Teeny Tiny Baby Cinnamon Rolls in Mason Jars To Go

51AosgmBuqL__AA300_.jpg

I‘m leaving on a jet plane and when I get back I will be in the thick of packing my children’s lunches for school. Here we go again, and so soon. If you have been my friend for a while, you know that I go into Fall kicking and screaming, I think it is the routine that sends me into a spin. Monday through Friday, the same shtick over and over again. Routine is good for my personality style (flight-of-ideas, very random/abstract), but I don’t enjoy it. So I need a new game to keep me going, a new plan, a new toy. Ma and Himself are rolling their eyes in that here-she-goes-again gaze. I know they are!

Mason Jars. They’re my new gig for packing Himself’s and my kids’ lunches. Over 3700 lunches in the last 8 years packed for my kids alone, I think I can finally call myself an expert in this realm of motherhood. I have tried just about every container, hot and cold gizmo, and varieties of food, that I should have some sort of medal. The next 2 pics are with my iphone because I let my camera battery run out. See, totally unfocused am I.

Himself has even enjoyed Breakfast Mason Jar Meals. Homemade Sausage Gravy at the bottom, topped with pan fried taters, and scrambled eggs. A cute little jarred Cinnamon Roll, and a jar of mixed fruit.

Breakfast for lunch fit for the Laird of our wee clan!

And how will my kiddies get these Mason Jar Meals (MJMs) to school?

Yup. A double wine bottle carrier. Their Klean Kanteen on one side and MJMs on the others. Or gin in one and tonic in the other- for the teachers of course.

Well how about that Cinnamon Roll recipe, hum?

Teeny Tiny Baby Cinnamon Rolls in a Jar To Go!

2 cups unbleached AP flour

2 T. white sugar

1 1/4 T. baking powder

3/4 t. Kosher salt

1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces

3/4 cups buttermilk

In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients then cut in butter and mix until the dough is crumbly. Add buttermilk and mix until a nice dough forms. Place dough on a floured surface, knead a little, and roll into a big rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.

Filling

1/4 cup butter very soft

1 cup brown sugar

1 T. cinnamon

Mix the filling ingredients together and spread evenly over rolled dough. Roll the dough length-wise away from you and slice into 12 evenly sized buns. Place in greased 4 ounce jelly mason jars that are on a jelly roll pan. Bake for 18 minutes in a 350 degree oven or until golden and baked through. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Top with icing.

Icing

2 cups powdered sugar

cream

vanilla

Place sugar in a bowl and whisk in small amounts of cream until the icing is thick but spoonable. Stir in a few drops of vanilla. Spoon over Cinnamon Rolls and let set a bit before adding lids. Refrigerate up to one week or freeze for 6 months. Makes 12. If you would like you can add a bit of cream cheese to the icing. Yum.

Have a great rest of your summer and I will see you all again in September. Tschüs!

How to Make Mason Jar Meals- Part 1

How to Make Mason Jar Meals- Part 2

Scroll through these other Lunch Packing and On the Go Eating Posts.

1. Heather (Heather's Dish)
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM | Permalink

i adore jars…this is the cutest thing i've ever seen! i'm definitely making these ASAP. i love them!

2. Janie
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 11:44 AM | Permalink

They are just so cute! great traveling idea (or anytime)…

3. Janie
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 12:02 PM | Permalink

I Love jars..and you can SEE in them!! No more lost items!

One question..how long since everything is cooked, would you say the meals in a jar last?
    The usual 3 or so days?

4. Janie
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 12:04 PM | Permalink

Oh never mind…I saw the 5-7 days on the first part of the meal prep…

Sounds like a plan! Great for lunches and meals already to eat..my guys will love this!

5. Fallon
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 2:07 PM | Permalink

So smart! I love mason jars as well. They are great for everything from storing food to drinking out of. I guess you can even bake in them!

6. BigBearswife
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 4:07 PM | Permalink

Cute Cute Jar Food!!! I love this. What a great idea, to make jar meals!

7. oneordinaryday
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 8:28 PM | Permalink

I love all your mason jar ideas, Robin, and I usually think itty bitty treats are a delight. But when it comes to cinnamon rolls, I have to say the bigger the better! I'd need at least 4 mason jars full!! : )

8. Coconut
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 11:00 PM | Permalink

Brilliant, a stroke of genius all around on the MJMs.

Love the idea of meals all in one place, and in glass.

Clever, and a little hilarious, about using the wine caddy for a lunch bag.

No doubt that the teachers would much appreciate a G&T version.

My guess is that other mothers will soon be following suit for their children, and I bet the other kids at school will be very interested in them, too.

I'm on a "war" against plastic of all kinds.

If I have to use it, I go for BPA-free, but I still much prefer glass whenever possible.

It's biodegradable, it's easier to keep clean, and so much more.

Goodness. At least 3,700 school lunches in the last 8 years? No wonder you don't look forward to fall.

Have a fantastic vacation, and I hope you all come back with a refreshed, renewed feeling, and ready to take on the new school year.

Bon Voyage!

9. Lauren at Keep It Sweet
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 6:39 AM | Permalink

These are so adorable! Love them!

10. Kristina Emmons
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 5:23 PM | Permalink

You are magic! You have sparked even more jar meal ideas for me (breakfast too???), esp for the laird of our wee clan! Btw the salad ones are a huge hit with me, loved the recipes and you're right, planning ahead for these things saves money and we're well and stocked with the food after I make it. In fact, hubby was sighing with such regret when he looked at the fridge after I shopped, proclaiming there was NOTHING TO EAT. Then I made it all and now he can't believe we have so much to eat!

11. grace
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 4:18 AM | Permalink

oooh, great idea, robin sue! any method for getting cinnamon rolls into my belly is a-okay by me, but this one is extra cute. 🙂

12. Nic
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 10:39 AM | Permalink

These are so cute, I love your Mason jar ideas, very clever!

13. Biz
    Posted August 19, 2011 at 1:30 PM | Permalink

Love the tiny cinnamon rolls! Thought of you when I was at Smith Mountain Lake – hope you are having fun in Germany!!

"See" you when you get back!

14. Sandy @ RE
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 3:38 PM | Permalink

Brilliant and so fun, Robin. Put on my RE FB page today!

Posted August 21, 2011 at 4:24 PM | Permalink

Sandy- thanks so much for sharing!

16. Mary at Deep South Dish
    Posted August 24, 2011 at 6:12 PM | Permalink

Pretty darned cool Robin Sue!!

17. Therapist San Francisco
    Posted August 25, 2011 at 2:16 PM | Permalink

These look delicious and so cute! I can't wait to make them, thank you for sharing!

18. Neil Butterfield
    Posted August 26, 2011 at 8:25 AM | Permalink

Wow, these do look great, thanks for sharing with us.

19. Miri Leigh
    Posted September 4, 2011 at 2:38 PM | Permalink

Oh my goodness, my mouth is watering just looking at these. Can't wait to copy this!

20. Cheryl
    Posted September 8, 2011 at 9:20 PM | Permalink

I just came here though another recipe someone has pinned on Pinterest – love your blog and I'm super stoked to try the jar cinnamon buns 🙂 Thanks!

21. Debilee
    Posted August 12, 2012 at 12:05 PM | Permalink

I,m really intrigued by this recipe, especially since it has no yeast like most cinnamon rolls do. I will definately try this, they look sooooo good,all your jar recipes are amazing. keep up the good work

22. denise
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 6:20 AM | Permalink

Abt how large is the rectangle you make ? My luck, I’d roll too thin and not get good results. please let me know. I like details, structure !! :>) denisecott@yahoo.com

• Robin Sue
      Posted October 29, 2012 at 12:02 PM | Permalink

Hi Denise,
      I think it is about 12 inches by 6 inches. I can’t remember the exact amounts other than being sure it is about 1/4 inch thick. Enjoy!

23. Cortney Leigh
    Posted November 20, 2012 at 10:31 AM | Permalink

I’m planning on making mason jar Christmas gifts. Can I put them in a regular jar with parchment paper in between them? I don’t want to bake them in the jar, how long should they be bakes in the oven just on a pan?

24. Posted April 22, 2013 at 12:14 AM | Permalink

Well, I am way past making the kids meals (they’re 40 & 34 respectively), the hubby is now an ex- so it is just me and the cat. For the past 3 years it has been hard to adjusting cooking for just one person. But these little mason jar meals have given me a glimmer of hope. Easy to cook, individual portions, and already in their own storage containers!
    I am an absent minded artist who eats the wrong thing, or forgets to eat and passes out…lol..almost! So I am excited to try these and improve my eating habits. Thank you so much!

• Robin Sue
      Posted April 22, 2013 at 8:12 AM | Permalink

Glad to be of help! Enjoy the new adventure!!

25. Posted April 28, 2013 at 12:06 PM | Permalink

Bought a dozen quart jars, pint and half-pint…romaine lettuce, roasted chicken from Sams; lots of good stuff. Made up 6 salads, soup, dinners, breakfast (oatmeal with dried apricots) and baked cake in jars! Whew! Stacked all of it up in my fridge and was very pleased with myself, but not nearly as much as I was this morning when I stepped on the scale. Even though I have had cake every day since I started this the scale showed I had lost 4 lbs and I wasn’t even trying! Big smile to start the day! It is so easy now when I am hungry to pull out something good (and good for me). Yay!

• Robin Sue
      Posted April 29, 2013 at 8:23 AM | Permalink

This is awesome! I think these are the best way to control portions and prevent grabbing junk. Good for you- keep it up!