peppers with eggs…a very colorful and healthy dish. Thank you!

12. grace
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 4:47 PM | Permalink

sweet post, robin sue–i found myself nodding along. 🙂 the flavors in this dish are right up my alley and bonus–it's healthy too!

13. Ashley
    Posted August 19, 2011 at 10:18 AM | Permalink

Fabulous post! First time on your blog – enjoying what I am reading!